Friday, September 22, 2017

COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA TRIP - SIXTH DAY - 9-6-17 - THE SOUND


Corolla, North Carolina Trip 
Sixth Day
Wednesday, September 6th, 2017
The Sound



9.41 a.m. We are watching the weather channel, and Florida is gearing up for Hurricane Irma.  Thinking of all our family and friends, for everyone down there.  People are still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.  We are having such mad weather.  



Today started with Gregg going for an early morning beach walk with his sister.  Too late for the sunrise, just a pleasant stroll along that beautiful beach, worth visiting at any time of the day.  



When he came back we went out for a few hours of looking around.  As we were leaving a little later than usual and it was near lunchtime, we grabbed a bite to eat at a sandwich shop in Corolla, and it also had a very large wine selection.  Bacchus Wine and Cheese.  I can't remember what we ate now.  Their wine selection was impressive but we didn't buy any.



We wanted to explore the area near the Currituck Beach Lighthouse.  When we were visiting the other day we noticed a walkway to the Currituck Sound. On each side of the wooden path there were grasses that towered over us.  



I can't remember their name but they were invasive grasses that had run amok, this from a description on a marker. They did make a pretty picture though.  




At the end of the walk was a seating area with half a dozen people holidaying from Pennsylvania, all members of the same family. 



They had been crabbing and made us aware of two small blue crabs that were nearby. 



They were catching them by tying raw chicken wings onto string, dropping the string over the side and the crab would grab on.  



The person holding the string slowly brings it up along with the crab.  They were letting them go but watching them as they walked themselves back into the sound.  The water was so high that it was lapping over the deck, and it was an easy escape.



It was a chance for me to study them, as well as listening to the family tell me how they were catching them.  I was glad that these feisty little crabs were making it back into the water.



A young Great Blue Heron was standing on the rail.  One of the ladies said it had landed on the rail only a few moments ago.  It looked a bit bedraggled, and at first I was wondering if it was molting. 






He was still a wonderful looking bird to me...


and I felt very lucky to be this close to one, without him being bothered by everyone's presence.  



We chatted to the family for a while and finally left them to their crabbing. 



We made our way to the nearby education wildlife center.  I may be wrong but it didn't look the kind of place the general public could walk around, more of a research place I think but didn't investigate it too much.  We did, however, walk behind the building.  It was built up on solid looking stilts and I spotted this parked underneath.  

It reminded me of the story our guide told us a few days earlier when we were looking for the wild horses.  On the beach we had passed two sites with sea turtle nests.  They had been blocked off by a fence, and we were told the man-made channel that we saw going down to the water, were for the newly hatched turtles to give them safe passage.  There were volunteers taking care of these turtle nests.  



There were other interesting things underneath the building.



I noticed a boat with a large container inside.



A closer inspection revealed these.



I thought it looked like a huge vertebrae but, it wasn't until I saw the following that I understood what it belonged to.  



Sadly it was from a young whale that had been stranded on the Southern Shores.





Next we made our way to a public gazebo built on the water.



We sat for a while. It was very pleasant with a cool breeze. 



From there we walked over to the historic Whalehead.  There were tours of the building but we didn't feel like it today.


  
The Whalehead is a restored 1920's building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 
On one of those trips we hope to make to this area again we will explore further, but for now it was time to make our way back to the house. 



That evening after another lovely dinner, we played Trivial Persuit with the family. Gregg and I haven't played it in years and we had fun, but then it was time to call it a night.  Not sure what we will be doing tomorrow but that's part of the enjoyment of this holiday, playing everything by ear.

39 comments:

  1. Those invasive grasses look like phragmites. They are a menace wherever they get established.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture of the shore; the sand looks like a patterned carpet! Splendid crab pictures!! I always love watching them walk sideways. Blue Herons are so large and impressive. This one looks like he had been diving for fish. The Whalehead is beautiful!! No one lives there, it is only for tours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, as far as I know this building is only open for tours. We were hoping it had a place for a cup of coffee but that's when the lady at the door told us it was only for tours.

      Delete
  3. The crab looks quite alien. Good that they were letting them go. I always enjoy seeing herons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am glad they were letting them go. I see them so rarely, the herons, always a joy to see.

      Delete
  4. we have been in canada and the weather has been summer like, almost too hot!! that young heron is really having a bad hair day, but they aways look amazing!!

    our local baseball team is the blue claws, because our crabs look like this - i don't know if all crabs do. and the people crabing in this area use chicken too, maybe it's very common, i have never been crabbing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot weather down here too, a bit too hot for me. Herons always do look amazing don't they, and I always love those long, gangly legs? My sister-in-law and her mother used to do a lot of crabbing when she was young. I always remember them using chicken for bait.

      Delete
  5. A great boardwalk, Denise and what fun to watch the crabs scuttling!
    I do love visiting historic homes and this is such a lovely yellow color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, seems we have similar interests :)

      Delete
  6. Another delightful tour with you. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Denise, wonderful photos. I like the shots of the crabs and the heron. I have been on that boardwalk trail and to see the lighthouse. Pretty images. Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! Makes me very happy to know you have been on that trail. Happy weekend to you :)

      Delete
  8. such a wonderful holiday. I love eating crabs, it may be inhumane who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like crab too Christine. It's always been a favorite of mine but I was glad these little guys made their escape, and that those nice people let them.

      Delete
  9. Very nice pictures Denise, that Blue Heron looked a little rough but it was great that you were able to get such good pictures of him, I am sure he will look much better after the molt.

    Like Ginny I thought the Whalehead is a beautiful building, that would be a place to go and see for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jimmy, I guess we all have our bad hair days :) That Whalehead building is definitely on our list for next time.

      Delete
  10. Denise, you might know I raved over the picture of the heron!

    Would you please calm your weather down, don't forget we have a lot of it after you. Maybe not as bad but it still hits us when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that Valerie. Wish I could do something about the weather. Our friends have family in Puerto Rico.

      Delete
  11. What an exciting post, Denise! We have Blue Herons here in Montreal and I do see them occasionally, but they never come as close as the one in your photos! How great to have been so close to this magnificent bird! Here they rarely come to the shore, but when they do, they either fly or wade back into the water when they see me coming. (or anyone else). They are very elusive. Your photos are gorgeous, I really enjoyed this tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was unusual for me to be this close Linda. It was amazing. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  12. Love the shots of the crab and the heron. Not often we see close up of crabs, a great way to get them up the where you can see them properly. Another interesting post. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. so very many interesting things to take pics of in just that one spot. the grasses are the tallest I have ever seen and really pretty, but I know pretty things can destroy the environment when they grow in the wrong places. love the swan boat, and the blue crabs that is how my mother use to catch them. I wanted nothing to do with them and would sit in a chair and read while she caught a five gallon bucket full on a string with a chicken neck and a net. daddy fished and when we went home, he fried the fish and boiled the crab, my brother and I would eat neither of them, so we had balonga sandwiches.... it gave mother and daddy several meals of fish and crab. she made crab cakes to....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I enjoyed those memories Sandra. Thanks for sharing them :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you very much and a happy Sunday to you :)

      Delete
  15. Fun so far. That looks like a very wet bird.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another lovely day. Beautiful building too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bedraggled heron is something else! Great photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've missed a lot of your trip, being on my own! :-) Trying to catch up a little. Oh, that lighthouse brings back memories! And Currituck Sound too. Lovely photos, Denise. I know this was an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, so glad my posts brought back good memories :) It was indeed an awesome trip.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!