Friday, March 20, 2020

SOLO TRIP TO MEADOWLARK

I was able to go to Meadowlark Gardens on my own a few weeks ago, before learning of this awful health scare that we are all going through.  It is closed now and may not open again for a very long time. We had no idea what was coming.

  Gregg was out of town for the week and I thought it might be a good opportunity to do a bit of birding.  I went in the middle of the week, and early in the day.  There weren't too many people around and I was hopeful.
The tiny homes were still under glass in the Fairy Garden. 

As it turned out, I wasn't too successful with my birding expedition, but I enjoyed all the crocus and the pansies, plus the pretty surroundings.  

I made my way along the path that goes by the children's garden. 

The frog was patiently waiting for birdlife as he looked through his binoculars staring up at the sky.    You can just make him out as he sits atop the framework, just off center near the top right of the above photo.  The unstuffed lady rabbit topiary was patiently waiting to be stuffed again so that she could get her girlish figure back. I found another frog not in its usual spot, but lying down between two seats, reading its book looking slightly uncomfortable.  It normally sits near the lake.

As for me I found a quiet, out-of-the-way spot on one of the benches. Behind me I saw a few birds in the meadow which had been planted and left to go wild. Anticipating success I prepared my camera, patiently settling down to wait. 

I was looking for birdlife when I heard a lady's voice. I had noticed her walking at a fast pace earlier in another area, and when she saw me she started a conversation.
She was a very nice lady, very pleasant and I didn't want to be churlish as I enjoy a conversation as much as anyone else.  She started telling me about the garden, that she lived nearby and had visited often.  It was obvious she knew a lot about the birds and flowers, and also mentioned that she belonged to a garden club.  
She asked me if I had seen any of the Bluebirds in the area.  I replied I had not but was told to look out for them as they were still around.  She sat down and showed me photos on her cell phone of the flowers she had taken.  Also she told me about another wonderful garden I had never heard of.  It was somewhere in the Luray area.  I'm glad I wrote it down as I certainly can't remember it now.  It's somewhere and I will have to go on a search!  
As she told me how much she enjoyed visiting various places, I asked if she had been to Huntley Meadows.  She had not and after I described it to her she seemed very interested in my description of the park and said she would go. Another half an hour went by with her telling me all about the area, before she said she had better head for home.  She said goodbye and how much she had enjoyed our chat.  

I found this lovely American Robin not long afterwards, which you may remember if you saw it in a post I shared in early March. 

There was also a goose and mallard pair swimming in the lake...

I never tire of seeing them.
So, not too many birds but I now know of a new place to explore thanks to the unexpected conversation.  We are looking forward to going there one day, whenever that may be now.   But it will be something to look forward to.  

I strolled around the lake, past the gazebo and found another bench to wait patiently for the birds.  However, two other ladies walked by and started chatting, so I silently said to myself that today won't be my birding day, put my camera down, turned towards them and smiled.  

It was a day for conversations not birding, and this time I decided to call it a day as it was time to go home.  I admired many plants, one of which was the Witch Hazel. 
At the visitor center, I said goodbye to Sunshine...

 and walked back to the car.  Another lovely trip to the garden, not exactly the one I intended but one I enjoyed all the same.  When I left I had no idea that it would probably be a long time before I visited again. 

I hope you're all doing okay out there.





40 comments:

  1. Despite the relative lack of birds it sounds and looks like a delightful (and informative) day.
    Stay safe, and enjoy your time at home and the mulititudes of happy memories in your crowded memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a delightful visit. Thank you EC, I wish the same for you :)

      Delete
  2. I think I have been to the garden in Luray twice, but cannot remember the name of it. I have spent the last 20 minutes looking thru my picture files, and could not find it. I likely already posted and then deleted it. Wonderful photos! What is the beautiful yellow and red plant with the long thin leaves? I have never seen anything like it! That is probably my favorite photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I'll find my info eventually, and when I do I'll let you know the garden the lady mentioned :) I edited out by mistake the name of the yellow and red plant you liked. Thank you for mentioning it as I have added the ID. It is a Witch Hazel plant.

      Delete
  3. it turned out to be a lovely day for you with interesting conversation, lovely sunshine and also some birds and flowers to see. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly did. Thank you Margaret, you stay safe too :)

      Delete
  4. It was a lovely encounter, Denise, and better than you expected.
    Hope all is going well for you. I think I will spend my time counting birds in the garden, at least that would be a cheerful occupation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Valerie. Thank you and enjoy your birds :)

      Delete
  5. Looks very peaceful and spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, love the views of the gardens. I like all the garden art, cute shots of the robin and ducks. I have had these days, where children and dogs barking scare all the birds away. It is nice just to get outside for some sunshine and fresh air. Stay safe and healthy! Enjoy your day and weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, and thank you! The same to you :)

      Delete
  7. so glad you could do this before our self isolation thing started. so much beauty. I rather talk to people than look for birds, so this would have been a grand outing.in fact I am one of the ones that would stop people that wanted to be alone. sorry. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sandra, I enjoy chatting but also love to take photos of my birds. And you stopping me to chat would have been very welcomed, as this lady was :)

      Delete
  8. These are very nice photos. I am glad that you met these fine people and conversed to pass the time. You got a lot of information about the area, too. Pleasant day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do have things to look forward to. How nice to get info on a new area to explore. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lots of things, and ones we will never take for granted after this :) Thank you Ellen, you stay safe too.

      Delete
  10. Glad you got the visit in! It looks like a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the remainder of this year is going to be difficult we have cancelled our annual holiday sadly. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to hear that Diane. I hear of many people having to cancel plans that they have been looking forward to. I hope it won't be long before you can travel again.

      Delete
  12. It's a good thing that you had visitors on this birding trip. I was just out and there were house finches all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! We have house finches visiting also.

      Delete
  13. Witch hazel!!! I never would have guessed. Thanks for telling me, this is very special. I have never seen any. Come to think of it, it does look kind of spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, they are aren't they? :) I think there are different varieties of Witch Hazel. Not sure which this one is. I will have to do some research.

      Delete
  14. Not much birding but a great trip besides and you have some wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yogi, no matter how the visit turns out, it is always a splendid experience.

      Delete
  15. Meadowlark Gardens is a pretty name for this place. The different habitats must support lots of different creatures and plants. I like the woodland and water areas. The crocuses look so natural growing in the woodland. It's also good to have an area for the children - very creative what has been done there. You had a lovely sunny day for your walk and sit down and have taken some beautiful photos. Your chat to the lady proved to be an enjoyable experience as you shared and exchanged information. We look forward to such togetherness happening again when the time is right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda, thank you :) It will be nice won't it even if it takes a while :)

      Delete
  16. It's great to have things to look forward to but also wonderful to have memories to look back on. And you sure collected a few lovely memories on this outing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely spring flowers. One lesson is to do what we can when we can because things can change very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Things really changed overnight didn’t they! Our favorite nature parks are closed too. Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly did Sallie. You take care and stay well also :)

      Delete
  19. I am sure regretting not doing a few things...I was waiting for warmer weather! Now who knows how long it will be. But I enjoyed your photos, and glad you heard of another place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, there wasn't much warning to all this was there? Let's hope the time will go fast. Happy you enjoyed the photos, and thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!