Sunday, September 23, 2018

OLD PHOTOS

I found a few old photos taken in the late 1970s.  We were playing a game of baseball with family and friends, the first time ever playing baseball for me, and the last truth be told.  Gregg is third from the right.  I am the first person you see on the right (above photo).
In the photo below I am standing in front of a house we almost bought.  I had to be talked into it as looking around the garden, when I peered over the waist high fence, I spotted a small family graveyard with four headstones.  It was very overgrown, not touched in a long time.  It wasn't someone else's garden yet, quite a large plot and the land was for sale.  I think my eyes may have gone wide as I leaned over the fence.  They dated back to the mid 1800s.  
If this situation had happened now I wouldn't have had as much angst about them.  The camera would have come out, and then I would have tidied up the plot and taken care of them before the new owners bought the land.  As it turned out fate intervened.  We were in the process of buying the house when the navy sent Gregg to the west coast.  He had already been told he would be stationed on the east coast for the next two years.  And now here I am standing in front of what would have been our new home if we had stayed, hearing Gregg say "Smile!", and worried about what was over the fence.  I was young, what else is there to say?  I hadn't entered my phase of life where I feel totally at peace in cemeteries.
This is me with the son of good friends of the family. He was 13 and is now a married man with a sweet, beautiful wife and two beautiful children, the nicest people you could ever wish to meet.

Good memories!




32 comments:

  1. Such good old photos, full of memories. When we were first married, we moved into the upstairs apartment of an older couple's house. We were directly across the street from a huge cemetery. I would quite often pull a chair up to the window and watch the funerals. Some people told me they could never live across from a cemetery. for some reason, it never bothered me. But I think the graves over the fence definitely would have! Rather unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginnie, and I enjoyed your memories of the cemetery across the street.

      Delete
  2. Oh that's fun to share your memories and they bring up some for me. -- (I keep thinking I'll get at scanning some of my own, but never seem to find the time) .... we used to *have* to play (softball of course) when I was in grade school and I haven't played since. You were a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, it is a monumental task but every time I get down to it I enjoy the nuggets of memories they bring. At our school it was called rounders.

      Delete
  3. Ah memories, so precious they are almost like jewels. Thanks for sharing these, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Valerie, couldn’t have put it better myself. Thanks Valerie.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Denise, wonderful memories and great old photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to funny about the graves and how you felt then and now... photos jog the memories that are stored in our heads. things we would never think about unless jogged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, photos are the greatest memory joggers.

      Delete
  6. It was a different age and you were young. Things were very different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memories are so often special, and seeing older photographs always sparks them off.
    Thank you for sharing them with us Denise.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and you are very welcome. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  8. Great memories I do love old photos. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to feel the same as you did, Denise. My Mama said cemeteries were not to be feared. The ones not there are the ones to be cautious about.
    Your photos are darling. I'm sure you have many memories of those times. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mama was very wise Martha Ellen :) Thank you and I certainly do.

      Delete
  10. Hi Denise,
    Always good to look back at old photo's, and we can always find some and think what could have been.
    Different times and different outlooks, and as you say we were all a lot younger.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the trip down your memory lane, Denise. When we lived in VA it was not uncommon to see family cemeteries in the yard. I would have found it a bit unusual to see one in my backyard if I was buying a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy, we still pass many places on our countryside rides with small family plots in their gardens.

      Delete
  12. It is good to have memories like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!