Monday, April 19, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - VEGAN MEDITERRANEAN ORZO SALAD

Looking for a meatless meal I found this recipe here at 'Running on Real Food' hosted by Deryn.  Thank you Deryn for a lovely spring meal.  


Mediterranean Orzo Salad

6 servings

189 calories per serving


For the Salad:

2-1-2 cups (400 g) uncooked orzo

1/3 cup (55g) diced red onion

1-1/2 cups (225 g) halved cherry or grape tomatoes 

1 heaping cup diced cucumber (150 g), seeds removed

1 19 oz can (2-1/2 cups or 54 ml.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 6 oz can (200 ml) sliced black olives

2 (10 g) garlic cloves, minced


For the Dressing:

2 tbsp lemon zest

1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice

2 tsp dried oregano 

1 tsp dried dill

1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp black pepper 

2 tbsp (30 g) extra virgin olive oil, optional

 

For the Optional Tofu Feta:

Approximately 1/2 cup (175 g) firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed 

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp water

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

 

In a large pot cook orzo according to package instructions. 

While the orzo is cooking, add the chickpeas and chopped vegetables to a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly

Zest a lemon using a micro planer or fine grater.  If you don’t have a fine grater or planer, cut off some of the peel and very finely chop until you have 2 tablespoons. 

Add the zest and the rest of the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk together with a fork.

Once the orzo is cooked, drain and rinse well with cold water until cooled.

Mix with the chopped vegetables and dressing.

Serve topped with a sprinkle of the tofu feta.

 

NOTES

Tofu Feta: Press tofu for at least 20 minutes (if you aren't familiar with this process, Deryn shows you how on this page). Crumble pressed tofu into a container and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle on salad when serving.

Storing: Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.


This was enjoyed very much.  I didn't use the tofu 'feta' this time, but I'm sure it would have gone nicely with this dish if you are a fan of tofu.  Looking forward to making it again.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is a great one.



32 comments:

  1. Looks good enough to eat Denise! Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I hope yours was a good one too.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to make this, we have plenty of orzo. But I think I will use real Feta. Which I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Unfortunately, since I had my bowel blockage there are so many things I shouldn't eat like tomatoes and cucumber unless peeled and seedless. I'm not a fan of Tofu but I like feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, that certainly would be something to think about. Do hope all is well with you now :)

      Delete
  4. Hello,

    Sounds delicious, I will be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, and you are very welcome :) You have a happy day too.

      Delete
  5. It’s certainly a colorful salad, Denise, and did you serve this with a side dish or a main course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy :) the first meal I served it up on its own with a mixed greens but the second meal we had chicken.

      Delete
  6. Yummy! This is very similar to a Mediterranean pasta salad I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet yours is delicious too. Thanks Martha :)

      Delete
  7. i had to pop out and find out what orzo is, i had not idea it even exists. that comes from not being a cook... it looks good to me. and easy to create

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still finding things I didn’t know about :) Happy you like the sound of this one, thank you Sandra.

      Delete
  8. Looks very tasty. I'm sending this link to a friend who is eating Vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I hope your friend enjoys it as much as we did. Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  9. Your orzo looks great, Denise. My family would enjoy this dish and so would I!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi William, it was a very nice change of pace :) I will definitely make this again.

      Delete
  11. Yum yum. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!