Monday, June 15, 2020

FOXES

Friday, June 11th, 2020 
Our foxes are back, a new family at least.  Before I go to bed each night I do a nightly check to make sure everything is locked up, and the garage door is down.  There have been occasions when we have forgotten. I also always look out front and back to make sure all is quiet.  This is a habit I have carried out my whole life.  My parents taught me to be cautious. 

As I look through the window I was startled but  delighted, to see a very cute fox kit on our front step, and then it was joined by two of its equally cute siblings. Hubs had gone to bed but I quietly told him about the foxes and he came down.  

We watched as they moved off the step onto the grassy area, where they played for 20 minutes or so, chasing each other across the grass, sometimes in circles, and running around the tree.  One of them spotted me and stopped, statue-like. It seemed as though our eyes locked for a few seconds, and then it rejoined the chase.  

That was the best entertainment of the night, just before midnight.  A lovely end to the day for sure, though I woke up at three a.m., and did a quick check to see if they were still around.  One was stretched out fast asleep, siblings were maybe doing the same thing out of sight.  In the morning they were gone. 

(Not only bears are roaming the area. I wonder how I would have reacted if I saw one of those on the front step?)  

I wish I could have taken decent photos.  I managed a few with my cell phone and though very blurry, at least they are a memory.

This happened last Friday and I haven’t seen them since.  The sight of our foxes was certainly a gift🦊🦊🦊 as who knows when they will be back.   

Thanks for stopping by everyone. 









37 comments:

  1. What a magical encounter with your young foxes and now they have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt magical Terra, not something we get to see that often :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful!! I love foxes!!! So glad you got these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how WONDERFUL. I am so glad that you looked out at just the right time - and I would have looked out if I had woken in the night as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC, these things have a lot to do with good luck I think :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Obrigado e desejo-lhe um abraço e uma boa semana também :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, how wonderful to see them in play without causing any problems.
    Thanks for sharing.
    No foxes here on the Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed and you are very welcome. I enjoy hearing about all the interesting animals in your part of the world :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, the foxes are cute, I would have enjoyed watching them too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been so excited that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep it would have been hard to shut my brain down! I would love to see a family of foxes are even one fox. Your Story made me see them in my head and it was really cute watching them. So far all we have is families of raccoons playing in our yard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I often find I keep watch and don't sleep much after these moments :) It makes me happy that you enjoyed them. We have raccoons also but I haven't seen any of those for a while.

      Delete
  8. Unbelievable how young foxes play. They are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Red, I would rather watch them than a movie :)

      Delete
  9. Great that you saw them and got some photos so we all could enjoy them as well. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, I am very happy that I got these photos to share. You take care too :)

      Delete
  10. My goodness! How wonderful is that? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Denise, I never would have thought you would see fixes in a suburban neighborhood, but thanks for sharing your excitement at watching the kits frolic from a safe distance. I wonder where the adults were during this playtime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy, it is interesting isn't it, who would have thought? People will often let us know on our neighborhood app if there is any kind of wildlife in the area. We wondered about the parents also. Maybe out hunting for supper? :)

      Delete
  12. Exciting. Haha ... locking eyes with a fox IS magical but only when safe inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Penelope, very :) Would love to have been able to give them a big hug, ha! Common sense should always prevail however.

      Delete
  13. Oh what fun to spot them and enjoy seeing them romp. I don't know if we have foxes in our part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen :) I remember seeing an adult running through a wood in one of our first outings in Virginia. We look every time we go to this particular area now, but that almost 30 years ago and we haven't seen any in that spot since. We have seen them in our area, rarely though, usually young foxes. One parent used our storm drain as a den for a while.

      Delete
  14. This would be a highlight for a year for me...probably longer! I do hope they come back and you get to see them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, it certainly was for me :) I hope so too!

      Delete
  15. Wow, Denise how exciting! I adore seeing wildlife doing what they do best. It is a little disturbing to me that the poor little things now have to roam neighborhoods. Makes me think their woods are disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha Ellen :) It was a terrific experience this little moment in time :) I have seen the photos also about deer and wild sheep making their way into the towns more and more. I suppose that will stop once places start opening.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!