Sunday, July 26, 2026

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - A POEM

 I haven't brought down any poetry books from the shelf in a while. I had a few quiet moments yesterday, drinking a cup of coffee, working on a blog post. I happened to look up and there they were, beckoning me to take one down. I chose "Talking to the Wild" by Becky Hemsley. Next to Mary Oliver, she is one of my favorites. It was a good hour before I got back to blogging, reading these lovely poems took over. 


You tell me that I'm childish

Seeing magic in the world

That there's no room for enchantment

On this scientific earth


You give me explanations

And you hand me charts and graphs

For you say there can't be magic

In the company of fact


But I'll argue that there's magic

In a new-born baby's cry

And in how that baby heard

Its mother's heart beat from inside.


I'll tell you that it's magic 

How a butterfly exists

That there's something most spellbinding

About metamorphosis


There's magic in the differences 

Between each flake of snow

And in people finding footprints 

From a million years ago


I'll tell you that it's magic

How the tides move with the moon

And how the sun can split a raindrop

Into seven different hues


It's magic how a spider 

Weaves a complex fragile web

And how all the words of years of songs

Are stored inside our heads


But you'll tell me there's no magic

For this all can be explained

Yet, to me, there's magic dancing 

In the workings of our brains


See, the danger is our knowledge

Means there's little awe to spare

But if we stop looking for magic

Then we'll never see it there.


~Magic by Becky Hemsley~




My photo was taken in Manassas (Virginia), and is an old one from 2009. We decided to treat ourselves to breakfast at Bob Evans after running a few errands. As we were leaving the restaurant, we looked up at the sky and this was what we saw. I don't think I have seen a sky like it since, and I look up all the time. This was special enough to make both our mouths drop open. It was glorious! Straight out of the camera taken with a little point-and-shoot.

Wishing you all a great Sunday.




52 comments:

  1. The sky is stunning! I never heard of this poet, and I really like the poem, and totally agree with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Denise, you are such a magical woman; you remind me of Mary Poppins, who does good for everyone and radiates so much love. You take us to great heights—you don't even need an umbrella to fly; you manage that all on your own with your wonderful posts.
    Thank you for this wonderful post and photo—it’s fantastic; I was so moved that it brought tears to my eyes!
    I wish you and Gregg a lovely Sunday, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a dear friend for saying this Elke. You are very welcome. I very much appreciate your kind words, you have warmed my heart and have made my day, thank you so much :))) I hope you have had a lovely Sunday and Monday also. I also wish you a very happy week. Lots of hugs, Denise

      Delete
  3. So beautiful dear Denis...kiss and Hug Andreja from Slovenija!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Andreja, I am very happy to see you here again :) A kiss and a hug, Denise

      Delete
  4. There is much magic in life. I experience it daily. Understanding the science behind events only increases the sense of awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s wonderful David, I agree with you :)

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful poem, you always choose good ones, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it Margaret, thank you and appreciate the compliment :)

      Delete
  6. Dear Denise :)
    Your sky shot is magical and I loved the poem.We are on the same page about madic in our daily lives.We just have to look for it, and it's there._)
    All the best.
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Sonjia, and how lovely we feel the same way. Yes indeed :) All the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  7. Beautiful sky photo! Love the poem! Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, that’s great :) You take care too and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  8. Magic by Becky Hemsley... such a lovely poem.

    Happy Sunday Wishes to you and Gregg.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a marvelous way with words, doesn’t she Jan? :) Happy Sunday wishes to you also aand have a great week.

      Delete
  9. Both the sky and the poem are beautiful, Denise. You never know when a sonderful photo opp will appear. Thanks for sharing both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed them Dorothy and you are very welcome :) true what you say as a few minutes later it was gone.

      Delete
  10. I love this poem. Thank you for sharing it today. That photo is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Ann and you are very welcome, it is a beautiful poem :)

      Delete
  11. I love the poem and so agree with its sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The could not be a better photo accompanying this poem, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Sandra, as soon as I found the photo I knew exactly what I was going to pair it with. Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful poem by Becky Hemsley. Your sky photo is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beverley :) She is a wonderful poet and I am happy you liked Becky’s poem also.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful sky, and I love the poem (saved it to my favorites folder).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you enjoyed both Sandra, and liked enough to save it to your favorites folder. Thank you :)

      Delete
  15. I loved that. I am not much of a poetry kind of gal but I may just order that book of poetry if I can find it. I think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy Latane. I think you would enjoy Becky’s book. She has many jewels inside :)

      Delete
  16. Indeed a happy Sunday Denise
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Cecilia and thank you :) Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  17. That photo is incredible. I like the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, glad you thought so and very happy you liked the poem :)

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you Granny Marigold. I thought so too :)

      Delete
  19. It looks heavenly. I love your photo. The poem is lovely. Just breathing in and out is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like that poem and it is true - but I do believe God created all that magic!
    Sandie/chatty crone

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's amazing how much the few words in a poem can actually say, isn't it? This is lovely. We all need some magic in our lives. Happy new week Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is and Becky’s poetry is like that. We certainly do need magic in our lives :) Happy new week to you also Erika :)

      Delete
  22. Such a perfect poem. Great imagery, and it goes perfectly with your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet of you to say, thank you Granny Sue :)

      Delete
  23. i wondered if you had taken that gorgeous image, wow!! loved the poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Debbie :) it was one of those situations where I was in the right place at the right time.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!