Monday, July 11, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - SIDE DISH: POTATO AND PARSNIP MASH

There is no link to this recipe, it is something that I have had in my head for a while, an old dish that my mother used to make when I was a child, and one I haven't thought about doing in a long time.  

It is an age-old recipe you may have your own version.  If you do, I would love to read about it in a comment.  Mine is simple, nothing very fussy, and you have to like parsnips.  You can also leave out the parsnips and make regular mashed potatoes, or leave out the potatoes and just make the parsnips.


Mashed Potato and Parsnip Mash


Ingredients:

Use your favorite potatoes, as many as you need for each person.  Peel and cut into large chunks.

The same applies for the parsnips, peel and cut into large chunks (I usually use equal amounts but less is okay too).

A big pat of butter or you can use a little avocado oil or olive oil

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (you can leave this out if you prefer)

A small amount of milk (I used 2% but you can also use broth if going non-dairy.  Up to you on how much, for the consistency you prefer)

Salt and Pepper to taste


Pour enough water to cover the veggies and bring to a boil.  When it reaches the boiling point, cook for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and parsnips are cooked enough to mash.  You don't want to get them too mushy.

Carefully check for doneness by using the tip of a knife.  If it slides in easily then your veggies are done.  Preaching to the choir here but I add this just in case new-to-the-kitchen people are reading this. 

Have your colander ready in the sink and again carefully drain the potatoes and parsnips.  Put back into your pot, or use a separate mixing bowl.  Let them dry out a minute or two after draining.   

Add butter and milk to mash, also nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.  Mix until well combined and for the texture you prefer. 

People often use a mixer, which I have done.  I have also seen people putting them in a blender and pulsing until smooth.  I am not one who likes the super-smooth mixed mash and prefer to have a little more texture.  Fortunately, my dear other half prefers it this way also.  For that I use a potato masher similar to this one.



I served this with a cilantro-lime chicken dish, which I will share another time.  Also, a mixed green salad.  

I made enough for leftovers as I would like to do potato/parsnip patties for lunch the next day.

That's it!




39 comments:

  1. It looks really pretty! And comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you. I prefer a little texture. I have also added sweet potato and/or pumpkin to our mash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigado :) Um abraço e uma boa semana para você também.

      Delete
  4. I usually fix this with pork roast and serve with gravy (pan drippings).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I have never tried parsnips. I do not mind a little bit of lumps in my mash potatoes. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. parsnips are not on my diet but if they were I would love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good and healthy eating ... marrying parsnips with potatoes! With your cooking interests and skills, the folk dining at your table are very fortunate, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment Penelope :)

      Delete
  8. I like mashed potatoes but I haven’t tried them this way. I do like some texture to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum also used to mix in suede (rutabaga) instead of the parsnip :)

      Delete
  9. I love parsnips, those turned out a lovely color

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't have thought of this -- sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had parsnips so don't know what they taste like. Looks like an interesting thing to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it one day Gigi :) I would be interested in what you thought of it.

      Delete
  12. What a tasty side dish, Denise. I'll have to try it. Parsnips are something I don't usually buy. I like the addition of nutmeg--sounds good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, if you try it, I hope you will enjoy :) You have a good week also :)

      Delete
  13. Love your willingness to create good meals in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am married to a willing food taster Ellen, that helps a lot :)

      Delete
  14. This looks and sounds a good mix Denise, many thanks for sharing the idea.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  15. Hope my comment came through ok?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you made it through. Thank you Jan, I always check my comments before I publish them. Sometimes it takes a while for me to get back to read and publish. Thanks for being patient and all the best to you again :)

      Delete
  16. Shouldn't have read just before I started fixing our dinner -- now I wish I were having this! Also, I'm really impressed with your food photography skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, so lovely to see you. I guess you are back in Oregon? Looking forward to seeing photos of your trip. Thank you for the sweet compliment :)

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I hope you will give them a try William. I would be interested in what you think :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!