Sunday, July 4, 2021

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY - AND A POEM BY WALT WHITMAN



I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
Those of mechanics, each one singing his best as it should be blithe and strong, 
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work,
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,
The wood-cutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
The day what belongs to the day - at night party of young fellows, robust, friendly,
Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.

~Walt Whitman~ 




Happy 4th of July!






26 comments:

  1. This is a new poem to me! You always find the BEST ones!!! And the flag photo is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are always so kind with your comments Ginny, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Happy 4th of July Denise, have a beautiful day...lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I appreciate you my Tasmanian friend :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I appreciate you my Australian friend :)

      Delete
  4. Happy 4th of July! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Obrigada amigo, um abraço e continuo boa semana pra você :)

      Delete
  6. A nice tribute to a very special day, Denise, and wishing you also a wonderful 🇺🇸 Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, and I hope yours was the same :)

      Delete
  7. I never heard this one before. Happy 4th of July Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, I hope yours was a great one :)

      Delete
  8. I had to smile all the way through because I can tell this is a very old poem because the list of jobs almost all of those are non-existent these days. But it is a beautiful poem in perfect for today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great poem but yes you can tell it was told created back in the day :) And still loved by so many.

      Delete
  9. Happy 4th of July! Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Gigi, I hope your 4th was a very happy one :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Christine, much appreciated :)

      Delete
  11. Happy 4th of July.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and I hope the rest of your week is a wonderful one. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  12. I hope you had a very happy 4th of July! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MLC :) It was wonderful thank you. Big hugs to you also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!