Monday, March 30, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - HOW TO BAKE SALMON


I went back to the basics for this one and needed a refresher course of sorts.  I wanted a simple recipe for a piece of salmon I bought for dinner.  Some days you just don't feel like fussing.  This came from Gimme Some Oven hosted by Ali.  Thank you for this simple recipe Ali.  If you want to see more tips you can go to the link above in red.



Baked Salmon

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  

Bring your piece of salmon to room temperature.  Let your salmon rest on the counter for 15 to 30 minutes, until it has come mostly to room temperature.  This apparently helps with even cooking.  Blot the salmon on all sides with paper towels.  

Next, place the salmon skin-side down on a foil-covered baking sheet (or in an oven-proof non-stick skillet, such as a cast iron pan).  If the ends of the salmon filets are really thin, just fold them under a bit for even cooking.  

Brush on all sides (except the bottom) with oil.  Sprinkle with favorite seasonings.  Ali suggests a mixture of garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper.

Bake in the oven (at 450 degrees Fahrenheit) until the internal temperature is 140 degrees, 4 to 6 minutes for every half inch of thickness.  The instructions say you can test for doneness by inserting a fork or knife and twisting it a bit.  The fish should be opaque and flake easily.

Remove salmon from the oven and put on a clean serving plate.  Sprinkle each filet with a good squeeze of lemon juice (or in my case lime juice as I didn't have any lemons and wanted to use up the limes).  If you have any fresh herbs you can scatter those on the top also.

Serve and enjoy!



Once the salmon is cooked it can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days.

You can also freeze it up to three months.

Salmon is my favorite go-to fish lately.  This was an easy, fast and simple way to get a meal on the table.

My side dish took longer than the fish to cook, but I timed the veggies to finish with the salmon.  I roasted a selection of vegetables after placing on a foiled-lined baking sheet, lightly oiled and sprinkled with salt and pepper to taste.  These were put in a 450 degree pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes, turned over half way during the cooking process.  I have a double oven and used it, but you can cook them both either on different racks in the one oven, or on a sheet pan.  The roasted vegetables would need to be put in first and the salmon at the side of them for the remaining cooking time.

I placed the salmon on top of a bed of leftover kale that I had not used in the other recipe, along with a few leftover roasted chickpeas (I made this recipe the day after).  




32 comments:

  1. Looks really good, I love salmon. I poach mine on the stovetop in chicken broth, lemon juice, and dill. So I should try this way as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, that sounds delicious too, and my type of recipe :)

      Delete
  2. It does sound good. I tend to grill salmon - which is quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigado, estou feliz que você gostou desta receita. Um abraço e desejo por uma boa semana continuada para você também :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely way to cook salmon. Using the oven to the full by including roasted side dishes or a baked pudding or cake, watching the different cooking times and temperatures is what I do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting way to cook salmon. I usually cook mine for 20 minutes at 350F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, I used to cook mine at 350 F also, and will keep that in mind next time :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, I love salmon and roasted veggies. Thanks for sharing, sounds delicious. Wishing you a happy and healthy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed my recipe, and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. your food fotos are so good they make me want to eat what I don't ever eat. looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I have taken a lot of notes from food blogs. Their photos are wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Our favourite is this one,:-
    Honey Mustard Baked Salmon
    Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes, Yield: Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds (680 to 900g) salmon fillets
    3 tablespoons honey mustard (1 1/2 Tbsp honey plus 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard)
    3 cloves garlic, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided 2 T and 1 T)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    Pinch of salt
    METHOD
    1 Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
    2 In a small bowl, whisk together the honey mustard, garlic, 2 Tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and salt.
    3 Line a roasting pan with aluminium foil. Brush the salmon fillets on both sides with olive oil. Place fillets skin-side down (if your fillets have skin-on) on the foil-lined pan. Use a basting brush to coat the top side of the fillets with the honey mustard mixture.
    4 Place in oven and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 8 to 10 minutes, until just barely cooked through (please don't overcook salmon!). It's okay if the salmon is still a little rare in the centre, when you remove it from the oven, the residual heat will cook it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now, this sounds excellent. Thank you Diane, going to try this next time I fix salmon :)

      Delete
  9. I always appreciate a easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've missed a few of your Monday recipes Denise so shall remedy that straight away :D)
    The baked salmon sounds nice and easy, especially baking vegies too. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post Denise.
    We love salmon :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!