Thursday, March 5, 2020

AMERICAN ROBIN AT MEADOWLARK GARDENS, VIENNA, VIRGINIA

What Robin Told
~George Cooper~

How do the robins build their nests? 
Robin Redbreast told me.
First a wisp of yellow hay
In a pretty round they lay;
Then some shreds of downy moss,
Feathers too and bits of moss.
Woven with a sweet, sweet song,
This way, that way, and across,
That's what Robin told me.

Where do the robins hide their nests?
Robin Redbreast told me.
Up among the leaves so deep,
Where the sunbeams rarely creep,
Long before the winds are cold,
Long before the leaves are gold,
Bright-eyed stars will peep, and see
Baby robins, one, two, three;
That's what Robin told me.


The weather begged me to get outside yesterday, and go over to the gardens.  I could not say no.  Housework can always wait when the sun shines.

I wanted to go birding this time, but always keep my expectations low as the only time I have been here lately is when the sun has been high in the sky.  Not conducive to seeing the birds or taking photographs.  Still hopeful I went more to enjoy a good walk than anything else, and as I walked along the path I came across the robin foraging among dead leaves. Robin was telling me that spring was on the way and that I should commemorate the occasion by taking its photo.  Thank you Dear Robin, you were a joy to see.  The nest wasn't too far away, an old one from last year, ready and waiting.  

Red from Haiwatha House in his comment said that many are unaware that even though our bird is well known as the American Robin, it is incorrectly named and is actually a thrush.  Thanks Red, good to know and I enjoy learning these things.  Later I read that when people saw the bird when the country was first settled, it was named Robin because of its red breast, which reminded them of the European Robin. 

I believe this poem was referring to the European Robin, but I liked the words and decided to use it.

Thank you for looking 
and enjoy your day.





38 comments:

  1. Beautiful robin - and I enjoyed the poem too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC, so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  2. I REALLY love this sweet poem! We have not seen the first robin of spring yet, but I am looking! Yours is such a lovely picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) Always happy you like my posts. This was the first one I have seen. They will be all over our neighborhood soon.

      Delete
  3. The birds are busy right now. I am lucky I have a good view of Robin putting the finishing touches to a nest that is hidden to other neighbours, except me. I can't see inside the nest but it won't be long before little heads will pop up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I would love to have a close view of a nest and to see their young. Thanks Valerie :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, Denise

    Love your Robin and the poem. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and I wish the same for you :)

      Delete
  5. Many people are unaware of the fact that our "robin " was incorrectly names. It's actually a thrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, how interesting! I am not too familiar with the thrush family. Time to brush up :)

      Delete
  6. Love the poem, and your photo of the robin. The weather has been lovely lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GGG :) I was out again this morning, good to see the sun again :)

      Delete
  7. I like the poem and I like those Robins. There are some mighty big ones in my yard lately. I don't know how they take off and fly. Good pictures of Robin you shared.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, I've had a big one in my back yard again and took more photos. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely photograph and cute birdie what ever it is called. Like the poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Espectacular el American robin, y la foto y el poema son fantásticos. Saludos desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agradezco tu amable comentario. Muchas gracias!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado. Um abraço e uma boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  11. It's good that you were able to photograph it. Usually, birds fly away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using my camera with the zoom so didn't get very close, and was very happy it didn't come out blurry :)

      Delete
  12. While I haven't seen a robin/thrush here in Nashua, NH yet it could be that's because I haven't been looking for any. But, now that I've seen one from your area I will be sure to start looking on my walks. And, I agree completely that housework can always wait for a rainy day...in fact it can always wait, regardless of the weather 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I hope you see one soon :)

      Delete
  13. LOVED the poem, i have never read this verse before!! that's a beautiful picture, my yard has been filled with robins these past few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you enjoyed it Debbie :) Are you taking photos of your Robins?

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photo and I learned something because of you. I will still call them Robins though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are seeing robins now, too. That is a nice poem and I am betting it was written about the European Robin since our robin uses a lot of mud in their nests. Their nests are so sturdy and well built!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right Rose. I didn't know that about their nest building, thank you :)

      Delete
  16. A beautiful bird. I haven't seen any yet, and probably not for a couple more weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!