Monday, July 20, 2026

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - LEMON BARS

This is another one of those weeks where no new dishes were prepared. I went into my archives and found this. It has not been made in a long time, should have been as it was and would still be a favorite of ours, so maybe soon. Unfortunately the links no longer work. I will do a search later and see what I can find. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy! 


Lemon Bars

For the crust:

1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cups flour

1/8 teaspoon salt


For the filling:

6 extra-large eggs at room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar

2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons, I ended up using 6 lemons)

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 cup flour

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into squares or even triangles, and dust with confectioners' sugar. 

If you like that lemony taste, which we do, this is a wonderful treat for dessert. You don't need more than a small piece as it is very rich.

Because it's just the two of us I made a regular batch. After we had tried a piece I put the dish into the refrigerator, and when it was completely cold I cut it up into individual portions. These portions went into a freezer bag and then into the freezer, to take one out to thaw whenever we felt like a piece. They still taste great after being frozen.

Added note: the ingredients appear to be the same as the recipe from Barefoot Contessa at this address:

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/lemon-bars


Thanks for taking a look, have a great week

and Bon Appétit!






30 comments:

  1. It's one of my favourite desserts. Yours turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to fix these again, it's a favorite of mine too but I have been trying to stay away from desserts :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yummy Denise. Made similar long time ago now my mouth waters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious. I am a useless cook but my daughter has become a good baker. I'll give her the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely. My mouth waters at the thought of lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would enjoy a piece right now if I had made it recently :) Thanks Janice!

      Delete
  5. I am sure I would enjoy them! Perhaps it’s a good thing we don’t make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would have liked this. He loved lemon flavored things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Ann :) thank you for sharing about your dear husband.

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise,
    The lemon bars look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome. Glad I found it to share today :) You take care and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. A delicious cake—thanks for the recipe!
    Have a great day! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Elke :) you are very welcome. I am happy you like it I wish you a great day also. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  9. Yum. I'd eat them but not very good at making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Val, I am glad you would enjoy eating them and I am sure you could make them :)

      Delete
  10. We do so love the flavor or lemon. One of our favorite Archway Cookies is lemon frosted and for sure a tall glass of lemonade would be wonderful today
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly would be wonderful Cecilia and that cookie too :) hugs, Denise

      Delete
  11. Thanks for highlighting this wonderful lemony recipe. Perfect for summer. Blessings on your fresh new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ellen :) and yes, perfect for summer. I wish you the same.

      Delete
  12. I have never made these but do love them when they show up at potluck gaterhings. Must bookmark you're recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be a great addition to a potluck Marcia :) Glad you like the recipe enough to bookmark it, thank you :)

      Delete
  13. I'll have to try this recipe. I like lemon bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you Sandra, happy you like it.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!