Wednesday, May 8, 2024

HUNTLEY MEADOWS CONTINUED...

 

It was a day for conversations. Not ten feet into the park a little boy ran up with an insect box showing two colorful frogs inside. They were hard to see because there were fresh leaves inside. He chattered away as his mother came up behind him and whispered quietly, "They aren't real, just toys." I smiled and listened to the dear child telling me about his 'frogs'. The insect box was real and I told him how wonderful his frogs were. He said his mommy was going to get him more and I told him what a wonderful mommy he had. His sister came up behind him, maybe two years older, and started chatting also. 

They were with another lady and her two children about the same age. The mommies looked similar, sisters perhaps, and all were smiling. What a wonderful thing they were doing for their children, to introduce them to nature at such an early age.

I noticed a spider's web and snapped a photo.
I found this plant very interesting. Checking with my plant app I was given two dogwoods, Red osier dogwood and Silky dogwood. I am not sure which is correct. They aren't the dogwood I am more familiar with. You can check the link on their names to see what I mean.

This is the same area where we saw the Canada Geese and their goslings. Every time we visit, the water level is different due to the beaver dams, which were always very visible. The last couple of times it has been on the drier side. One of the photographers told us that the park people had told him the beavers have moved to the west and took their beaver dams with them. The lodge that I have become used to, near a bench we always sit on, is slowly disappearing back into the mud. They weren't discouraged, they just upped and left!  We were sorry to hear that as we have loved seeing the beavers over the years, along with their intricate engineering skills. Maybe they will move back. I will always remain hopeful!
One constant is the frog! Thankfully they are still around! All you had to do was look at a damp, muddy area and there they were, occasionally obscured by twigs and reeds. 
What we were actually seeing was the American Toad.
They are found throughout large portions of North America but are not generally present in the southern states. This is what I read anyhow, and perhaps our southern bloggers can agree or disagree on that. American toads shed their skin every couple of week or so while growing. They can also eat up to 1,000 insects a day!  
This Snapping turtle was a bit shy!
There were lots of dragonflies in the area. I came across a few settled on the boardwalk. I am still very much a novice on identifying many things, dragonflies are on top of the list. I believe this is a male Common Whitetail Dragonfly.  If you are more knowledgeable, please let me know if I am incorrect. I would rather know than not.
Below is a female Common Whitetail Dragonfly. The Juvenile males are very similar but their wings are more like the male above, whereas the females are more like this. You can go here to see what I am talking about. Anyhow, it was fun to read about them.
This isn't a very good photo but it looks like a female Red-winged blackbird. It is easier to identify the male...
and here he is. I took more photos of him because he was right on the sidewalk as we were walking towards him to go back to our car...
and a collage of the same bird. If you click on this link, you can hear its distinctive call. 

I think I will stop here with today's post, and will share more photos another time. Thanks for looking and I wish you all a great day!






54 comments:

  1. A toad, really! How splendid! It makes me think of all the fairy tales with toads in them. Wonderful dragonfly photos! I'm glad you took a photo of the web and not the spider!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fairy tales are full of them :) Thank you Ginny, I'm then perhaps glad I didn't see the spider as I am fascinated by them and probably would have.

      Delete
  2. I would like to see frogs and toads in our garden environment. A small pond would be a good way to encourage them. Beavers have been introduced into wetland areas of the UK. They're clever creatures and I would love to see them. Your wildlife photos are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, that's very interesting about beavers being introduced to the UK wetlands. I would be very interested in reading about that. Much appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Another delightful day in Huntley Meadows. For you and others. It is way too long since I have seen a frog or a toad. Or a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a place we can be guaranteed such sightings most of the year :) Glad you enjoyed Sue, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Loved seeing the frog. The bird is a beauty too Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very distinctive call that became the sound of my stay in California and can bring it back instantly! Thank you, Denise aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! So glad you got the chance to hear them. Thank you Cloudia and aloha! :)

      Delete
  6. All the photos are wonderful but I love the red winged blackbird. The only time I see them they are flying past me. I can tell what they are by that beautiful flash of red on their wing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very striking aren't they Ann? :) I remember the first time I saw one when we moved to this area. I found them amazing and still do.

