Saturday, August 12, 2017

MOUNT VERNON INN RESTAURANT


Last week on a very rainy day, we decided to pop over to the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant for lunch.  I also wanted to look around the gift shop.  A little early for Christmas shopping yes, but I picked up a couple of gifts anyway.  There were so many pretty things in there and I loved browsing around.  It is a great shop, two shops actually across the hall from each other.  


We took Cousin Bill there a few weeks ago, looked around George Washington's home first and then went for a bite to eat at the restaurant.  (If you missed that post you can click on the red lettering at the beginning of this paragraph.  Scroll down and you will see us having a meal in the restaurant.)  


As it poured down outside and felt more like a fall day than summer, Gregg said this would be a good day to go and have a bowl of their peanut and chesnut soup, a good old colonial specialty and one that the restaurant always offers.  


The only thing I took photos of our meal was their homemade skillet cornbread, which comes with a delicious piping of vanilla bean honey butter on the top.  I also enjoyed a mug of coffee.


I forgot to take photos of that soup and the rest of our meal, which was a French dip sandwich which Gregg and I shared.   Another specialty they have is bread pudding.  Whenever we go anywhere we hardly ever seem to feel like a dessert afterwards.  This time, however, curiosity got the better of me. I had heard good things about their bread pudding and decided to take a piece home.  It was very welcome that evening, as delicous as I had heard.  I found their recipe on line and if you like bread pudding, you can look here.  Next time we have friends over it will be on the menu.


There is a very nice room next to the dining area, where you can wait for a table if needed.  Fortunately we didn't have to. There was no one to disturb so I had fun taking photos.






I tried different angles but unfortunately I couldn't get a photo of George without reflections of the lights in the room.


They cast a warm glow that was very nice.


On the way to Mount Vernon we passed George Washington's Grist Mill and I noticed this lovely big barn nearby.  I asked Gregg if he would mind pulling into the parking lot so that I could take yet more photos.  I didn't get out as it was still raining, and took these from the front passenger window.


The barn is located in 
It is a dairy barn and you can read about it here.  I read the following, and more, at this link.

"Though the dairy barn at Grist Mill Park was built in the 1920's by Minnesota Sentator Clapp, the land is part of the Union Farm owned by George Washington.  The farm was part of an original land grant in 1657 and passed through a few members of the Washington family, until George Washington acquired it in 1784.  The farm passed through multiple owners after George Washington's relatives sold it, and eventually 78 undeveloped acres were acquired by the Fairfax County Park Authority in 1978."


Hopefully we will be able to get to the Grist Mill next time.

44 comments:

  1. Great shots. It's been ages since I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carver, thank you! We live about 45 minutes away from Mount Vernon. It's a good place to take visitors to.

      Delete
  2. The dairy barn is beautiful, and looks brand new!! The Inn is just wonderful! I have never seen any place with such a luxurious and comfy place to wait for your table. This little room would make me hope that I HAVE to wait for a table!! Upon visiting, the first thing that hit me is that wallpaper! It really makes the room. I think this type of pattern is called toile? The waiters are very dressed up, too. The cornbread looks delicious, and done to perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginnie, it is a lovely place and there is also another eatery not so far away, that is more of a cafe help-yourself kind of a place. We have eaten there before too. I liked the wallpaper too, and the old fireplaces. Must be lovely to sit and have a meal at one of the tables near them.

      Delete
  3. I like that room, a beautiful place to wait in necessary. and that corn bread has me drooling. I love cornbread. I thought last week I would buy corn meal and make me a pan cornbread for one of my meals and did not write it down and now I can't have cornbread. I am headed to write it down now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sandra, everything about it is lovely. I haven't made cornbread in a very long time, you've just sown the seed :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, your meal sounds yummy. I would love the soup and cornbread. Gorgeous tour and I love the barn. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, glad you enjoyed it. You have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  5. I love the ambiance of this restaurant, Denise! And I think the lamb burger would be something I would love to try. Love the views, too! Thank you so much for sharing, and thanks so much as well for your suggestion about the PayPal button. I will look into this, I will also ask a friend who knows more about it than I do. I really appreciate your advice. Love and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and you are very welcome. I hope it helps.

      Delete
  6. Interesting post. I so often forget to take photos when in a restaurant!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I try to be a little delicate about it :)

      Delete
  7. Glad you had this nice lunch stop, Denise, on what looked like a miserable day to be out. The peanut and chestnut soup would have been something I would try as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I think you would truly enjoy that soup.

      Delete
  8. It looks like a truly lovely use of a rainy day. And please, feel free to send some of that rain this way. We need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could EC but am defiinitely wishing you rain my friend :)

      Delete
  9. A very beautifully decorated restaurant & good to know the food is as good!
    The barn is spectacular as far as barns go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, and I agree about the barn. It is one of the nicest I have seen and so well-maintained.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place for lunch, must feel all the more cosy in the rain.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia, it was indeed very cosy :) Denise xo

      Delete
  11. I seem to have missed this post... hope I've caught up now. I loved the 'warm glow' as you called it ... the word that came to my mind was 'homely', which means the same thing. I bet that soup tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, glad you enjjoyed it. I think we are of like mind :)

      Delete
  12. Denise, it has been sometime since we last visited Mount Vernon. Your photos brought back good memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to learn that you have been here Doug. Glad the photos brought back some nice memories. Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. That had to be delicious food from the sounds of it...and that is one gorgeous barn. You should link it to the Collective at Tom The Backroads traveller. I haven't linked yet, but will come up with something for tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, I am not doing any blogs right now but Tom was in my thoughts when I saw this barn. One of these days I will be back to my memes.

      Delete
  14. I love tours like that...I love the historial homes. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam and thank you, they are a lot of fun aren't they? :)

      Delete
  15. That is such a beautiful restaurant and the room next to it is lovely. So many nice places to visit in your area, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, we feel lucky to have a lot of interesting places around here.

      Delete
  16. This truly looks like such a fun, interesting place to visit. You and Gregg find the most amazing places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay :) We do enjoy exploring these places.

      Delete
  17. Hi Denise,

    Great that you were able to escape the rain into the lovely restaurant for lunch. I enjoyed seeing your photos - looks like a great place to visit.
    Happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, thank you and happy week and hugs to you too :)

      Delete
  18. i was so excited to see the food, i do the same thing all the time, in fact just yesterday!! :(

    looks like a real great place to enjoy a nice long lunch on a rainy day. i have not been there in a very long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thank you it was lovely and am happy to learn you have been there :)

      Delete
  19. Quite inviting! The menu sounds tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will be going here again to try some of the different items.

      Delete
  20. I have been to Mount Vernon but not the Inn. Looks incredible! I bet the food was devine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelleyn, it is a fun place to visit and the food is great.

      Delete
  21. Goodness that rain, so pleased you escaped it for the lovely restaurant for lunch.
    Lovely to see all of your photos.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can get a good old torrential downpour at times Jan, but tonight we have had one of those wonderful-for-the-garden rains, and no doubt wonderful for the farmers too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!