I wanted to start off the week with a healthy meal and not being a fan of a lot of the ingredients, Gregg went a different way. This for some would be a very bland meal if you are used to lots of flavors, but there are times I enjoy a healthy and even a bland meal. I intend to do it again sometime and that's why I am putting it on here. It might not be your cup of tea either so you may want to skip.
There is a lot of preparation so I started cutting up vegetables the night before and getting everything measured out.
Gregg came down the next morning to the smell of cooked eggshells and beets and broccoli cuttings in the trash, which I had forgotten to throw out before I went to bed late. These being his least favorite things to greet the nostrils at any time of the day, let alone a whiff first thing in the morning, or mine either for that matter. I won’t forget next time, no matter what it is.
The recipe comes from Eating Well and the link to the original recipe can be found here.
Roasted Vegetable Breakfast Grain Bowl
Serves 6
1 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
2 small red beets, peeled and cubed (3/4 inch - about 2 cups)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets (1-1/2 inch - about 4 cups)
6 large eggs
6 tablespoons tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons, depending on size)
2 tablespoons water
2 cloves garlic, grated
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. with racks in top and bottom third positions (see my note below).Toss chopped squash, cubed beets, 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt, cumin, smoked paprika and pepper together on a large, rimmed baking sheet until evenly coated; spread in an even layer. Roast on the bottom rack, stirring once, until lightly browned and tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss broccoli florets with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each cumin, smoked paprika and pepper on another large, rimmed baking sheet until evenly coated; spread in an even layer. Roast on the top rack until browned and tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat and set a medium bowl of ice water next to the stove. Gently use a spoon to lower 6 eggs into the boiling water; reduce heat as needed to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer gently stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath; let cool for 2 minutes. Drain the eggs and set aside.
Whisk 6 tablespoons tahini, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, grated garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a small bowl until creamy and smooth.
Stir 3 cups cooked quinoa and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl; divide among 6 bowls. Top with black beans, roasted squash mixture and roasted broccoli. Peel the eggs under running water, discarding shells; cut each egg in half lengthwise and place on top of the breakfast bowls.
Drizzle each bowl with the tahini mixture.
To make ahead:
Make the eggs and refrigerate in their shells in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Gently reheat in warm-hot (not boiling) water.
Make the tahini sauce and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
I enjoyed it and will make again. Gregg looked at it and said, "Nuh-uh!" Lol!
It all depends on your individual tastes.
I found it a lot of prep work and started the night before. Made it a lot easier and I am glad for the leftovers to last me a couple of days.
I also am trying a few anti-inflammatory meals, and this is one of them.
I made a few short cuts. I couldn't find any fresh acorn squash in our supermarket, nor frozen. I substituted a packet of frozen, cubed butternut squash.
Not wanting to turn the oven on because it's way too hot for that, I steamed the veggies on the stove top. When the weather turns in the autumn, I will make this again using the exact directions.
Hopefully I have explained everything properly but if anything looks a bit off (it's almost midnight and I wanted to get this published in time for tomorrow so have rushed a bit), let me know in the comment section.
Added note: Gregg discovered later that he liked the Tahini Dressing as a dip for his Triscuit crackers. It was quite good.
I have written the whole address out below for you to copy and paste if you prefer.
https://www.eatingwell.com/roasted-vegetable-breakfast-grain-bowl-8742347
Thanks for looking and
wishing you all a great week.



I will say it is a beautiful and very healthy-looking dish. And it looks like you put in a lot of work into it.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandie, I enjoyed it :)
DeleteI love eggs! They are super food :-) Have a great new week, Denise.
ReplyDeleteGreat! Thanks Angie, you too :)
DeleteThanks, that’s a really delicious recipe—I love that kind of thing for lunch! I’ll have to make something else for my sweetheart, though; he doesn't know what's healthy—*grin*.
ReplyDeletehave a good day, hugs Elke
So glad Elke and yes, my sweetheart heart too *grin*. And as the old saying goes and one I have used before, it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing :) I wish you a good day too. Hugs, Denise
DeleteThat looks, and I am sure it tastes terrific.