      Delete
  7. The frogs or toads look so lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them roentare, I am rather fond of them :)

      Delete
  8. Dragonflies are so interesting and I enjoy learning about them. They are survivors, having been around in one form or another for millennia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Janice, fascinating creatures! :)

      Delete
  9. The enjoyment of nature is eternal and it’s great to see young parents introducing their children to it. We need more parents like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better David, thank you :)

      Delete
  10. How I loved the pictures of the frogs, the web and the dragonfly!
    It is beautiful and very beneficial to walk in nature!
    Thanks Denise for the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos from the park! I love the birds, frogs and the dragonflies. Great captures. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, so glad you enjoyed :) Wishing you the same!

      Delete
  12. Lovely to see all the wildlife in your post today and yesterday. You took some great pictures of the toad and the Canada geese with their goslings. We have frogs in our pond here but no toads as far as I am aware. Shame about the beavers moving away though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beverley, happy you enjoyed them :) I still hope they will move back and keeping fingers crossed. It is very interesting how the bird life changes when the beavers alter the landscape. Everything is certainly connected.

      Delete
  13. I saw a few redwing black birds last week, last year i saw an entire tree full of them on our mornng walk. we have always had 5 different butterflies, several dragonflie, frogs and toads and cuban frogs, bees, and birds. now we have only 3 butterflies, and grackles. none of the other. asumming it is the drought. we miss some of them but not the loud cuban frogs. i would love to see all the wild life there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, I didn't realize you could see them that far south. Very interesting about your sightings. No, I don't suppose I would miss the loud Cuban frogs or any kind of noisy frog for that matter :) I would love to come back to Florida to see all your wildlife down there. They are amazing!

      Delete
  14. Awesome pictures. I am always amazed at the close-up pictures of dragon flies and yours were no exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that :)

      Delete
  15. Denise, I am no help as far as identifying dragonflies, but enjoyed seeing the frog once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) I like to identify them but the important thing is that we keep seeing them. Amazing insects!

      Delete
  16. Loved the post and the sign off photo a LOT

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got some great photos! How sweet that littles think you are someone they can talk to, so wonderful. It's nice to get out and about and enjoy the beauty we are surrounded with. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Ellen, children can be such dear conversationalists. Thanks so much, you take care too :)

      Delete
  18. It's too bad you didn't have the little frog when the little boy showed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) he would have been so excited. However, I'm sure they saw many on their walk. They were out and about that day.

      Delete
  19. What a wonderful variety of beauty you have shared today! Loved seeing all of them, Denise. I haven't seen a red winged blackbird in ages and you have captured him beautifully. So happy to see another snapping turtle and darling toads. Your conversation with the child was great. You are so right, they have a wonderful mother that is introducing her children to nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy we could share him Martha Ellen, and all the others too :) Yes, truly wonderful to be introduced to all things in nature at such a young age. I am very thankful to my own father who did the same. Mum was being introduced right along with me being married to Dad and that was thanks to his mother :)

      Delete
  20. Lovely time spent in Huntley Meadows, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always have a great time there :) Thank you Jan, I'm very glad you enjoyed. All the best to you too!

      Delete
  21. A wonderful exploration of nature, Denise.
    It's great to see parents introducing their children to the wonders of the outdoors.
    Your photos beautifully captured the wildlife.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Veronic Lee, parents do their children a great favor by introducing them to nature. Thank you so much and a Happy Wednesday to you. I am very late answering comments this week. I haven't had as much time on the computer.

      Delete
  22. I love the encounter of the little boy! This looks like a wonderful spot to walk and absorb nature, but I especially love the photos of your real-life frog (toad!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, these little encounters do make a visit so worthwhile. The toad photos are my favorite. I always enjoy seeing them :)

      Delete
  23. i too am always happy to see young families enjoying nature, kids being introduced to the joys of the outdoors. i always hear the red winged blackbird before i see it. ours have just recently returned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful isn't it? I'm glad your red-wings have returned :)

      Delete
  24. Denise, I learn so much about nature from you, my friend! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely compliment Billie Jo, I appreciate that very much my friend and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  25. I enjoyed every single photo! I so wish I had a place close to me to visit. I am missing the strip mining area where we used to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, so glad Rose :) This strip mining area sounds very interesting. I wonder if its anything like the garden we went to in Canada years ago, Butchart Gardens. The owners after taking all they needed from the quarry, gave back to the community by making it a gorgeous garden! I would love to go back there one day.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!