Tuesday, August 1, 2017

PHOTOS FROM BALTIMORE AIRPORT.

I wasn't expecting to take any photos at Baltimore Airport, but a lot of things caught my eye.  I took these on our way to pick up our son and daughter-in-law after their trip to California.


First thing we came across was this very cute working dog.  We saw them several times making their rounds.  They have an important job to do.  He looked like a very young dog and I was wondering if he was in training.  


We also saw some very interesting works of art.


This was on one side of a supporting wall.


And this was on the other side.


An ancient-looking vase below, which from what I could read off the sign, said it was a replica of a Long Hu Zun vessel originally made in the Shang Dynasty (c1600-1046 BCE), and the second Dynasty of China.  The original was unearthed in Anhui Province in the People's Republic of China
in 1957. The people of Anhui Province, Maryland's Sister State, presented this gift to the people of Maryland in 1991, as a symbol of everlasting friendship between the Chinese and American People.


It is always fascinating to me to come across totally unexpected items, such as this very beautiful replica of an ancient vessel from China, while walking through Baltimore Airport.


There were also murals, and I love murals.






There was another one.







All depicting scenes of Maryland life, past and present.





At the far end is the crab sculpture that I shared in my last post.  I wanted to keep them all in one spot for future reference.  I thought he was rather magnificent.


One last shot as we crossed the sky bridge that took us back to where we had parked our car.  The dawn was rising.





30 comments:

  1. With all the murals, I'd never get out of the airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Red, I could have spent a lot longer in that place.

      Delete
  2. Hello from Idaho and stop in from Jimmy blog. That quite the artist airport. Usual I fly from Spokane Washington which doesn't have much in creative line of items, Portland Oregon does offer a bit of creative in there airport. But Medford Oregon is pretty much like Spokane.
    If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Dora and thanks for stopping by. Enjoyed your comment:)

      Delete
  3. What wonderful pictures! This is more like a modern art gallery than an airport. I love murals too, and these are wonderful! I used to live in Maryland. Love the huge crab! He must be representing the Chesapeake Bay. And he is made like stained glass. I am guessing this dog is a drug sniffer, or maybe a bomb sniffer. I love the big beautiful bird made from writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, happy you enjoyed the art at the airport. I would have enjoyed exploring further if I had the time. I agree with you about the dog.

      Delete
  4. I too would enjoying clicking away. Love the hardworking dog, the wall paintings and the crab sculpture. So many things to stop and take in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy :). Glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely outing - to a place that I don't usually associate with quirky beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC, so glad you enjoyed:)

      Delete
  6. Love those murals and the crab is excellent. Even when you think you are not going to take photos it always pays to carry ones camera everywhere! Happy August Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Diane and thank you. Happy August to you too :)

      Delete
  7. I really like the designs on the first supporting wall. At first and from a small distance I didn't realise they were words. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, the vase is beautiful. I love the murals and the crab sculpture. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW!!! what an airport, so many beautiful things to see!! i am a mural lover too, such a great way to decorate spaces, that would otherwise be pretty plain and boring!!!

    maryland, famous for their crab and they always want to brag about it!! hehehehe

    the bird mural was a favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have heard that about those famous crabs, lol. I think they are in competition with Virginia for that honor, at least on the coast :)))

      Delete
  10. I have never seen murals in European airports but it is interesting idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous airport - so well shown off here, D! Thanks for the BCE in the date of the Chinese art. It quietly means a LOT to people who can easily feel de-legitimized in today's politics [as in so many earlier eras!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you are happy :) I once read graffitied on a wall back in one of the riots a long time ago. We are all many different beautiful flowers in one big beautiful garden (Planet Earth). I think the meaning was clear.

      Delete
  12. Thought it was so cool when the airports started doing this. I can remember when they were so plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember seeing an airport on the west coast and thought how very cool. I am glad other airports are following.

      Delete
  13. It's the mural work that really draws my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I would like to go back and study them.

      Delete
  14. A lot of stuff to see there, but I must say that crab is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those murals are great, just love them!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!