Monday, February 28, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CHEESY BLACK BEAN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES WITH...

Arugular and Poached Eggs


Added with all the other ingredients, this is one of those meals that I feel good about eating.  It was very tasty and if this seems like it could be for you, enjoy!

Cheesy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Arugular and Poached Eggs - serves 4

I got this recipe here.


4 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup black beans
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
2 cups fresh Arugular
1 teaspoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
4 eggs, cooked to your own taste.
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  

Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and then place on a baking sheet. 

Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more. Remove and let cool slightly, at least 5 minutes.  

Carefully slice down the center of the potato, pushing the skin open.  Stuff each potato with an ounce of fontinaYou can pop the potato back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.

Season Arugular with olive oil and lemon juice, then add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Add it on top of the black beans, then add your cooked eggs on top of the Arugular.  

You can cook the eggs when the sweet potatoes have a few minutes left so that they are ready to put on top and ready to serve.


Sweet potatoes is a particular favorite of mine but not for my Dear Other Half.  Most of the time we like the same foods but there are occasions when we go our own way and choose something different at dinnertime.  

What did I think of this originally?  A dish I have made several times over the years, very tasty. As I made this for myself it was easy enough to cut the ingredients down for one person: 1 sweet potato, 1/4 cup black beans, 1 oz. cheese, a handful of Arugular, a smidgen of olive oil and lemon juice, and one egg.  

You can see from my photo that there is no egg on top.  Next time there will be. 

I had no fontina but did have Wisconsin Cheddar, which I grated. 

I used spring greens instead of Arugula. 

Information on the sweet potato: they are a very nutritional vegetable, high in vitamin A, vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboglavin and thanks to their orange color, are high in carotenoids.  Plus, they are fat-free, relatively low in sodium and have fewer calories than white potatoes (though they do have more sugar).  

It is an antioxidant powerhouse and is linked to anti-aging benefits, cancer prevention and maintenance of good eyesight.  I found all this at the National Institute of Health. There is a lot more information at this site.  

Though I know their benefits and how healthy they are, I would still eat a sweet potato because I enjoy them.  It is, however, nice to know how good they are for you.


Thanks for looking and have a great week!





32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e uma boa semana para você também.

      Delete
  2. That's quite the interesting combination. I do love sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) not something I would have put together before this recipe, but it was delicious. My journey was definitely out of the box on this one.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Looks yummy and healthy! I love sweet potatoes.
    Take care, enjoy your day. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thank you Eileen and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  4. I love sweet potatoes, and have a big one I need to cook. this looks sooo good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love it when something you really really like turns out to be really really healthy! We are the same in that i love those baked sweets, but Bill isn't crazy for them. However, I found a recipe on the NYT cooking that he liked. You steam the potatoes (my steamer basked has just exactly room for two medium sized ones). Then the recipe called for a tahini butter mix (which might counter-act all the benefits) but ohhh it is so good. Let me know if you want the recipe. Bill said that steaming them was what made the difference and that was what the recipe developer said. But I think it was the tahini butter ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do Sallie, it's like winning a prize :) Your NYT recipe sounds yummy and I would love to have it when you have the time to share. If Bill liked them with the tahini butter mix, maybe Gregg will too. Thanks so much Sallie :)

      Delete
    2. Denise, I attempted to send you the recipe in an email from the Times cooking website, but I don't know if it worked or not -- please let me know, if it did not work, I will try another way.

      Delete
    3. Hi Sallie, it worked, I got the recipe. Thanks so much! I left a message for you on your blog and hope you got that. When checking on this post I thought I should leave you one here also.

      Delete
  6. I will definitely try them. I bake my sweet potatoes in the microwave. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great timesaver cooking them in the microwave Anni, thanks for the tip :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Not everyone's cup of tea, but you can leave them off, no problem. Thanks William :)

      Delete
  8. It's sounds different and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a combination I would never have thought of, and was surprised how much it worked. Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  9. It's so nice when we enjoy something that is so good for us! My Mama loved sweet potatoes and we had them a lot as children. Your recipe is quite interesting. I would have never thought of sweet potatoes and black beans--I must give this combination a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, totally agree :) How nice to read about your Mama and the sweet potatoes when you were children. I didn't have a sweet potato until I got married, and then it was cooked by someone else when we went to dinner.

      Delete
  10. Looks so delish and healthy.

    I love sweet potatoes.

    Happy Tuesday, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee :) Happy Tuesday to you also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!