Thursday, July 16, 2026

PRAYER OF THE WOODS

I have seen this before and think it is lovely. It seemed to deserve its own post.

(The words above can be found at the bottom of my post for translation.)

This has been around for a long time, and you may have seen it before. When I read it, I was sent on a curiosity journey and thanks to Google it wasn’t a long one. 

The poem is often shared as ‘Anonymous Author’ but I learned it was written in 1914 by a Portuguese gentleman, Alberto da Veiga Simões (December 1888 to December 1954). He was a writer, journalist, historian, politician, diplomat, and ambassador.

The poem was first published as “Ao Viandante”, which translates to “To the Wayfarer" or "To the person who passes through this place." It was traditionally used in Portuguese forest preservation spaces for decades. The text was later translated to English by an unknown translator. It is now widely seen printed on wooden signs along hiking trails and parks throughout North America and Europe. Canadian folk musician Tony Dekker adapted the poem into a song for his 2013 solo album, which is also titled "Prayer of the Woods."

I have enjoyed finding out more about this beautiful poem. I hope you have too.

Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by. 
Saluting all the tree huggers out there.










Poem for our international friends to translate:
Prayer of the Woods - I am the heat of your hearth on the cold 
winter nights, the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun, 
and my fruits are refreshing droughts quenching your thirst as you 
journey on. I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table, 
the bed on which you lie, and the timber that builds your boat. I am the
handle of your hoe, the door of your homestead, the wood of your 
Cradle and the shell of your coffin. I am the bread of kindness and the 
flower of beauty. Ye who pass by, listen to my prayer. Harm me not.



50 comments:

  1. It is wonderful! Beautiful, surprising, and true. I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely, I've never seen or heard of it before so that makes it extra special to read it now and to see who wrote it too. Thanks Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you enjoyed it Margaret :) and you are very welcome.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this before, isn't it lovely. It does make you stop and think too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes it is. I am happy you thought so too. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That’s great, thank you very much friends :)

      Delete
  5. I am so moved by this tree—please let it stand just as it is... what a world of emotion opens up when reading this poem!!!
    A huge, loving thank you, Denise, for sharing this with us here!!!!
    Much love and a hug, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me very happy dear Elke. I felt the same way when I read it for the first time and your words have brought me joy. Thank you dear friend :) I extend to you the same loving thank you and send much love and a hug to you also, Denise

      Delete
  6. Wonderful poem, Hubby and I are tree huggers. We love hiking in the forest. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be Eileen, I recognize both you and your Hubby as tree huggers from those wonderful walks you take. You take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  7. “Harm me not.” Someone should remind the idiots who gouge the tree with their initials. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw beautiful coastal Madrones scarred in this manner. It almost makes me weep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words say it all David, don’t they? It does make one weep.

      Delete
  8. I have never heard this one before. I love it. How wonderful that it is so widely used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! I didn't know this poem at all though I have been taking a walk in the woods almost daily...so THANK YOU, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Angie, and how wonderful you take daily walks in the woods almost daily :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you. This is beautiful as are you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words dear Regine. I think the same of you my dear :)

      Delete
  11. Somehow, I have missed that 'poem' in my long life. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and I am happy to introduce it to you John :)

      Delete
  12. That is lovely. I wish more people appreciated the woods, but too many definitely don't. Is the fire smoke coming down as far south as VA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you thought so Erika :) and me too. The fire smoke from the north has reached us. We were told to stay indoors if we could and we won’t be going too far I don’t think, for a few days at least. I hope you and everyone affected gets some relief very soon.

      Delete
  13. That is really lovely. We owe so much to trees and woods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Denise I love this and your graphic at the end.
    It reminded me of the Joyce Kilmer poem Trees...
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Cecilia :) thank you for sharing that and for reminding me of the poem. I am going to read it again. It’s truly a classic. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  15. I'd not come across this before ... what a wonderful poem :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to introduce it to you Jan, it is up there in my favorites. All the best, Denise :)

      Delete
  16. I love how you dug up the history behind this beautiful piece because I always assumed it was just a nameless folk poem. Knowing it came from a Portuguese diplomat back in 1914 makes reading those lines feel even more special. The idea of trees shielding us from cradle to grave is incredibly moving. We owe our forests so much respect. I will definitely be thinking about this next time I am out hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you would be Melody, you enjoy the outdoors with such enthusiasm, it is a joy to see :) I know what you mean about ‘author anonymous’. I always check now, as I did with this one and discovered the very interesting story behind it. Those lines you mentioned, I agree. Such a profound poem and I also agree with your last sentence. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  17. Uno debe cuidar la naturaleza. Te mando un beso y ten un buen fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy totalmente de acuerdo. Gracias y te deseo un muy feliz fin de semana. Te mando un beso :)

      Delete
  18. That is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, I am glad you enjoyed Jeanie :)

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a poem that could fit into the Lord of the Rings. Hope you have a lovely weekend, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that Ellen but I can see that :) Thanks so much, you have a lovely weekend too.

      Delete
  20. I have not seen this poem before. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Sandra :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  21. A timely reminder of how special an important trees are to us human beings and how we should look after them and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had never ever heard of it - but I loved it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you did Sandie :) and thank you too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!