Tuesday, April 28, 2020

A FEW FLOWERS AND PLANTS FROM OUR GARDEN

How are you all?  I hope everyone is hanging in there, and that your days are going well.  
As you can see by the date on my laptop, I started this post on the 22nd.  This was the screen shot on my laptop that day.  More often than not I like the ones that appear when I turn it on.  They change every few days and come courtesy of the laptop company.  They show very pretty scenes around the world.  I enjoy my lessons in geography as my curiosity gets a reminder that it is a good thing to learn.  I always find out about the place shown with the snippet of information they provide.  At first I thought this was the Arches National Park in Utah, but I looked closer and read that the area is called the Spitzkoppe and the description reads, "A group of bald granite peaks or inselbergs located between Usakos and Swakopmund in the Namib desert of Namibia.  The granite is more than 120 million years old and the highest outcrop rises about 1,728 metres above sea level.  The peaks stand out dramatically from the flat surrounding plains.  The highest peak is about 670 m above the floor of the desert below.  A minor peak - the Little Spitzkoppe - lies nearby at an elevation of 1,584 m.  Other prominences stretch out into a range known as the Pontok Mountains."  Fascinating, and now we know.  One day I am going to make a post just of these screenshots.  Wildlife is also shown.

Our morning (on the 21st) started early at 8.00 a.m. when an electrician came around to fix one of the lights on the front of our house.  At first I thought it would be a much longer and harder job, but it was all done in less than half an hour.  Nice young man, interaction all conducted at a safe distance. We will get him again if we have any more problems, but I hope that won't be for a while.  

As soon as he left we delivered a couple of bags of food to a friend of ours.  We have been making meals and putting one aside for the freezer, and I had a couple of these for our friend.  It was good to see her but we did our part and kept several feet away on the doorstep.  Unfortunately a chilly wind cut short our conversation, but we sent air hugs and were on our way.  
And who is this handsome lad?  When we got home the phone rang and it was our son.  I asked him to send us a photo as he was out on his morning walk. Mum always asks for a photo. We are definitely a photo-taking family.  This was our reward which was designed to make us laugh. I am always asking him if he is following all the guidelines when he goes out.  This proved it.  Yes, I tell myself,  I know he is 40 but he's still our kid, and more often than not he turns around and asks us if we are following the same guidelines in a very stern, authoritative voice, and we assure him we are, and inwardly smile.  Roles tend to get reversed these days.  Turn around is fair play.  His glasses were fogging up because of the mask which his Mother-in-Law very kindly made for him, and for us.  I asked if I could share it here.  He doesn't mind at all, hard to tell what he looks like with that mask on anyhow.  The three of us had a nice long conversation until he got back to his place.  Usually our daughter-in-law joins him but she was busy that day as, like our son, she is working at home.  We talk most days and never run out of conversation.  I guess you could say we are talkers!  