ReplyDeleteThank you friends, it did :)
DeleteLots of lovely food in that dish there, Denise.
ReplyDeleteAgreed Margaret, thank you :)
DeleteThat's a lot of preparation.
ReplyDeleteI must say I tend to prefer bland food, or at least, less spicy. I'm not very adventurous with food.
I grew up with delicious but what many would consider bland food :)
DeleteIf I were there I would try it, but I sure do not need the address to the recipe. PREP TIME is NOT my thing.. 15 minute meals is how I go....
ReplyDeletelol! Good one Sandra :) 15 minutes is a good way to go. I do quite a lot of those too.
DeleteIt does look good...hadn't thought of hard-boiled eggs for breakfast! Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
You’re very welcome Donna :) I don’t normally eat hard-boiled eggs for breakfast but I think I will more often now. Hugs, Denise
DeleteI could enjoy this for lunch, but not for breakfast.
ReplyDeleteI would eat this for dinner also :)
DeleteI would be like Greg and say nuh-uh...lol I'm not a fan of bland and I hate anything that involves a lot of prep work.
ReplyDeleteYou and he would get along great, lol! :) There are times I enjoy prepping and other times I don’t.
DeleteI’m with Greg wrt this breakfast. I can’t get past the sight of the eggs for a starter. I like eggs, but can’t seem to abide the sight of them in this state. So silly, I know.
ReplyDeleteYou and Gregg definitely feel the same, any other way he is fine. No, not silly, we just know what we like :)
DeleteWhat a good idea.
ReplyDeleteHappy you think so Jenn, thank you :)
DeleteThis bowl is beautiful and all the more so because it is so healthy. This is just the sort of meal we like and I'm giving it a try, thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope you're enjoying the summer!
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Hello Amalia :) so glad you like the look of it. You are very welcome and thank you! I am enjoying the summer and hope you are too. Denise xo
DeleteThis is a lot of prep! I would like a scaled down version, I think.
ReplyDeleteI agree Sandra and this would be easy to scale down :)
DeleteGreg went his own way - Lol! That happens a lot at my house when I try new things.
ReplyDeletelol! Good to know Christine and thanks for the smile :)
DeleteLooks healthy and delicious! Thanks for sharing Denise.
ReplyDeleteTake care, have a great day and a happy week!
You are very welcome Eileen and thank you, I wish you the same :)
DeleteNot a recipe I will bookmark this time. Glad you like it though.
ReplyDeleteNot everyone’s cup of tea Marcia and thanks you :)
DeleteHealthy, tasty and very pretty.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gregg about egg shells
Hugs Cecilia
Gregg has another kindred spirit I see :) Thanks Cecilia, sending hugs, Denise
DeleteWow, I bet it has all the vitamins and minerals you would need for the entire day!
ReplyDeleteIt would definitely do that I think Ginny :)
DeleteIt is pretty, but definitely not for me in tge morning. Maybe lunch or dinner!
ReplyDeleteGood for other times of the day most definitely :) Thanks Granny Sue.
DeleteQuite a lot of preparation ... it looks good though, pleased you enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Yes indeed and I couldn’t do this every day, that’s for sure :) Thank you Jan, all the best, Denise
DeleteGracias por la receta. Te deseo una buena semana. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDelete¡De nada y muchas gracias! Te deseo una buena semana a ti también. Te mando un beso.
Deletei don't mind a lot of prep work if the outcome is good!! sounds good and looks pretty!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful and thank you Debbie :)
DeleteThis looks very good
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Hena, I appreciate that :)
DeleteHats off to you for doing all that prep work for your healthy meal. :) Happy Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen. I must admit, even breaking it up from one day to the next, I was a bit tired :) Happy Tuesday!
DeleteThis looks like such a healthy meal. You are always making something special in that kitchen of yours, Denise.
ReplyDeleteI try my best, thank you for the kind words Sheri :)
Delete