Monday, September 17, 2018

MONDAY FOOD POST - NO RECIPE BUT A FUN PLACE TO ENJOY SEAFOOD

Two weeks ago we took a ride to the outskirts of Annapolis, Maryland.
Our destination was the Cantler's Riverside Restaurant, where Gregg met his sister about a year ago when she was visiting the area.  He had always wanted to take me, and as we felt like a mini-road trip he suggested we go there for lunch. It took just under two hours and we arrived around noon.
In the picture above is a large container at the side of the restaurant.  We assumed it was refrigerated and full of blue crabs.
This isn't what you would call a fancy place but it has one of the best reputations in the area, and is well known beyond that.  
We elected to sit outside under the covered patio.  There is also a patio open to the sun.  The specials are advertised on the side of the napkin dispenser, and you can see the tools you need for eating the crabs.
If you look closely in the photo below, to the left of the outside storage bar next to where the lady is standing, there is a tub full of mallets.  They get quite a crowd here.
Hubby ordered the Crab Feast, which consisted of blue crabs, snow crab legs, shrimp and corn on the cob.  It comes with melted butter, Old Bay Seasoning and a slice of lemon.
My order was grilled scallops with steamed vegetables.  Gregg's wanted me to try his crabmeat, so I had a smidgen.  I also had a couple of shrimp. Because of the process he took a lot longer to eat his meal than I did, but it was entertaining watching him and the people around us.
The crabs are steamed with Old Bay Seasoning.  I found an Old Bay copycat recipe here.
All gone!
Butcher block paper is spread on the table before every meal is served, and there are plenty of napkins.  Damp cloths would have been nice. Yes I am a namby-pamby and could be accused of missing the point.   This when all is said and done, is the fun of it all.  I did see a few customers holding their hands up after they had eaten, like a surgeon going into the operating theater, except they were heading for the closest water faucet.  Gregg had to go wash his hands also. Mental note, don't forget the wet wipes next time we come here. Yup, namby-pamby to the core!  I have come a long way as far as eating many kinds of seafood, but I still have a ways to go.
Gregg quietly pointed out this lady who had ordered at least a dozen steamed blue crabs.  You can see her taking a photo of her meal.  She was there when we came in, and she was there when we left.  
We visited on a week day. Even though we chose to eat outside, there is seating inside also.  Like I said, nothing fancy but people come here for miles, just like we did.  Many locals and many out-of-towners.
This restaurant reminds me of a few I have been to in seaside resorts, usually tucked away off the beaten path. The first time you kind of scratch your head as you drive through a very pretty wooded area, and then a very pretty residential area and bingo, there was Cantler's.  It has been going for over 40 years, opened in 1974.
I enjoyed all the bric-a-brac on the walls, and my eye caught an old print of crab fishermen.
This one too.
We took a few photos before we left.  
There are homes built on the water across from the restaurant.
There are some steep steps you can walk down to a floating dock. We saw at least one couple tie up their boat and head to the restaurant. The steps were a bit too steep for me but Gregg popped down out of curiosity, while I sat down on a bench at the top. Not much bird life but a few cormorants sitting on pylons, and a family of ducks. 

Also he took photos of an old osprey nesting platform.  No occupants at this time of the year.
A very pleasant excursion for us but soon we were driving out of Maryland...
and back into Virginia.
The traffic started getting heavier the closer we got to home, and we had to deal with rush hour.  When all's said and done it was well worth the ride.  We had a very enjoyable time and hopefully it won't be too long before we go back to Cantler's.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week everyone.



26 comments:

  1. You do go on some delightful (and delicious) outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, we are fortunate to have a lot of places not too far away.

      Delete
  2. Oh what fun! Our son took us to a place like that in Maryland. It was probably very close to your restaurant. We fell in love with the Old Bay seasoning and now use Old Bay on our chicken, fish and even our popcorn. It was a lot of work to eat blue crab, but so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great Kay. We have been talking about going into Maryland to find more of these places.

      Delete
  3. What a great adventure! Locals always know the best places. This looks just wonderful. But that big picture of the crab is rather frightening! The food all looks so fresh and good. I guess the crabs are fresh from the Chesapeake Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, they certainly do. Yes, they are from the Chesapeake Bay.

      Delete
  4. I like crab, out of a tin! I did try crab and lobster one year when Joe and I were on holiday - Joe enjoyed it, I didn't. Afraid I don't have the patience for fiddling with foodstuff. Each to his own, as they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only way I ate my crab Valerie, out of a tin. And then I married into a family who love fresh crabs and used to catch their own by tying a chicken neck to a string, dropping the line off a pier. As soon as the crab grabbed on, the string would be slowly brought up with the crab still hanging on, the net would come out and off home for dinner :) It took me years to enjoy seafood, unless it was fish and chips, but now I enjoy quite a variety.

      Delete
  5. Hello, Denise. Cantler's looks like a great seafood restaurant. It is nice to sit outside and enjoy the scene too. There are many crab houses around Maryland. They may seem like a lot of work for the meat but I love the Maryland steamed crabs. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and the same to you. It is, very enjoyable. A lot of work but worth the effort.

      Delete
  6. a lovely place to eat, we have one here that has a dock and picnic tables to eat. fresh caught seafood. I don't eat crabs but mama and daddy loved them. I do love the crab mural and the drawings. a fun place to eat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a seafood eater. Greg's food does look delicious. Being in the west on the prairie we don't get much seafood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same can be said for our prairies Red, but anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong

      Delete
  8. Looks like a nice place although I don't eat fish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love sea food but this is a bit too far away for us 😉 Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you do ever get over this way Diane, we will be happy to take you.

      Delete
  10. I'm not into seafood, but the place looks welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, It was fun and they did have non fish items on the menu.

      Delete
  11. Ooo, Denise, we went to Cantler's years ago with my sister and brother-in-law for crab cakes---delicious! I'm not one for cracking the crabs, but my hubby enjoys it! It looks like you had a beautiful day. Your photos are lovely! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful Martha Ellen, and thank you. Next time I go back I said I would try the crab cakes.

      Delete
  12. I haven't ever eaten crab straight from the shell. I'm rather wary about eating shell fish after having been really ill one time eating prawns, but crab meat is supposed to be delicious. I would probably order the scallops, but your visit looks like a lot of fun. An eating place like that where you know everyone around you is enjoying the experience and the atmosphere is quite casual is the best. It looks like you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would put me off too, getting ill from shell fish. Scallops are one of my favorite sea foods but it took me a very long time to try them. The restaurant was a lot of fun, all in the experience :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!