Monday, April 13, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BANANA PANCAKES

My favorite way to have a pancake over the past couple of years is to add blueberries.  When I saw this old recipe I had saved in 2009, I thought it might make a nice change and will make them the next time.  
I have shared this story before, but I grew up having pancakes only once a year on Shrove Tuesday.  Up to that point and for several years later until I moved to the States, I had never heard of having pancakes at any other time than on Shrove Tuesday.  

The way my Mum made pancakes was thinner than an American one, but slightly thicker than a French crepe.  Mum made the greatest pancakes and what made them even better was the fact that she used to toss them as high up in the air as she could, and much to the delight of my sister and me, she occasionally missed and one would drop on the floor.  Fits of giggles from all three of us, and an even more wonderful memory the older I get. When we were old enough Mum taught us how to toss them high, and even more landed on the floor. It was always great fun. The ones that didn't land on the floor were served sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar, delicious!

While still living in England, the first time I ate American pancakes was in a small restaurant in Torquay - pronounced "Torkee".  I was 20 years' old and worked in the legal section of the local government offices for a few years.  Occasionally I met up with friends for lunch and we would go to a small restaurant on the harbor.  One day there were American Pancakes on the dessert menu.  They sounded very exotic served with Maple Syrup (never had that before either and wondered what it tasted like). Well, the very first bite was a new taste sensation and we all said that these pancakes were amazing, and we couldn't wait to come back and try them again.  

I found this recipe at AllRecipes.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes  
Ready in: 15 minutes  
Yields: 12 pancakes  Servings 6


1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed  

Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt.  

In a separate bowl mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas.  

Stir flour mixture into banana mixture.  The batter will be slightly lumpy.  

Heat lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat.  Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.  Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides.  Serve hot. 


Nutritional Information:
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving.
Calories: 193 

Excellent pancakes!  The only thing I changed was adding a handful of chopped pecans as I mixed the batter.  I also sprinkled a few on the top when serving them up, and poured maple syrup.






31 comments:

  1. This is truly a wonderful story, and a wonderful memory. Your mom must have been the most fun person! She made memories that lasted a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) She was a wonderful mum and couldn't have put it better myself.

      Delete
  2. Pancakes were served with lemon juice and sugar here too - and were a rare treat. Thanks for the memories - my father also tossed them (I was never brave enough).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they might be served the same way over there EC. Happy my post brought back your memories too :)

      Delete
  3. I can relate to your story about making and tossing pancakes as a child on Shrove Tuesday. It's a fun tradition. There were also pancake races where pancakes were tossed at the same time as running. I think these races still exist as a village tradition in a few places in England. Happy memories. Pancakes with sugar and lemon taste great. Your American pancakes must be delicious too. (We're short on flour here nationally at the moment and flour is being saved for a treat like your American pancakes). Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I remember the pancake races :) So glad you are going to use your precious supply of flour for these, and you are very welcome for the recipe :)

      Delete
  4. I hate to admit it but I was never successful in pancake tossing, no matter how much I tried. My mother had no patience with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I wasn't too good at it either :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise, wonderful memory of your Mom. The pancakes look delicious.
    Thanks for sharing. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) I wish the same for you :)

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this story, and it is new to me. I can't imagine not having pancakes at least once a week. I think here they were cheap to make, mother did not put sugar in hers just egg, milk and self rising flour. they looked like these here in your post. we never had flavored ones or fruit on or in the batter, and we had cane syrup not maple. I first ate maple when I married bob, he had never had cane. we both love pancakes, but I gave up sugar, so can't have syrup and they are not good without it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, guess what we are having for breakfast today? :) I enjoyed your comment. I don't remember ever having cane syrup.

      Delete
  7. David makes banana pancakes but with Bisquick. We like them with maple syrup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister just sent me a similar recipe it must be a sign I should try this thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be the same one from allrecipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made banana pancakes. I might just have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denise, When my daughter returned after living in Canada for 10 years she introduced us to Sunday morning pancake brunch ritual with proper maple syrup which she stocks up on each time she visits Canada. It is much, much better than what we buy in the supermarkets here. Tasty as it is I still prefer lemon juice and sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, how wonderful! I haven't had lemon juice and sugar for quite a while now, but rectify that :)

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed your lovely memories and I'm sure I'd enjoy this yummy recipe, Denise. I laughed out loud as I was reading flipping pancakes into the air! Wonderful childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen and so glad you enjoyed my memories :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you Agnieszka and greetings to you also :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful memories dear Denise :)
    i am glad you shared
    i found this recipe very appealing specially these images from your cooking are EXCELLENT and look delicious
    stay healthy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you baili, I am happy you enjoyed them. I wish you the same dear friend :)

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful memory.
    I love pancakes, I'll save the recipe to make. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care and be well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, and you are very welcome. I hope you like them. I send my wishes for a safe, happy and healthy week for you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!