Wednesday, April 29, 2020

THE PEACOCKS CONTINUED...

These photos were taken in the summer of 
2015, at Paignton Zoo in Devonshire.  
('Paignton' is one of those words with a silent 'g', and is pronounced Painton.)
When my father retired in 1965 my parents moved to Devonshire.  I had one year of schooling to complete and that school was opposite the zoo.  I walked by the zoo twice a day, the second time on my way into town back to the bus station, where I rode a bus home.  
After I married I went home as often as I could to visit my parents.  This was usually when hubby was on a six month, sometimes 8 month deployment.  If my parents didn't visit us for the summer, then I would take our son and we would stay with them. We all had a fun time visiting the zoo. It seems another lifetime ago now with a lot of great memories.  
 On this occasion in 2015, hubby and I were with my niece and nephew.  My niece remembered visiting the zoo with her parents when she was little, so there was a lot of nostalgia for both of us. 
 The peacocks were putting on quite a display I remember, which was one of the many things that made our visit memorable, along with talking about the old days.  As I was putting this post together, hubby and I enjoyed some of those memories.  We were sorting through a few things and came across a box of old photos, which gave me the idea for today’s (and yesterday’s) post.
Two maps to show you the location of Paignton.  Just like in many other areas, it looks like a lot of places are closed right now.







37 comments:

  1. Wow, these are wonderful pictures!! Gorgeous!! And you got perfect poses, too! What wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, it was a fun time, that's for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful things - and I am glad that they triggered happy memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely memories Denise and great shots of the Peacocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I can recall I never went to Paignton, but my memory is kinda useless right now. It was certainly part of the world I liked best though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One good thing about me saving all these memories and photos on here Valerie, not only for our family but for us too :)

      Delete
  5. Hello, wonderful memories and peacock photos. They are beautiful birds. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. their feathers are beautiful; I've heard they can be quite a nuisance, love the first photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are, thank you Linda :) I don't really know much about them other than the memory of their call.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos and lovely memories Denise.
    Peacocks are gorgeous birds.
    I love the one by your name, too.

    Stay Safe 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, so glad you enjoyed. They certainly are gorgeous birds :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos and thanks for the maps, Denise. Peacocks and parakeets are my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, so glad you enjoyed. They are mine too, just felt so privileged to be in their company for a while.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos and nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, every time I've seen a peacock fanning its feathers, the same thought has occurred to me...would they topple over?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paw to piękny ptak . Taki ogon ma tylko samiec samiczka jest skromnie ubarwiona ale tez pełna uroku. Piękne wspomnienia. Miłego piątku:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję Ci! Zgadzam się, kolory męskiego pawia są spektakularne, ale samica też jest piękna.

      Delete
  12. Peacocks are such pretty birds. Good memories shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy :) It is such a rare treat for me to see one.

      Delete
  13. Such an interesting creature that God created. Fun to capture the fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I really lucked out and was there at just the right time :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Laurie, you are very welcome and I am happy you enjoyed. You don't stand alone, I love their call and a fun Segway to midsomer murders :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how lovely your capture of these beautiful peacocks, Denise. Your memories are so special of this zoo. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Martha Ellen, and thank you :)

      Delete
  16. What a lovely and fortunate feature of your life thanks for sharing it,D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always treat these moments as a gift, thank you Cloudia :)

      Delete
  17. That first shot is so totally awesome...and loved reading about your memories visiting the zoo. And your mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, they were good memories at that zoo through the years :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing these memories, such lovely photographs of the peacocks, especially the first one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed them Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!