Monday, May 3, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - FRESH BLACKBERRIES AND CREAM ICE POPS

I couldn’t get my blackberry popsicle photo to look that pretty, but it was very tasty.  Truthfully I didn't spend much time trying as the creative side of my brain was a bit tired.  Next time I will at least fill the container to the top.  Maybe that will make it look better, but then maybe my OCD is showing!  

We enjoy the occasional dessert, and always looking for something that will satisfy the sweet tooth and also be healthier.  With organic fresh blackberries and yogurt ice-cream, and only 2 tablespoons sugar divided 6 ways, it seemed that it fit with what we were looking for.  It is 126 calories for each popsicle.  

With the warmer days I thought it would be nice to make this recipe found at All Recipes.  

From prep time to finish it took about 3 hours and 30 minutes.  The 3 hours is required for freezing, the rest is preparation time.  It makes 6 ice pops. 


Fresh Blackberries and Cream Ice Pops


8 ounces fresh blackberries

2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt, softened

2 tablespoons white sugar

1 6-piece ice pop molds

 

Place the blackberries into a blender or food processor. Cover and puree until the mixture is smooth.

Pour the blackberry puree through a fine sieve placed over a large bowl to strain out the seeds.  

Add the softened frozen yogurt and sugar to the strained blackberry puree and mix well.

Pour into ice pop molds, and freeze for at least 3 hours.

What did we think?  Gregg liked them so much he put another container of blackberries on the shopping list.  

I will try strawberries or another fruit some time.  Peaches may be good also.  Not sure if you would have to strain strawberries or raspberries, maybe. 

I was amazed at how many seeds there were in 8-ounces of blackberries, but I believe it was a necessary part of the process to make them so smooth.  I had to press the seeds through the sieve with a wooden spoon, but next time to speed up this part of the process I will use the bottom of a cup or small bowl, at least something with a larger surface.  For me it was a bit time consuming as I didn't do them that far in advance to drain them slowly.  If you have better ideas let me know.  

When filling the molds a small funnel might come in handy.  I managed with one of my measuring cups but it was a bit tricky and I had a damp towel handy.

Once frozen and to remove the popsicle from the container more easily, I ran it under warm/hot water for a few seconds.  Try to remove gently and if they don't budge easily, repeat.

If you click here the link will take you to similar molds I used.  I bought mine at a local store a few years ago.

If you have any additional thoughts, please feel free to let me know in the comment section.  I always enjoy new ideas.

I might leave the sugar out next time to see if it makes a difference.  

I found another version of the popsicle here that uses Greek yogurt and milk, and would like to give their recipe a try too.


Thanks for checking out this week's recipe, bon appétit and enjoy your day!



29 comments:

  1. Sounds like a healthful dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound good. I am not sure that I would bother to strain it - I am happy to eat the seeds on the fruit, so probably wouldn't bother. Passionfruit would be another refreshing flavour - and I wouldn't strain them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, seeds or no seeds that is the question. Channeling Shakespeare here, lol! Passionfruit sounds delicious, thank you for the idea :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    It does sound like a healthy dessert, great for a hot summer day. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This sounds like the perfect hot weather treat. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, I agree and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  5. it looks delish but really hard to do, so i will continue to just throw the berries and fruit in a bag and freeze the pieces.. I love frozen grapes, and all berries, not blackberries though, have not frozen them, i just like them fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I do like the idea of freezing grapes and the berries, and having them as a snack :)

      Delete
  6. This is the only way I can have blackberries, the seeds gone and I am fine. :-))
    Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I'm glad you can enjoy them without the seeds :) We are well, and I hope the same for you :)

      Delete
  7. That looks like a refreshing dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to forward this recipe to my daughter in law for the grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like this enough to send to your daughter-in-law for your grandchildren. Thank you Ellen :)

      Delete
  9. You always find such interesting and creative recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, I'm happy you like the look of my recipes :)

      Delete
  10. Blackberries or Blueberries ...
    So good.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe idea.

    Happy May Wishes.
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan and you are very welcome. So glad you liked the recipe. Happy May Wishes and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  11. Dziękuję bardzo, cieszę się, że podoba Ci się ten przepis :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Great! So glad you liked the look of this recipe. Thanks William :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!