Friday, May 24, 2024

A SHORT CHILDREN'S STORY FROM DENISE

Grandfather came to visit today, a dear and kind man with a sweet smile. After an hour her Daddy left them in the garden so that they could get to know each other a little more. Grandfather lived very far away, and she had been a baby when he visited last. They sat on a blanket placed on the grass and shared a pot of tea and shortbread. 

Grandfather was curious about her garden friends Rabbit and Hedgehog. He wanted to know how long had she been able to understand them? She told him since she was a little girl. He chuckled and said that must have been a very long time ago. “I have known them forever” she said. 

Grandfather told her how much she reminded him of her Grandmother, Daddy’s Mother. She had the same smile, and the color of her hair and eyes were similar, that she had also understood her animals when she was a child. 

He asked if Rabbit and Hedgehog had names, and she told him no, they hadn’t chosen ones for themselves yet, and were content to be called Rabbit and Hedgehog. They listened to everything she had to say and she listened to them. She knew one day they would leave, but for now the three of them kept each other company, and they had wonderful conversations. “They are my family as Daddy is, and as you are Grandfather."

Her Daddy had given Darling Little Girl several rabbits for pets during her life, from the time she was a baby. She had learned how to take care of them and keep them safe. However, she didn’t like to keep them locked up. 

Daddy had built them homes and lined them with the softest hay. These homes were like mini mansions, small to us but not to them.  They were very comfortable and didn’t let in the cold during the winter, even on the coldest day. He always made sure they were snug and cozy. One morning, however, she decided it was time to open their doors and set them free. She didn’t just consider them as pets, they were her family, and you don’t lock your family up in cages she told her Grandfather. He agreed with her wholeheartedly.  

Her rabbits didn’t all leave, Rabbit stayed. After a day of exploration, he said to himself, "Okay, that's enough." He returned to the garden, jumped up on her lap and had been with her ever since. Hedgehog arrived soon after. Each day at teatime you will find them in this spot chatting away and telling each other the day’s happenings.

Grandfather asked Darling Little Girl what she thought if he were to move here, to live with her and Daddy. She did not hesitate, gave him a big hug and told him he had made her heart very happy. His smile matched her own. Between them they could have lit up the sun. Rabbit and Hedgehog could see their joy and they were happy also.

Sensing what they were about to tell her, Darling Little Girl turned to her furry family and they told her it was time. She was not sad she told them, as she knew other little girls and boys needed them as much as she had. She was happy that they would be taking care of those who needed them the most.

They did not say goodbye. Rabbit and Hedgehog knew that one day they would be back for tea and shortbread, to listen to the stories of another Darling Little Girl. She would look very much like her Grandmother, with the same smile, and similar color of hair and eyes. She would also be able to understand them as her Grandmother had, and her Grandmother before her.

As Grandfather and Darling Little Girl went into the house to be with Daddy, they closed the door behind them and laughter was heard. Rabbit looked at Hedgehog, and Hedgehog looked at Rabbit. They smiled and were content. It was time to hop through the gate, knowing that one day after having many adventures with other darling children, they would return.


The End, or perhaps The Beginning?



Thanks so much for reading my whimsical tale, and
I hope your day is a great one.





32 comments:

  1. Denise, what a lovely story you have told. The AI is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, so glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  2. It did keep me spellbound. I am still sad about the ending though! You are a very good storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so sorry you were sad Ginny, I expect you wanted the bunny and hedgehog to stay? Perhaps I should write an alternative ending, or maybe we could all write our own :) Thank you my friend, I enjoyed your input.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet story that is. I love the pictures too. It would make a fun little book for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, that's such a lovely compliment and very much appreciated :)

      Delete
  4. Very sweet and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is-sweet story, with great AI artwork accompanying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sweet story and the AI images. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Eileen and thank you so much. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Your story is incredibly sweet - so like Beatrix Potter's stories to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed it Carol. I was/am a fan of Beatrix Potter and she probably influenced me in creating the image. I love stories about animals and it was fun creating my own :) One day I was thinking about my parent's garden and about their family of hedgehogs, and the bunnies who hopped in every now and again. My dad was an avid gardener and it was full of the most amazing flowers. I never knew my own grandfathers, other than one who passed away when I was about 9. I always wished I could have gotten to know them later in life, to know them more and so the seeds of this story was sown :)

      Delete
  8. I am with Ginny, wishing they had stayed. a great story and love the graphics.. a blogger that I follow has built a hedgehog hotel in her yard in England and there is a family living in it. no little girl, but once in a while a small grandson visits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sandra and if I write another story I will make it a well rounded ending to make everyone happy :) I would love to see your English friend's hedgehog hotel!!!

      Delete
  9. A sweet and lovely tale, heartwarming, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, so glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  10. You are a great story teller, Denise. Cute illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet of you to say Ellen, thank you :)

      Delete
  11. What a delightful story, Denise, and I love, love, love the AI generated picture at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra! So very kind of you and I am very happy you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  12. I do hope it's the beginning, my friend. Darling in every way. Love your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the beginning my friend :) Thank you and I do appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, much appreciate your comment :)

      Delete
  14. Denise this is such a precious story and the graphics are perfect.
    I hope you have this protected with some type of copyright....
    HJugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Cecilia :) I am taking note of your comment and thank you. Sending hugs!

      Delete
  15. That is such a sweet story....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, so kind of you to say. I am glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!