Monday, April 12, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BAKED EGGS IN TOMATO CUPS FOR BREAKFAST

I baked these for breakfast yesterday, Sunday, April 11th, 2021.  This was the first time I tried this recipe and I was happy it turned out well.  The original recipe was found here at a blog called Diethood, hosted by Katerina.  My Sweet Other Half thought it very tasty, so we will be making it again.  


Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups 

6 servings


6 tomatoes

1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 teaspoon oregano

6 medium eggs

1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese, or you can use reduced fat mild cheddar cheese if watching calories as in Katerina’s recipe (using the low fat cheese will make this 97 calories per finished tomato, the toast adds extra calories of course).

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish.

 

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.

Cut the tops off the tomatoes and using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the tomatoes.

Save the scooped out tomatoes for a different use, as in a soup for instance. I made a vegetable soup later in the day.   

Place the tomato cups, cut side down, on a paper towel lined plate; let stand 10 minutes.

Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, in previously prepared muffin tin.

Drizzle a little olive oil inside each tomato, also season with salt and pepper, and a pinch of dried oregano.  

Bake for 12 minutes.

Remove from oven and crack an egg inside each tomato cup.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until eggs are set.

Bake 5 minutes longer if you do not like a soft/runny egg yolk.

Add shredded cheese over each egg; bake for an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes.

Garnish with parsley and serve.

 


This made a lovely change for breakfast.  I toasted a slice of bread and cut it into 'toy soldiers'.  I would normally make them to go with a soft-boiled egg as shown here, which I have done many times over the years since childhood.  So, today I cut our slices of toast into sticks to go with this.  I didn't have any wheat bread but any favorite sliced bread would do.  I seem to remember making something like this recipe once before, but not sure when.  It's been years.

As we scaled this down to just the two of us, I used a couple of small ramekins to place the tomatoes in.  

With ovens varying in heat, you might want to check your egg to see if it's cooked to your liking, adding time if it isn't.

I sprinkled a few hot pepper flakes over the top to go with the chopped parsley.  

I made this for breakfast but would be happy to serve this up at any time of the day.  




33 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! Just perfect, and perfectly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a different dish - and I can see just how delicious it could be. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC! When I saw the picture and read the ingredients, it yelled make me :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Denise.
    The baked eggs and tomato looks delicious, a tasty dish.
    Thanks for sharing. Take care, have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, you are very welcome and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  4. Wow ... what a clever use of a tomato. I now realize it would make the perfect cup for all sorts of foods. How lucky anyone would be to share meals at your kitchen table. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you Penelope and I can truthfully say if you are ever in our area I would love to share a meal with you :)

      Delete
  5. your plated foot is always so artistic..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure our tomatoes would collapse before the egg was cooked but it looks amazing. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always found tomatoes and eggs go well together, no matter how they are served up, that is if you enjoy tomatoes and eggs. I enjoy them very much :) Thank you Diane, you have a good week also :)

      Delete
  7. Yummy. I wonder what this would be like with bell peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds yummy too Christine, thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne :) I would love to know what you think of it.

      Delete
  9. Delicious and makes a very pretty presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha! I do enjoy how pretty this looks :)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely idea this is.
    Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sparking our creativity

    ReplyDelete
  12. The store bought tomatoes in our local supermarkets are not that tasty right now, so I would holdmoff trying this recipe until farm stands offer better ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely Dorothy, this meal would not be as good without a delicious tasting tomato. I envy people there who grow their own. I bought ours from the supermarket and they have a section from local farmers. They were very good. All that being said I am looking forward to the farmer markets :)

      Delete
  13. Beatrice above took the words out of my mouth...I am saving this yummy recipe for when the Farmers Market has local tomato’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if you don't grow your own, then Farmer's Markets are where I head for next :) Thanks Sallie :)

      Delete
  14. sounds really appealing idea ,never heard of such dish before but seems like must try soon :)
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you and I wish you blessings also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!