Monday, July 25, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - COLD PEANUT NOODLE SALAD WITH CUCUMBERS

Today's recipe came from Alexandra's Kitchen and you can see the original here.  

I recommend going to Alexandra’s blog to see what else she has to offer.  Photos are always fun and I might not repeat all the tips I have read, a few.

Not only were we looking for a main course salad on a very hot day, but we also wanted one that was meatless.  This meal is vegan but if you love Asian food, you are not going to miss the meat.  

Cold Peanut Noodle Salad with Cucumbers

From prep to table, this takes about 30 minutes 

Serves 4


For the dressing: 

1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari (some manufacturers add flavor enhancers, which are from meat or fish, so check the ingredient label on your soy sauce.  I used low-sodium.  Tamari is vegan and usually gluten free if you are following such things)  

2 tablespoon sesame oil

2 tablespoon maple syrup

1/4 cup water plus more as needed

2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated

2 teaspoons grated or finely minced fresh ginger (for my minced fresh ginger and minced garlic, I used these great little individual packets by Dorots from Trader Joe's - see more below recipe if you are interesting in this product.)

2 to 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, such as Sambal Oelek, optional

Flaky sea salt such as Maldon (we just used Kosha salt)  


For the salad:

1 lb. frozen (or refrigerated fresh) Udon noodles, or 8 oz. dried noodle of choice

1 to 2 large cucumbers (I used 2/3 of a hot-house cucumber)

2 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced 

1/2 cup cilantro leaves, optional

1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped

1/4 cup peanut-ginger dressing plus more to taste


Make the dressing:

In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, soy or tamari sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, water, ginger, garlic, and chili-garlic sauce if using. Season with a pinch of sea salt/Kosha and taste. Adjust with more lime or salt if needed. As the dressing sits, it may thicken. If it does, thin with a tablespoon of water until it reaches the right consistency. 


Boil the noodles: 

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Cook the noodles of choice according to package directions (frozen Udon noodles take roughly 5 minutes to cook through.  Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.  (Denise's note: our refrigerated fresh noodles took 3 minutes.  It will take about 8 minutes for dried.)


Prepare the cucumbers: 

You can use a spiralizer, or a mandolin, or even slice extra thinly, almost paper thin.  To spiralize cut off the ends of each cucumber, then fit the cucumber into the spiralizer and turn until the cucumber has been transformed into thin 'ringlets'.


Make the salad: 

Place the noodles into a large bowl. Pat dry with a towel if still wet. Toss with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Noodles should be thoroughly coated in the dressing.

Add the cucumbers, scallions, cilantro, if using, and peanuts. 

Toss again and taste. Add more dressing if needed. Season with a pinch of sea salt, or in our case, Kosher salt. 

Serve immediately or transfer to quart containers and stash in the fridge. 

You can store extra dressing in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. 


Alexandra's Notes:

This salad is very versatile.  You can use any preferred raw vegetable, any herb or noodles in your pantry.  

Peanut Butter: I’ve used more natural brands such as Maranatha and Trader Joe’s to Jif and Skippy, and the dressing tastes great regardless. If using a natural brand, be sure to stir it prior to measuring to ensure the oil is emulsified. 

Peanuts: Alexandra uses Trader Joe’s roasted peanuts, 50% less salty. It’s nice not having to toast peanuts, so look for roasted peanuts if you are shopping. 

From Denise: 

A beginner's guide to using a spiralizer can be found here. Be careful when using them.  I was a little too vigorous when trying to do the carrots and one slipped.  I had a tiny puncture on my thumb/ knuckle but it stung.  The blades are sharp also FYI but slip in conveniently into its slot. I had no problem with the cucumber.  Gregg took over with the carrot and ended up using a peeler to peel strips off for the salad - that worked well.  If you have a food processor with the appropriate blade, you can use that too I would imagine.  (Our carrots were just too thin to use on the spiralizer.)  All that said, I wouldn't have a problem using it again as there are days I can be a bit klutzy and this was one of them.

This spiralizer is similar to the one I have, but I bought mine at a store a couple of years' ago.

This mini version was shown on Alexandra's blog, recommended by another blogger and very reasonably priced.

A center core is left which you can either chop up and add to your salad or eat it as a snack right there and then.  In hothouse cucumbers the seeds are edible and aren't bitter tasting. They are always on my shopping list.  I buy no other type though I do like Persian Cucumbers, thanks to being introduced to them in our Blue Apron days. 

What did we think of our salad?

