Monday, July 16, 2018

A CROW AT ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY


Our company has come and gone.  We had a great time with them and it went far too quickly.  They arrived in the early afternoon on Saturday, and we spent the rest of the day at home just chatting.  

On the Sunday before they left for home we drove to the cemetery to visit with our loved ones.  It is always a little sad but as we often do, we talked about our memories of these special family members.  They made us smile and even laugh a little.  

I took this photo of all the headstones and a crow flew into frame.  This same crow landed next to the open window on the driver's side of our car, which was parked not too far away.  We truly thought it was going to hop inside but, not finding any food I guess, it flew away.  

The cemetery was busy. An open-air bus made its way down the road full of tourists.  I wonder if they noticed our small group, with some of us sitting on the grass as we shared our memories?  It was warm but with a lovely breeze to cool us down.  

About 3,000,000 tourists visit Arlington National Cemetery every year.  Here is an interesting link if you would like to take a look.

We had traveled there in two cars and said goodbyes at the cemetery, with promises of meeting up again soon.  



20 comments:

  1. This photo really is fantastic! It is kept up beautifully. But how do you ever find your loved ones among the rows and rows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, Arlington gives me a sense of peace when I go there. It is hard to explain. There is an app you can get for your phone that is a map to everyone ‘s grave. You just type in a name and you are guided there. But we have been going so often over the years to visit, that we can find the place we need without difficulty.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful that you were able to pay your respects...the crow...hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, the crow’s visit was a first though there are always a lot of robins around.

      Delete
  3. Arlington Cemetery is hauntingly beautiful, Denise. Your photo attests to that fact. God bless all the military families and their sacrifice. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, a sweet sentiment, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Arlington Cemetery invites prayers therefore I say one now for all those lost in action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very peaceful place and the crow just adds to it. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happen to love crows they bring lots of messages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very intelligent birds aren’t they?

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise, Awesome capture of the crow. I would like to visit Arlington, my uncle is buried there. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. I hope you get to visit your uncle’s resting place one day.

      Delete
  8. It is a beautiful cemetery, I remember visiting it. Your relatives must have been special to be buried there. Nice to have company now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As are all Veterans who rest there. I am happy you got to see it Diane.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!