Thursday, April 15, 2021

GREEN SPRING GARDENS CONTINUED - MORE FLOWERS

 

The Magnolia blooms were a little past their prime but still very pretty.  I learned that the trees can last 80 to 120 years.  The size depends on the species.  Smaller species are only about 15 feet tall.  Larger species can grow to 80 feet in height.  
Magnolias are believed to be the earliest known flowering plant, with their fossils dating back over 100 million years.  Magnolia trees even existed before bees, so they rely on beetles for pollination.  
Instead of nectar the flowers produce large quantities of pollen that the beetles use for food.  I read this information and more at this link.

I shared information on the history of the house here if you would like to take a look.
This is the Grape Hyacinth (Muscari)
It is a perennial plant native to Greece and Asia and grow to be 6 to 8 inches in height.  
Despite its name it is not actually related to the hyacinth; muscari are members of the Lily family.  If you go to this link you will find a lot more information.
This is where I found the poem that I shared in my post a little while ago. It was outside a fenced off garden where they grow produce and other plants throughout the year.
The following cluster of flowers is called Virginia Springbeauty.  It is also called Fairy spud, Spring beauty, Good morning spring, Narrowleaf springbeauty, Eastern springbeauty, Common spring-beauty, Spring-beauty and Grass-flower.
It is native to Eastern North America, from the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean.  It is a very important native plant for bees, as it is one of the earliest nectar sources.  This is one of the earliest wildflowers to bloom in Spring.  The tuber roots are edible and taste like sweet potato.  It can grow en-mass and is a gorgeous pink-white carpet on the forest floor.  They are often found growing near Wild Violets.  All this information I found here.
Wild Violets.  
There are 600 species of Violets.  They have been cultivated from about 500 BC and their color can depend on the species; they can be purple, blue, white, cream or multicolor.  

Native Americans had many uses for violets.  They made blue dye from them to dye their arrows.  They also soaked corn seed in an infusion made from the roots before it was planted to keep insect pests from eating the seeds.  

The Inuktitut/Inuit people placed stems and flowers among their clothes to give them a sweet fragrance, and almost all ate the leave and flowers.  
Violets were also Napoleon Bonaparte's Signature Flower.  He used the blooms to cover his wife Josephine's grave when she died in 1814.  In fact, he was called Corporal Violet by friends, after promising them he would return from his exile in Elba before violet season.  Bonaparte's supporters even used violets to determine if someone was loyal to him, by asking them if they liked the flowers - only a response of "Eh, bien" proved loyalty, according to the American Violet Society.
This is the Hellebore, and my information and more came from this link.  It is a plant that belongs to the buttercup family.  There are around 10 species of hellebore that originated from Europe and Asia.  Hellebore was extensively used as herbal remedies in the past but due to a high content of toxic substances, hellebore is mostly cultivated for ornamental purposes today.  Christmas rose, Winter rose and Lenten rose are popular types of hellebores.  Despite their name, they are not genetically related with roses.  The name "Helleborus" originates from the Greek words "helle" which means 'to take away' and "bora" which means "food".  The name refers to the emetic properties of this plant.  Like many plants it is quite toxic.  Historians believe that hellebore was one of the plants (part of an herbal mixture) responsible for the death of Alexander the Great.
These are the flowers that I was asked about yesterday.  The ID marker is a little fuzzy but it will show you what they are.  At this link it said, "'Golden Bells' Miniature Daffodil charms with dainty golden cups atop stars of small basal petals.  Cheery, upward-facing blooms extend the daffodil season from late spring through early summer.  Once established, each bulb can produce up to 15 flowers for masses of buttercup yellow color.  Their dwarf size and narrow leaf blades make 'Golden Bells' idea for naturalizing in lawns and meadows (Narcissus bulbocodium)."   

More here. "Daffodil 'Golden Bells' is known as the Yellow Hoop Petticoat narcissi."
I will finish now.  I tend to get carried away when finding out about the flowers and plants I photograph.  

Thank you so much for stopping by today and I hope the flowers around you bring you joy. Enjoy the rest of your week.




35 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling me about the beautiful Golden Bells. I loved the info on the Magnolias, it was a real WOW moment!! I have never seen a pink one. But we do have lots of wild violets in our yard. And I have been snapping the Grape Hyacinth for a future post, I seem to do one every year. You are a virtual encyclopedia of flower info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ginny, your question made me want to find out more and for that I thank you :) It is interesting what we find out about these things isn't it? I look forward to your photos of the Grape Hyacinth. I like to add the links not only for my blogging friends, for me to as I often need a little refresher course :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I adore spring blooms and displays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Beautiful images and lovely blooms. I would like a lawn filled with the Golden bells, they look so pretty. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, now that would be a delight to see. Thank you and a happy day to you also :)

      Delete

  4. Interesting information about flowers and beautiful photos. I like magnolias I can see them from my window. Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucyna, glad you found my post interesting :) Thank you and you have a nice day also :)

      Delete
  5. These flowers are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the lovely pictures and hope that you are well! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello RO! You are very welcome, so glad you enjoyed. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  6. So magnolias and many trees outlive us. Thanks for all the interesting info and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine, always happy to share what I learn :)

      Delete
  7. Once again amazing photos of all the beautiful flowers and I've never seen a magnolia tree like that. Also did not know the information about Magnolias! We do have short trees and really really tall trees here but they have giant plate sized Magnolia blooms and they are white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, they are so very interesting these flowers and trees once we start learning all about them. Interesting about yours. I bet they are incredible!

      Delete
  8. Interesting info on the magnolias. We don't have magnolias here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is so beautiful Denise. Magnolias are a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of those flowers. I like to fill my patio with flowers from Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet they looks beautiful Gigi. I'm getting ready to buy patio flowers too :)

      Delete
  11. Kwiaty są piękne, zgadzam się :) Dziękuję!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring is looking beautiful where you are Denise. Beautiful photos and lots of great infromation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen :) I have always been very curious about such things.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful flowers! Muscari are often planted in our tulip beds as companion flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are some real beauties here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i always enjoy your posts about flowers, you always share such interesting information!! the tulip magnolias are my favorite flowering tree, even over the cherry blossoms. they are gorgeous, i wish they held their blooms for longer!! i love the grape hyacinth, they are so tiny and spread like ground cover so beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy you enjoy my posts Debbie :) I wish they would bloom longer also. I am going to be planting grape hyacinth in my garden.

      Delete
  16. It feels like forever since I've seen a magnolia tree. We saw quite a few in Illinois. I love your wild violets. That is Illinois' state flower. I loved seeing those sweet purple flowers every spring, but sometimes they got into the lawn and were a bit of a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have magnolia all over this state. I love this time of the year when they are blooming. We have a state arboretum and I remember visiting it when the grass was purple with these flowers. Absolutely beautiful but can understand why people don't want them in their manicured lawns.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!