Monday, April 27, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BEST QUICK STEAK MARINADE


Today's recipe came from Creme de la Crumb hosted by Tiffany.  You can see the original here.  I always like to go to read the recipe before I make it, and Tiffany has lots of great tips about making this meal.  

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 to 6 8-ounce steaks
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried mustard
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Whisk together balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, oil, Worcestershire sauce, honey, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and dried mustard.

Add steaks and marinade to a ziplock bag, tossing the steaks a few times to coat.  Press the excess air out, seal the bag and chill for 15-20 minutes.

Use the tongs to transfer steaks to a preheated grill.  Cook until desired doneness is reached.  Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Garnish with fresh parsley if using.


Denise's notes: 

This was an excellent marinade, very tasty and easy to put together.  Thank you Tiffany!

We made this just for the two of us from a large piece of sirloin instead of the 4 to 6 steaks mentioned in the original recipe.  We marinated it for three hours but you can also leave it overnight, or for as little as 20 minutes as suggested by Tiffany.  
We grilled the steak using the oven broiler, not an outside grill.  Ours was on the well done side after broiling for ten minutes each side (my preference), so you'll need to adjust the time if you want it more rare.  Gregg takes the thickest part of the meat so that it is still pink.  The thinner end I have which is well done.

There are leftovers for tomorrow.  Big thumb's up there!

The sides used were our recipe for Mashed Potato and Cauliflower Gratin which you can find here

Our other side was Brussels Sprouts which were cooked very simply, put in a pan covered with water and boiled for up to 20 minutes.  Check after ten minutes just in case you don't like them as soft as I do.  This is another veggie I have had since childhood and I cook them just like my Mother did.  I prefer this to any other way but I will have to try them roasted one time, just for fun.

I added about a tablespoon of Coleman’s English Mustard, one of my favorite condiments.  If I had a jar of horseradish in the fridge, that would have gone on the plate too. I need to add horseradish to my shopping list.  

There was a good portion of sirloin left and we will probably have steak sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.  Also we will enjoy the leftover mash dish for the next couple of days.



I hope you are all hanging in there.  I think of you often and hope all is well.  Thank you for stopping by, and however you are spending your day, I hope it is with happiness and good health. 








36 comments:

  1. It looks yummy! I hope you have better luck finding horseradish than I had had trying to find Worcestershire sauce. None in any of the stores! Now what on earth would that have to do with the pandemic I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) Fortunately I have a bottle of Worcestershire sauce in my pantry that I bought before all the shortages. Grew up with it so I am never without. Not sure if I will get the horseradish though after your comment. It's on my list and will give it a try on the next shopping run. Yes, what is horseradish to do with the pandemic? ;) I didn't realize it was that popular.

      Delete
  2. It sounds good.
    I am really looking forward to making your mashed potato and cauli gratin though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, the potato-cauliflower dish is my favorite :)

      Delete
  3. It sure looks good, Denise. I always say appearance is as importance as taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, and thank you :) Working in a restaurant for a while a few years back, appearance was important.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado e desejo-lhe também uma boa semana.

      Delete
  5. Hello, you meal looks delicious. Thanks for sharing, I am always looking for new recipes to try. Take care, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome. I also wish you an enjoyable day and week :)

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious and it will be dinner very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JFM, thank you and I hope you enjoyed your dinner :)

      Delete
  7. I think this would be good for flank steak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought of trying it on flank steak next time, and maybe brisket? Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  8. You do eat well. I'll try that steak marinade next time, as I am not happy with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, like you and Gregg, we are also cooking at home vs. doing take-out. This meal looked delicious just from seeing the photos and reading the recipe. I definitely want to try that cauliflower casserole, but alas we have to get one when we go to the grocery store in a couple of days as we are now waiting until we've used up all other veggies and tonight we have 2 pepers and a zucchini left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in the same boat as far as needing to use up what vegetables we have left. The potato cauliflower dish is one of our favorites of the moment, so I hope you get to enjoy it sometime. I will be interested in what you think of it :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I am happy you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  11. The marinade sounds good but we like our steak 'bleu' Stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds delicious … good job I've just eaten, or I would want more! LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, glad you liked this recipe. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  13. Delicious! Love the idea of mashing potato and cauliflower together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, it is a delicious combination :)

      Delete
  14. we are both on the food train today!! this looks delicious, it's nice to have the recipes, the marinade for the steak sounds so good. we, well the hubs, cleaned the grill and we have been grilling. i think steaks always taste better when they are grilled!!

    i hope you are well and enjoying this quiet time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, it's been so long since I tried steaks grilled outside. Must rectify that situation :)

      Delete
  15. Oh yum! I feel like we haven’t had beef in such a long time. This makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the look of this meal Kay. Yes, you wouldn't know it but we try to keep this as a rare treat also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!