Monday, February 8, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - ROAST CHICKEN


I found this recipe by Ina Garten over at the Food Network here.  There is also a video that shows how to make it.


Perfect Roast Chicken - 8 servings

Our meal was on the table in just over two hours, from preparation to table.


1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken

Kosher Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs

1 lemon, halved

1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted

1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced

4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks

1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges

Olive oil

 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out, and then pat the outside dry.

Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. 

Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.

Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.

Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.

Roast the chicken for 1-1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.

Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. 

Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.


This was a great meal.  I have been a fan of Ina Garten, and watched her show on the food channel for many years.  I have also purchased a few of her recipe books at various times.  Whenever I have tried any of her recipes, they have turned out well.

We made a few changes.  I had no fresh thyme so dried thyme was sprinkled into the cavity, and over the veggies.

I didn't have a fennel bulb but we had the potatoes, carrots and onion.  If you enjoy those three vegetables, it is a great combination for this dish but you can obviously use your favorites.

Our chicken was smaller and took less time to cook.  

We have leftovers and we thought a chicken salad tomorrow would be nice.  


Thanks for looking and have a great week.







26 comments:

  1. Chicken is such a versatile meat isn't it? I no longer eat it, but himself loves it so it is often served here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, yes it is. I am putting more meatless meals into our week now.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good.
    We had a baked chicken for dinner last evening, I stuffed my chicken with herbs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic and a bit of butter - was lovely and did baked potatoes with other boiled veggies..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good and chicken salad sounds even better

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love Ina's recipes, Denise! Her roast chicken is delicious and your idea of chicken salad with the leftover meat is perfect. It's one of my favorite things to do as well! Have a lovely Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. Always look forward to a non-fuss day in the kitchen and also look forward to that chicken salad :) You have a lovely Monday also.

      Delete
  5. I have not roasted a chicken in years. I prefer to roast cornish game hens and stuff them with orange wedges. One hen per person. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always had the best results with Ina's recipes. I have several of her cookbooks on my shelves. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never seem to have a recipe that turns out differently with Ina's recipes. Thanks Ellen, you have a good week also :)

      Delete
  7. Huby doesn't like chicken. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful... AND would you believe I have thyme in my garden that my brother planted a long time ago? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!