Wednesday, February 24, 2016

15th day of our vacation - 12-30-15

Wednesday, December 30th, 2015

The first thing we did was to find a post office so that I could mail a birthday card off to a friend.


From the post office we drove north as far as the Kilauea Lighthouse.....


which was located at


There were a lot of Nene Geese here, but also other birds.  I took photos of all the markers that were placed near the lighthouse.


I shared some photos of the Red-footed Boobie we saw flying overhead before, but here is another shot.



As for the other birds there were an amazing amount on the cliffs but couldn't get a decent shot. 



The Laysan Albatross were all the way over on the other side, another cliff face.














There were whales in the distance but they were hard to see. We could only make out their spouts, which you could barely distinguish from the white caps.  It was enough to know that they were there. 



Did you know that the Humpback Whale's spout is actually a result of its breathing?  Because the whale spends long periods under water, the air in the resulting release when spouting is under massive pressure and can rise up to 13 feet in the air.   I also found it interesting to learn that the lungs of a Humpback Whale are the size of a small car and when the whale breaths it will exchange up to 90% of its lung capacity.   



Humbacks travel 16,000 miles a year at a leisurely five miles an hour.  They eat only in the summer months when they are in the polar regions.  In the winter they are in the Hawaiian islands breeding and giving birth.  They grow up to 40 tons.



There was also a marker identifying native plants.



The plant with the orange flowers is identified in the sign above.  It is the Ilima.  If you want to see more Native Hawaiian plants you can go to this website.


I am aware that the next photo is not everyone's cup of tea, but this intrigued me.  It is a Hawaiian garden spider.  Its bite is venomous but not deadly.  I didn't get that close.



We walked around the lighthouse. This is non-functioning and the light has been off for 30 years.

  

It stands 52 feet tall and is located at the northernmost point of the entire Hawaiian islands. 



Built in 1913, its beam could reach 90 miles out to sea and the lens was the largest of its type ever made.  It is one of Hawaii's National Historic Landmarks.


These are personalized bricks that make up a path near the lighthouse.  Names are inscribed with messages in loving memory of departed loved ones, and also of people who have donated funds to help restoration. 



There were Nene everywhere.  I have become familiar with them since my time on Kauai.  When we were in Maui years ago I looked for this goose as I had read about them and was eager to see one.  I was told I could do this at the top of the Haleakala Crater.  I did not see hide nor feather that whole trip.  I do remember coming across the Silversword plant but did not realize what I was looking at.  Fortunately I took photos so that I could research them later.    



So now here I am having had many sightings of the Nene Goose, and they were walking about all over the place, even in the parking lot.  People really have to take care when they are driving and...



pay attention to all the signs.


The cliffs were also covered with birds, such as the Red-footed Boobie and Albatross.....



as well as others that I've mentioned above. 



We watched a pair of Red-crested Cardinals, this one with a caterpillar in its beak.



There were other tourists walking about.  We went into the visitor center and bought more postcards and a couple of souvenirs.  



You can read more about the lighthouse here.   It says it is closed until April 16th (2016) for a trail stabilization project. 



On the way back and because it was dinnertime, Gregg wanted to stop at another little shack he had noticed a few days ago, again colorfully decorated.  



After sharing a plate we called it a day and went back to the condo, opened the sliding door, listened to the surf and watched the ocean til bedtime.  We noticed that the ladies have been in to clean the place up.  It looks really nice. 



If you missed any of my daily journals and would like to catch up, I am sharing their links below.

Oahu

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10

Kauai


17 comments:

  1. Quite a paradise to have spent time in. My favourite of these is that cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see that lighthouse on Kauai, but we have seen the one at Makapuu on Oahu many times. Michelle Obama hiked the Makapuu Lighthouse trail during her vacation here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having us along, D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite place on Kauai. I spent hours there just watching waves crash in. I saw turtles but didn't see any whales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Denise, what an awesome post. I love all the birds, scenic views and the whale spouting. Gorgeous collection of photos. Enjoy your Thursday and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Denise for allowing me to tag along through these photos. What a wonderful tour. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. even the signs in Hawaii are stunning and i really like all of them. my favorite is the red footed boobie of all the signs. love the high stepping goose to... did not know about the lungs of the whale.. thanks for the visit across the pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so fascinating Denise! I'll probably never be able to visit Hawaii so your tour & info is wonderful! So much to see & learn about! Glad you got a great photo of the spider with out getting too close!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, I don't know where to start...I loved that silversword plant. I had never heard of it. Oh, all the facts about the humpback whale...I did not know any of it and found that fascinating. I love that lighthouse, and would enjoy the birds immensely if I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is an awesome post! so much interesting info! it's so neat that those Wedge-tailed Shearwaters use burrows for nesting. I'm going back through this post again. :)
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so amazed at all the birds ... Thanks for sharing Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All great pics, and I like the garden spider! They are helpful beasties, control pests.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would really enjoy seeing Nene in its natural habitat. The only place I have seen this species is at Slimbridge in England where they had (have?) a captive breeding programme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it that tourists often see even more of the islands than we do. This just shows us that we need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Denise!:)A fascinating post with so many interesting things to see and learn about. Wonderful assortment of images.
    Have a great weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!