A couple of days ago and needing a little fresh air after a few days of rain, we took a walk around the garden.  It was still very chilly and we weren't out there for long, just enough time to take a few photos of the plants that were blooming.
This is called Evergreen Spindle according to my plant app.  In the Netherlands they call this plant Spilboome, meaning a spindle tree.  Since the Dutch make spindles out of its timber, and also that this is native to Japan, it is now called Japanese Spindle Tree.  Maybe if we have any Dutch or Japanese blogging friends out there, they can verify the information.
Next comes an Evergreen Azalea, a species of Rhododendron.  
Not much other information except that its scientific name is Rhododendron indicum.  I love its pretty red color.
The following pretty white flower bloomed for the first time this year.  We didn't plant it, it just appeared.  It is called Black Haw, a species of Viburnum.  Also known as Blackhaw Viburnum, Stag Bush or Sweet Haw.
On the ground underneath is a carpet of pink blossom petals from a neighbor's tree.
I loved its pretty white blooms.
Its botanical name is Viburnum prunifolium.
This holly tree has been here since we moved in.  We get it trimmed every year and it is way above our heads now.
The plant app says it is Chinese Holly, also known as Horned Holly or Burford Holly, and its botanical name is Ilex cornuta.
Two collages to add, one of the flowers in the back...
and the pink Azaleas are blooming in the front garden.  
We decided to sit out on the deck for a while, knowing that it wouldn't be for a long time as the hour was getting late. It was still too chilly, but we felt the need for some Vitamin D and at least the sun was still shining.  
We were late giving our backyard wildlife birdseed, mostly sunflower seeds as we are running low.  I sat waiting for Gregg to join me when a squirrel ran helter-skelter down the branch used to jump onto the rail of our deck.  When he realized I was there he stopped as though he had hit an invisible wall.  I got the full, head-on glare as he chirped and chattered furiously, staring me down with tail flashing in that squirrel way of agitation. I know I got the royal telling off for being there.  How dare I!  After letting me know in no uncertain terms what he thought of me, he headed back up the tree and went round the other side.  I pointed him out to Gregg and we both looked up amused.  We could see where he had perched to wait us out, barely making out the tip of his tail.  No sooner had we closed the sliding door behind us, he - or she - scrambled down and made a feast of those favored sunflower seeds, probably still muttering under its breath for making the wait far too long.  Our back yard friends have trained us well.

Thanks for visiting.  I do hope your days are enjoyable and passing quickly.  







38 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful garden! My very favorite is the beautiful yellow spindle bush, I have never heard of it! Your story about the squirrel gave me such a laugh, you DO have a way with words! I must get the same photos on my computer that you do. I love them, and really look forward to the new ones. Do you get the message that asks you if you like it or not? I always click YES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I have enjoyed the spindle bush ever since we moved here in 1991. One year the aphids ravaged it down to its stalks and I thought it was going to die. We did our best to keep it going and our inexperience may have been a factor :( We cut it down as far as we could thinking there wasn't much hope, but that beautiful plant revived into the beauty it is today. Yes I get the like and don't like messages. Nine times out of 10 I click yes :)

      Delete
  2. You are delightful company especially now, D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just awake and loved reading your post and seeing the plants in your garden. Cute Squirrel. Well it is time for my early mornging walk so I better get dressed and oiff now. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed my post Margaret, and I hope you enjoyed your early morning walk. I always enjoy your photos. You stay safe also :)

      Delete
  4. Some interesting information about the flowers and shrubs Denise. We have a bush like yours in the garden that my husband regularly trims. I didn't know the name as we inherited it from the lady who lived in the house before we moved in. It's pretty because of the golden leaves. We have the prickly leaved Holly but it doesn't produce berries as it must need another one in the garden so that it gets pollinated by the bees. I've not been successful with azaleas. Yours is beautiful. I'm glad your son and daughter-in-law are in regular contact. That's reassuring for all of you to know all is well. It's good that an electrician could fix your outside light without too much bother. I don't think we would get someone to come if we had problems with utilities unless it was an emergency so job well done for you. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda :) We have been very fortunate and have enjoyed previously planted flowers. Our climate is very good for azaleas. They grow in profusion everywhere, especially at the gardens we visit. Our son and daughter-in-law are very good about keeping in touch and I look forward to warmer, dryer weather when we can sit out in the garden together while keeping our social distancing in place until we are given the all clear by the scientists who have had a lifetime of experience and know what they are talking about. I am happy we were able to get in touch with not only an expert electrician but a very nice one. You have a good week also :)

      Delete
  5. Loved the beauties you shared today - and everfy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much EC, I am happy you like my posts :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Também envio um abraço e desejo uma boa semana continuada :)

      Delete
  7. lovely post, Denise. I too have run out of birdseed so the poor birds (!) are having scraps of bread instead. They don't seem to mind and the blackbird will enjoy dunking his bread in the birds water bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie :) I am sure they are loving your bits of bread, and would enjoy seeing the blackbird dunking his in the water bowl :)

