Monday, September 10, 2018

MONDAY RECIPE POST - A HEALTHIER VERSION OF HUEVOS RANCHEROS

Huevos Rancheros, a healthier version.
Servings: 2
Calories per serving: 385


1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 of a white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoon of cilantro
1 to 2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoons of salt
2 (6 inch) corn tortillas
4 large eggs
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup refried beans, warmed on the stove
1/2 an avocado, diced
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a blender or food processor combine the tomato, onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon of cilantro until almost smooth.

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the tomato mixture and cook until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and set aside.

Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat in another large skillet and cook tortillas about 5 to 10 seconds on each side, until softened.  Set on paper towels to drain.  

Break the eggs into the same skillet over medium heat and cook to desired degree of doneness (cover the skillet if you like the yolk firm).  Season with 1/8 teaspoons of salt and pper. 

Dip each tortilla in the tomato sauce and place in the middle of a plate.  

Spread half of the beans over each tortilla, top with fried eggs, and then spoon over the remaining sauce.

Garnish with sour cream and avocado, sprinkle with cheese and 2 tablespoons of cilantro, and serve.

Nutritional information:

(For 1/2 of recipe) 385 calories; 31 g. carbohydrate; 18 g. protein; 22 g. fat (6 g. sat); 8ng. fiber; 865 mg sodium.


To be honest we were rather skeptical when we saw this recipe, but we decided to give it a go.  Happily we both said how much we enjoyed it, and yes we were a little surprised.  

Okay, so it's not like the Huevos Rancheros I ate in New Mexico on our last road trip out west, where as I ate my meal a single tear made its way slowly down my cheek.  I am not one for hot dishes - this healthier version is not hot at all - but that meal in New Mexico was so good I didn't notice the tear as I ate my authentically made Huevos Rancheros, complete with a red and green chili sauce.  To hub's great amusement he pointed out the tear.  My mouth was on fire some also, but not very difficult to take.  That dish was memorable, and oh so good.  

So, I got my wish, I had tried a local specialty, which is what I wanted to do all along our journey and I was not going to leave New Mexico without trying something authentic, something special.  And this one was one of the best I had on the whole journey, not only for the experience but for our surroundings, a truly authentic Huevos Rancheros.

I found this healthier version online.  I lost the web address before I could make a note of it unfortunately.  The prep was a bit fiddly to start off with but I think we have the hang of it now and next time it will go faster.  

We thought next time we would add extra chopped tomato and also sliced green onions to put on the top, along with the cilantro.  

We also loved the sauce and would double up on it, and maybe eat any leftovers with another meal.  It would go with quite a few  recipes.  

And no, there was no crying here, not even a single tear.  My mouth was not on fire, no chili to contend with this time round.  

This is traditionally a breakfast dish but we enjoyed it at supper time.


23 comments:

  1. It sounds good. Adapting recipes to meet your own tastes often gives us 'keepers' doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil loves this dish, and will go to a Mexican restaurant with a friend sometimes just to eat it. I have not tried making it yet, but this would be a good recipe to start with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised as you can tell by my post. I hope you make it Ginny. Phil might be like us, and be skeptical about eating something not as authentic, but it really was tasty.

      Delete
  3. Hello, sounds delicious. I am not sure if I could eat hot sauce for breakfast. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no hot sauce Eileen, it is very mild. I couldn't see myself eating this for breakfast either, though I am sure it would be just as enjoyable :)

      Delete
  4. we don't eat Mexican food, but this looks delish to me.. I don't own a blender though so can't try it. we do eat tacos, does that count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, it certainly does :) You can maybe try it with bottled salsa? I never ate a lot of Mexican food - my food tastes were very plain - but being on holiday I got the taste for it. We have tried a local Mexican restaurant close by - Gregg has always enjoyed Mexican food - and I think it's time we went there again :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sure we would enjoy your dish, Denise. Not liking tears while eating it sure sounds good to me. That's nice you were able to replicate a meal you enjoyed on your travels. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, if you try it could you let me know what you think? Hope you enjoy :)

      Delete
  6. I like the look of that dish, Denise. I imagine I would like the taste as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, wish I could make it for you and invite you over :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you. You're getting quite good at these posts, photos and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, I read this before having any lunch, Denise, and like you I would not have been abl to avoid tearing up or having to blow my nose if I'd sampled the hot version. Your version looked wonderful and now i have to go and have lunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the way Dorothy? ;) I hope you enjoyed your lunch.

      Delete
  9. As I've never had much of a taste for Mexican food, I've never had Huevos Rancheros. I have heard of it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. Looks like something we'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!