Monday, March 16, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - AIR FRYER ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

This Monday's recipe came from All Recipes, made by Bren.  You can look at the original if you click on the link above in red lettering.


Air Fryer Roasted Cauliflower 

Serves:                    2 
Calories:             118 per serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time:      15 minutes
Total time:            25 minutes

3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 cups cauliflower florets

Preheat an air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Cut garlic in half and smash with the blade of a knife.  Place in a bowl with oil, salt and paprika.  Add cauliflower and turn to coat.

Place the coated cauliflower in the bowl of the air fryer and cook to desired crispness, about 15 minutes, shaking every 5 minutes.
Our air-fryer is relatively new and I have been experimenting with different things.

This was an very tasty side dish, and would be great for a snack also. 

It took about 10 minutes as they seemed cooked enough, but depends on how well done you like your cauliflower.  This was just past the crisp-tender stage and it does brown very quickly.

I didn't have fresh garlic and instead used garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon, entirely up to you.

We used avocado oil instead of the peanut oil. 

If I didn't have an air-fryer I would put the oven on at the given temperature (400 deg F), on a foil-lined baking tray, for about 20 minutes.  If you do it this way, don't forget to check it for doneness, and maybe give it a stir half way through the cooking process.  I still like to roast my vegetables in the oven.

It will be fun to try other seasonings, but the smoked paprika and garlic were very nice.

I added half a raw onion cut into chunks, which was left over from another recipe.  We love grilled onions so will use a whole one next time.

Also, I like the idea of using broccoli.

The photo isn't that great and doesn't do it justice but it was so tasty.

That's about all I can think of for now.



Take good care of yourselves out there.  It is a very scary time.  Hugs and love to everyone.



Added note 9-16-20: Valerie from A Mixed Bag asked me about the air-fryer and I thought I would share a photo of ours.  I also found the following information: "An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism.  It is a smaller version of the convection oven."  

My recipes use a minimal amount of oil so it is also healthier than cooking in a deep fryer.  
This is the one I have and what I like is that you can put the basket, and the strainer inside the basket, into the dishwasher.  

I also noticed that the person in the photo is pouring frozen French fries into the basket.  I never thought of using frozen food, and that might be nice if you have a bag of French fries or anything else you want to try in the freezer.




29 comments:

  1. Yum.
    I gave himself an air fryer and can see I need to experiment with dishes like this one.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC. This and sweet potato fries is my favorite so far.

      Delete
  2. This would be such fun to try! Don't have an air fryer though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasting veggies is a good way to go Ginny :)

      Delete

  3. Forgive my ignorance but what is an air fryer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ignorance at all Valerie, this is a relatively new thing for me also. I have answered your question at the end of my post :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Obrigado e desejo-lhe um abraço e uma boa semana continuada :)

      Delete
  5. Pyszne danie , muszę spróbować je zrobić. Miłego dnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję, mam nadzieję, że spodoba ci się tak samo jak ja :)

      Delete
  6. I've been wondering about air fryers; careful someone on fb posted that their air fryer caused their stone counter top to crack which shocked them and many others reading their post including me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, never heard anything like that. Thanks for the head's up Linda. I do pop it on the top of my stove top when using it. Just have to remember not to turn on the elements, yikes at that thought too.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I wish my hubby liked cauliflower. Looks yummy! I do not own an air fryer, I do love the roasted veggies. Stay safe and healthy, calm and happy. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, my hubby likes cauliflower but balks at broccoli, lol! Roasting is my favorite way to cook vegetables. With the air fryer you are limited to a small amount but if you are having company, the oven is the way to go.

      Delete
  8. OH YUM, if only I had an air fryer. this looks really good. I am going to try a pizza made using cauliflower as the crust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, and I have enjoyed the cauliflower crust pizzas.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a great recipe. I don't own an air fryer, so would probably use the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laurie, so happy you like the look of it. I would love to know what you think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cauliflower looks delicious! I have so far resisted getting an air fryer, or an instant pot for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, hubby surprised me by wanting one. Since he enjoys getting into the kitchen to cook now, he is curious about all kinds of culinary things :)

      Delete
  12. We really like roasted cauliflower as well, Denise, and we don't have an air fryer. It's doubtful we will get one since an Instant Pot was tried and returned. That said, we roast cauliflower at 425 for 20-25 min and season with olive oil, salt & pepper, tumeric or Italian seasonings. Also some Parmesan-romano cheese (without the other spices) makes a good topng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very good Dorothy, I'm going to try that.

      Delete
  13. I don’t have an air fryer, but this reminded me that I used to roast cauliflower and we liked it. Isn’t it funny how you do a recipe pretty regularly for awhile and then somehow forget all about it until someone reminds you? Or maybe that’s just me. Anyway, I do have a convection oven so I’ll try this again one of these times. (Might be eating even more vegetarian meals than ver, by the way. Our supermarket was out of meat this morning! Our freezers well supplied already at least for a while. But gosh! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I always roasted vegetables in the oven before we bought the air-fryer. And I have often forgotten recipes I've enjoyed and don't think of until something reminds me. We have the same issues in our supermarkets and we also are okay for supplies for awhile. Then I hope things will have calmed down some. If this virus gets as bad as it is reported to get, I'll be looking into home delivery options. Even then I guess we have to be careful. Who would have thought we would have to think of these things.

      Delete
  14. Now if only we had an air fryer!!! Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasting in the oven is a great way to go. You keep well also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!