Monday, September 17, 2018

ANOTHER WALK AROUND GREEN SPRING GARDENS

We are trying to get as much exercise as we can lately, and always have a conversation before we start as to where we are going to take our walk that day.  Green Spring Gardens is a place we enjoy very much, we headed there.  We arrived later this time, just after the noon hour.  Not the best time for photographs but never mind, off we went.
I love the house and I wrote about its history in this post.  It has a gift shop and also a tea room. 
One of these days we are going to take our friends there for an afternoon tea.
The Japanese Anemones are planted out front...
and the stone plantar filled with succulents is just outside the front door.
But this was the last place we visited after our walk, as we began at the ponds I mentioned in my other post.
We are at the second pond where we saw all the waterlilies blooming.  There were none to be found today.  
Two very happy dogs were on the other side, and further along Gregg took a photo of one of them in the creek. 
There were more wildflowers in bloom than on our last visit. Down by the ponds are where you can find what they describe on their website as a naturalistic native plant garden.  I mentioned the Red Cardinal Flower in my other post, and behind them are the Blue Cardinal Flowers, also mentioned.

Further along the butterflies were enjoying the lantana...

and the bees were happily flitting from flower to flower.  They were all over the garden, good to see, busy little pollinators.  The closest I could get to identifying this orange beauty was a Mexican sunflower.  Not 100 percent sure, an orange sunflower at least.  It was in the more cultivated part of the garden.  
Another little bee happily getting bathed in pollen.
This photo shows that the thistles have dried up, though a few were still blooming.  You can see Gregg in the background taking his own photos.
This pretty pink flower is from the Black Cotton Plant, Gossypium herbaceum.
I have seen other types of cotton plant, one at a local garden we've been to.  I have also seen them growing in abundance while passing fields on a past road trip. This ornamental cotton is in the hibiscus family, and has deep black/purple maple shaped leaves and stems, which can grow 24 to 30 inches tall.  The pods are about the size of a walnut and when they split open you will see the white, fluffy balls of cotton.
I read all my information at this website, where you will find more if interested.I had a hard time taking this pink wildflower in the following photo, it was so small.  It is called a Smartweed and there are two types, one is Polygonum persicaria (also called 'ladysthumb') and the other Polygonum pensylvanicum.  Both are called Smartweeds.  It's a guess but what I have read I think it is Polygonum pensylvanicum, don't quote me though.
I found rather fascinating fungi on an old tree stump.  
It is called Trametes versicolor, also known as Coriolus versicolor and Polyporus versicolor, a common polypor mushroom.  

The common name for it is Turkey Tail because of its shape, which is similar to those of a wild turkey.
Apparently it is one of the most common mushrooms in North American woods and you
will see them on decomposing logs and tree stumps, just like the one I found at the garden.
And on that note I will finish my post.  



Thank you for always taking the time to look, and I very much appreciate the comments you leave.




(Both Gregg and I took photos for this post)






28 comments:

  1. Stunning photos! And I love your last close up photo of the Turkey Tail! Black cotton and Ornamental cotton, I had no idea! I just thought there was one kind of cotton! I love everything about the house, including the pretty trim colors. The basket of succulents is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, happy you enjoyed. I didn’t know about this type of black cotton either.

      Delete
  2. I love that home and the ponds and the tea garden is calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely delightful place. Heart balm. I love your photos, and am particularly impressed at the bee butts. And the Turkeytail fungus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely way of putting it EC, Heart balm, very much so! Thank you, so glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  4. Great shots! The Black Cotton Plant flower is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I did love that black cotton bloom.

      Delete
  5. You go walking every day? Wow, you put me to shame! Love today's photos and in particular those mushrooms. Nature has a wonderful way of making nature beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let's just say we try to Valerie. Depending on what is going on we miss a day here and there, but we do enjoy our walks. Taking in so much nature while getting exercise makes the exercise less so, if you know what I mean :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, the gardens and flowers are pretty. I like the cute dogs too. It is a nice place to go for a walk and exercise. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, those dogs were cute weren't they? Wishing you a happy day also :)

      Delete
  7. this place is Snapper Heaven, I could go there every day for a week and snap myself silly. every single photo is gorgeous, so the comment about the sun not being right is a moot point. I don't see how they pics could be anymore perfect. I love them all...the house is lovely and the flowers and especially the dried thistles are just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, couldn't agree more and photos turned out better than we thought they would. Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine, and thank you :)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful property, and well taken care of. The dogs are absolute sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to go and the dogs are always a welcome sight :)

      Delete
  10. Great set of photos and I love that Black Cotton Plant. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it very often, the black cotton. I was amazed at the pretty blooms when I first came across it a few years ago. Those ones I remember were a creamy color. Thanks Diane and a good week to you also :)

      Delete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous, Denise. So much beauty to enjoy on your walk. The last fungi is beautiful, just like a turkey's feathers. I've seen these but didn't know the name. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. Wasn’t it an interesting fungi? Very happy you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  12. What an absolutely lovely place, and I so enjoyed seeing all of the photographs that both you and Gregg took.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great place to take a walk in the grounds of that attractive-looking house! The house has an interesting history. I've enjoyed seeing the different flowers especially the ones that are not familiar to me and native species to the US such as the two different types of Cardinal Flower. Love the butterfly too. It's nice that you and Gregg enjoy the interests of walking, photography and history. Thank you for sharing and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, glad you have enjoyed this post. We are blessed to enjoy many of the same things, but when it comes to sports we part the ways, lol.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!