      Delete
  8. I would have guessed Utah as well; lovely flowers, we have had the lonngest spring, can't wait for warmer weather so we can stop covering the tomato and pepper plants I planted too early. I have put out a bird feeder now that I don't have an outdoor cat, only a few visitors so far. We go to the store about once a week with mask and gloves and sterilize everything we bring back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) Our spring has turned chilly and rainy and I also look forward to warmer and dryer weather. I would like to try a vegetable garden. It would be very rewarding to eat not only the freshest of produce, but grown with our own hands. When we had our precious dog she would always bark at the wildlife. I enjoy my wildlife but I still miss her. Hubby started getting our groceries delivered for the time being. It will probably stop when everything goes back to normal as we enjoy our shopping trips. But I'm also glad to give the people who bring us our food their job in these uncertain times. They like all the others are our heroes and we really appreciate them. Many of them have lost their jobs elsewhere.

      Delete
  9. Hello, pretty shot of Arches NP, it is one of my favorite parks. Your flowers and plants are looking beautiful. I think my birds and yard critters have me trained well too. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, we have had a lot of rain so the flowers are benefiting. Nice to know you are also well train, lol :) You take care also and happy day to you :)

      Delete
  10. awesome photos of your flowers. so beautiful. I like those pictures that come up and most of the time follow the link to find out where it was. i was shocked on this one because i also thought it was Utah.. there are some magnificent places in this virus filled world. i only wear a mask inside. and can hardly stand to keep it on for the hour I shop for food... when walking out side i don't wear one. i am wondering if your son was in a place walking with other people. where we walk there is no one but us... we like interacitng with our squirrels too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, very similar places in this world and I enjoy learning about them. I have heard how those masks can be very uncomfortable. I haven't been around anyone lately to have to use mine. Our son walks in a more built up area where many are out walking. He also still visits the local supermarket. Happy to hear you enjoy your squirrels :)

      Delete
  11. Love the checking in of your son. Happy he is keeping safe.
    Gorgeous flowers!!!
    Love the little squirrel, too.

    Stay Safe 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JFM, me too and I trust you and your loved ones are doing well also. Glad you enjoyed the flowers and my cheeky squirrel :) You stay safe also.

      Delete
  12. Nice picture of your son. David says the same thing about the mask fogging up his glasses. Don't use the mask while driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, that could be a problem :) I have only seen one family with all four people in a car with masks on, including the driver.

      Delete
  13. Stunning photos Denise, including your son in mask haha. Sounds like you are coping well in the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes we are coping and I hope you are also. I would love to know your name? Are you someone I know?

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the awesomes post. Your son sounds exactly like my son. It is time to listen to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Red, I am very happy you enjoyed it. And I agree with you about listening to our sons :)

      Delete
  15. Love the garden scenes. And so very interesting, the history of the stone arches! As for being concerned about your son at 40...you never stop being a mother. It's instinct. Cute photo of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, so glad you enjoyed. Very true, I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you :)

      Delete
  16. Your lovely post has me smiling, Denise. Your generosity and your darling masked son is nice to see. I recently read you can wash your glasses with soap and water and let air dry and they should not fog while wearing a mask. I tried it today and it seemed to work. I also enjoyed seeing your pretty shrubs and darling squirrel friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Martha Ellen :) And I thank you so much for that wonderful tip. I shall pass that on to our son. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  17. Love your garden photos. Makes me feel as though I've been on vacation. And what a great picture of the squirrel. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Buttercup, that makes me happy. You take care too :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you for a sweet look at your outdoor beauty. It’s nice to see signs of spring in your area.
    Gosh! I could have sworn that was Arches National Park too. It feels like we were just there instead of a few years ago. I’m taking a break from mask making this week while waiting for elastic to show up coming by slow boat from China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Kay. I agree, I love seeing all the flowers blooming. Same for us, it seems like only yesterday we were at Arches National Park. Hope your elastic turns up soon :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!