Monday, April 20, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BLACKBERRY COBBLER


Looking for a dessert recently, I came across this one at a food blog called Real Housemoms, hosted by Aubrey.  I chose it because they are baked in individual ramekins.  I also wanted to try freezing a couple for another day.
I bought the blackberries first to eat as a snack, but there is another person in this household to take care of, and I thought he would prefer a dessert. Searching through several recipes online, this seemed to be just what we needed.

Blackberry Cobbler

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooling time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 6
Calories: 369

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup sugar, divided
3 cups blackberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup sugar.

Pour in the milk, butter and vanilla, and stir to combine.

In a smaller bowl toss blackberries with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.

Evenly divide berries into 6 ramekins.

Cover berries with an equal amount of the milk and flour batter.

Place ramekins on a baking sheet and put into the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and blackberries are bubbling.
Take out and let cool for about ten minutes, or however long it it needs so that you don't burn your mouth on those hot blackberries.  I prefer mine warm but my sweet other half said it tastes great straight out of the refrigerator.

We topped it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but whipped cream or English Custard (Crème Anglais as you might see it on restaurant menus), or even Clotted Cream would be good choices.  

I found a recipe for Crème Anglais if you would like to give it a try.

I didn't change much to this recipe.  I didn't have an entire set of six small ramekins.  I used four of the next size up, and had to cook the larger individual cobblers for a few minutes longer.  

Also the larger ramekin contained more than enough for two servings.

If you don't have any ramekins, I'm sure a small baking dish would do just as well.  

Next time I would like to use more blackberries. 

I put the remaining cobblers in the freezer.  

It was delicious and has become another keeper.

Enjoy!



38 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how good that must taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yumm. I don’t have any ramekins though, sad to say. I almost never bake any more, but I’ve been thinking about dessert lately (in normal times, I’d indulge that occasional craving at a favorite restaurant, but not now of course.). Anyway...a fruit cobbler would be a good thing to bake ... not too sugary, so Bill could eat some. Thanks for the good idea\reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie and you are very welcome :) I thought next time I could put it in a small baking dish if there were more of us. This fitted Gregg's taste to a 'T' as it wasn't too sugary.

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely but I would prefer the blackies with cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, cream sounds delicious too :)

      Delete
  4. That does sound good. I will bookmark it for when we have flour again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there is a flour shortage here too, but I still have a couple of small bags in my pantry. Hope you get yours soon EC :)

      Delete
  5. This one is definitely for me. Thanks, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Obrigado, estou feliz que você acha que é delicioso. Um abraço e uma boa semana para você :)

      Delete
  7. oooooh this sounds so good!! it is better to bake a recipe that a trusted friend has tried and you can bake with confidence. i also enjoy reading the adjustments the baker made or would make, next time around!!

    i think this would take me longer than 5 minutes!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I feel the same way and I hope if you make this you will enjoy :) Yes, it took me longer than 5 minutes. Perhaps I should have added that ;)

      Delete
  8. My husband would love this but blackberries and me do not agree sadly as I love them. Take care and stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I have the same problem with raspberries but blackberries no problem. You take care and stay safe also :)

      Delete
  9. Hello,
    The cobbler sounds yummy, I like any kind of fruit cobbler. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy healthy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, me too and you are very welcome. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  10. i love cobbler made with any fruit, mother always made peach or blackberry cobbler because that was the fruit we had. yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious! I'll try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only made peach or apple cobblers, but this one looked wonderful, Denise. Unfortunately I am the only person in this household who eats feeds like blackberries and raspberries but not too often. My other half prefers strawberries. We both agree on blueberries so perhaps those might be good in a future cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both sound delicious Dorothy. This would go great with blueberries, and I am sure with strawberries :)

      Delete
  13. I have many happy memories of blackberry picking as a child. Your cobbler sure looks wonderful. My Mama always made a Blackberry Roll with our booty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Martha Ellen, whenever we went out into the countryside we picked wild blackberries from the hedgerows. We ate them in my Mum's blackberry pies, or on their own, sprinkled with a little sugar and topped with cream :)

      Delete
  14. Your cobbler looks wonderful :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!