Tuesday, July 5, 2022

MASON NECK STATE PARK - PART 1 - VISITOR CENTER

We haven't been here in many years.  I don't know why.  It's not as if it is any further than some of the places we have been to.  I said as much the day we decided to go when Gregg suggested it.  I was interested in how it got its name, and you can read that history here.

It was hot and humid but not so bad really, I have felt worse.  We managed a couple of hours walking before we decided to go.
But first, time to enjoy the park.  A statue of an eagle was outside.  This is one I took and below is Gregg's photo, which I used for my 4th of July post.  We took a few photos of the statue and Gregg took the one below.  It is my favorite.  

 I had fun with it later, removing objects to make it look like the Bald Eagle was flying.  I made him free-floating in Paint Shop Pro, and also used my ArtCard app.  I will share those eventually.

Below is the plaque about this beautiful piece.  I did a search and found a website for historical markers, and this was featured.  You can look at them at this link.  If you are searching for another historical marker, this would be a good source of information.  The sculptor's home page, sharing other pieces of his, can be found here.  He is exceptionally talented.
The plants were in front of the visitor center. I realized when I got home and looked at our photos, I didn't have many of flowers, except for these few.
I am always drawn to Coneflowers...
but can't remember seeing yellow ones.
There was also a Common buttonbush on our walk later on, and a couple of leaf photos (those will be part of my next post).  
The visitor center was impressive, and we enjoyed browsing.  On the floor is an area map and we are in the darker section, on the State Park side.  We are looking forward to exploring the wildlife refuge another time.
There is an interactive map where you can remove the buttons at the bottom, and place them where you have seen that particular wildlife, if you end up here after a walk.
A clever idea. Fun for little kids and big kids alike.  
There were birds on display.
I missed taking a photo of the ID of the gull above, but I believe this is a Glossy Ibis...

Another display showing, a Bald Eagle and a Juvenile Bald Eagle...
with explanation.  Enlarging my photos helps with reading.


On one wall a TV screen, and then there are wooden decoys, a punt gun for duck hunting, arrowheads, a page from the will of George Mason who is one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, old bricks, a recreation of a woolly mammoth tooth, petrified wood, and an old still.
Not for the faint of heart if you are not a hunter, but for many it was a way of life, to put food on the table for their families, and an income to put a roof over their heads.









A casting of a Mastodon Tooth.










We found a back room with terrariums.  In one we met Myrtle the Turtle.  This area looks like it is a classroom for young people.  We headed for the back door but first we had a look around. Myrtle was very curious and stared back at us through the glass.
Myrtle is a Red-eared Slider and you can read the information about her below and again, enlarging the photo will allow you to better read the information.
I also came across this cute frog.
I have never heard of a Fowler's Toad before.

A poster of various songbirds found at the park.
And that is about it for the visitor center.  We found a door open at the back of the building and went outside.  A follow-up post will be shared as soon as I can put one together.

Thanks for looking and have a great day.






24 comments:

  1. I love state parks like this. Wonderful nature displays and history at the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, you have some beautiful places down in Florida. I was fortunate enough to visit a few on our last trip down there :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Fico muito feliz que tenha gostado das minhas fotos :) Muito obrigado! Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! I know I could spend a day just at the visitor's center!! How incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent a lot longer too Anni, thank you :)

      Delete
  4. This looks like a wonderful place to visit. So much to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, there certainly was a lot to see :)

      Delete
  5. Great place to visit. Those huge guns and profligate killing almost drove some species to extinction and if not for timely intervention many of the ducks we see today would not be here. Even now they face challenges, primarily due to habitat loss, pollution of their environment, and increasingly from climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that eagle is just amazing, the artist is truly gifted. I love the one you edited and it could be a real eagle if I did not know it was not. Mason Neck is a beautiful place and I am so glad our states have all these state parks to help us remember and see what was before we paved it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree totally Sandra :) I was very happy how the editing came out. I am not always as successful. Glad you enjoyed. We are very fortunate that there were people who saw how important it was to set these lands aside for future generations to enjoy.

      Delete
  7. That's a very beautiful state park. I would love to visit it daily! Eagle statue looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, if I lived closer I would be there every day. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. I wish we had something like this in Hawaii. Very interesting information, Denise. The Bald Eagle statues look so beautiful. What a regal bird! Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Gigi, and yes it is a regal bird.

      Delete
  9. I haven’t been there in decades. Love the eagle and your artistic version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it just as much as the last time Linda :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like a fascinating place to visit. So much to see!
    I enjoyed the fabulous photos, Denise.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Veronica Lee, so glad you enjoyed. Happy Wednesday to you also :)

      Delete
  11. You certainly know how to get the most out of a nature center!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made it very easy Yogi, so much to browse through :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!