It was a great salad and a lot different to the ones we usually put together.  Gregg came across it on Instagram.  Now, tastes do differ but we both gave it a 10 out of 10.  Delicious and very refreshing on a hot day.  If you look at the ingredients and they appeal to you, we can highly recommend it.  

Just to let you know, I don't get any benefits from companies I talk about on here.  If I like a product I will share.  

Instead of using regular garlic and ginger, I had already found these packets from Trader Joe's freezer section.  I have used them for other meals lately as I have had them in my freezer for a week or so. It is always nice to use fresh ingredients but there are days when I don't like too much fussing in the kitchen and like to use short cuts.  Other choices they do are chopped dill, chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, chopped basil, chopped chili and crushed turmeric.  They are easy to pop out and you put the rest back into the freezer to use for other meals.   Besides Trader Joe's, they also sell them at Walmart, Whole Foods and Kroger, according to Dorot's website.  In other countries you probably have your own equivalent product.

There were leftovers which we had for lunch the next day, and it tasted even better.  

I used the spiralizer again since making this salad after suggesting a simple sandwich for dinner.  It consisted of two slices of bread spread with butter (mayonnaise would have been good also), slices of a locally grown tomato bought today (so delicious), grated cheddar cheese, the cucumber (we chopped them up even more by hand) and topped it off with alfalfa sprouts.  Very yummy and again, simple and no fussing.

What is your favorite sandwich?  Always looking for some ideas.


That's it for this week's recipe.  Thanks for looking and I hope you have a great week.





32 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshing for a summer day. I have been looking for these frozen cubes, now thanks to you I know just where to buy them, and will this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) Happy I solved that mystery for you.

      Delete
  2. It does look nice, like you gadget. Would have to have meat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret and easy to do to add your favorite :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e boa semana para você também.

      Delete
  4. I would replace the cucumber and the cilantro but this has a lot of promise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and yes, you could replace this with a more favorite vegetable and herb :)

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious! The packets of garlic and ginger are a great idea, they save time preparing the meal. Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I do like them just for that. You take care and have a great new week also :)

      Delete
  6. This looks really good. I've never used one of those spiralizers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I have seen recipes for these with zucchini and using them to replace noodles :)

      Delete
  7. This looks so delicious! I have one of those twirly cutters. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Sandi :) That’s great! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. this I can eat if I leave off the peanuts and use peanut butter for it. I have no sandwich recipes, we buy ours or it is the pb and J, or balonga and mayo, pineapple and mayo, tomato and mayo . Bob does his own and adds cheese, tomatoe, lettuce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra :) All those sandwich choices sound great.

      Delete
  9. Yum. I love oriental dishes. We don't have a Trader Joe's, but I do have garlic cloves & ginger root. Chilled salads for the main dish on a hit day sounds next to perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Anni and thank you :) I couldn’t agree more.

      Delete

  10. I will try this recipe, I love cucumbers. Have a nice week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great! Thank you Lucyna and I wish you a nice week also :)

      Delete
  11. Ottima insalata fresca, molto invitante!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie mille. Sono felice che la mia ricetta ti piaccia. Grazie per la visita :)

      Delete
  12. those packets from trader joes are awesome. fresh is great BUT it's nice to have those ingredients on hand, ones you don't always have fresh. it won't stop you from making a great recipe. i like fresh garlic but sometimes i run out. this would be good to have in the freezer!!

    we LOVE sandwiches, we had them last night for dinner. it was 100 degrees, i needed something easy and light. our favorites, BLT's and ham with swiss cheese. we had been to the specialty food market so everything was super fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, I agree and your sandwich ideas sound delicious :) Thanks for sharing those.

      Delete
  13. That looks really refreshing. Cold. Peanut butter and cucumber -- two of the better "food groups!" thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, glad you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  14. I suspect that could get too spicy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t like things too spicy either William. Perhaps if you left the chili garlic sauce out, it might be more to your taste :)

      Delete
  15. Your salad is beautiful, Denise. I'm sure we would all enjoy this as something good since it's cold. I used to follow Alexandra and made her bread all the time. So easy. Alas I'm eating low carb and don't make bread anymore so I don't eat sandwiches either. But if I did a BLT is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha Ellen :) I will have to check Alexandra’s bread recipes. I try to keep the carbs down also but every now and again I indulge :). Now, a BLT is a favorite with both of us. We were going to make one today but opted for a meal with few carbs. Ah well, maybe next week!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!