Monday, April 26, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CHEESY SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE PINWHEELS


My Dear Other Half was out of the house for an hour the other day, and I decided to surprise him with a new recipe for supper on his return. The recipe came from Damn Delicious hosted by Chungah. I have used her recipes before and they have always turned out great.  You can view the original here.  There are many great recipes on her food blog, and her photos always draw me in.  

I am starting off with one of my notes at the beginning of the post instead of leaving it until the end. I wanted to mention the cooking time in case you made it before reading my 'what did we think of this recipe' section below.  I also read many comments under the original recipe and several people had the same issue.  I found that 20-25 minutes wasn't long enough to cook the dough in the center of the dish.  The top got beautifully browned though.  I put it in for an extra 15 minutes and it turned out great.  Next time I will cover the top with aluminum foil the last 10 to 15 minutes cooking time (to stop that nice, golden crust from getting burned).  I am always aware that individual oven temperatures vary quite a lot, so I would advise you keep an eye on it towards the end and be your own judge.  This is only a guideline.

All that being said I was very happy with the way it turned out and we both enjoyed it a whole lot.  Yes, we will be making it again.  It was very yummy!


Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pinwheels

Serves: 8


1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

2 cups baby spinach, chopped

1 cup sour cream

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

2 (8-ounce) tubes crescent rolls

1 large egg, beaten

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Lightly oil a pie plate or coat with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl combine artichoke hearts, spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder and onion powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan.

Unroll crescent rolls, pressing perforations to seal into approximately a 13×18-inch rectangle. (Denise's note: I actually kept the two pieces separate as they seemed easier to work with.  I could probably do with more practice in this technique.)

Top with artichoke mixture and spread out evenly to the edges.

Starting at the shortest side, roll up, pressing the edges to seal.

Cut in eighths. Place cut side down onto the prepared pie plate. Brush with egg.

Place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes (or longer if needed).

Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.


What did we think of this recipe?  Very yummy!  It was hard not to eat the whole plate!  

I can't say I followed the number of pieces cut from each rolled crescent dough.  Mine were about an inch wide.  Also my pie plate is on the larger side and I managed to squeeze in all the 'rounds'.  

When I read the comments at the end of the original recipe, a couple of people suggested cooking them in individual muffin tins.  Seemed a good idea as I believe this is supposed to be an appetizer and they would go further.  (We cut pie shaped wedges as we had it for our main course). 

A commenter at the site also said this was like a spinach and artichoke dip in pastry.

Commenters also served theirs with tomato soup, which I thought would be a nice pairing.  I would love to hear any suggestions you might choose for yourself.

This is a vegetarian meal but someone who also lives under this roof suggested it would go very nicely with chicken added, cooked then shredded or diced.  

There are leftovers for for the next couple of days.  

This would be good served up for brunch.

Also if you prefer to make your own crescent rolls, there is a copycat recipe here.


Thank you for looking and enjoy your week.



31 comments:

  1. It sounds good. I don't think we get crescent rolls in tubes. I will have to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC :) I left a link to a copycat recipe for the crescent rolls if you can’t find the pre-made ones. It is at the end of my post.

      Delete
  2. It does look beautiful. I am going to check out this website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinach and artichoke are such a great combination - your photo makes it look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denise,
    Another yummy recipe, I will be trying this one too.
    Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, that’s great :) You have a great day and week also.

      Delete
  5. Dziękuję, było bardzo smaczne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I've used recipes from Damn Delicious with a lot of success too. As I started reading my first though was making small ones for our appetizer buffets. It looks and sounds fantastic either way - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a good addition to a buffet table in individual sizes. Thanks Martha :)

      Delete
  7. This looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for the time tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am drooling on the keyborad. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious food, thank you for the recipe. Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucyna, thank you so much. You have a nice day also :)

      Delete
  10. Yum!
    That does look delicious.

    Wishing you a lovely week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Jan and thank you :) I wish you the same.

      Delete
  11. I've never had artichokes, but everything else about it agrees with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks and sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely dish! It is making me hungry just looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a lovely compliment, thank you Martha Ellen :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!