Monday, August 8, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE - RASPBERRY ALMOND CAKE


I don't bake but rarely, so when I saw this cake recipe and that it had almond paste as one of the ingredients, along with raspberries, I knew I would make it for friends the next time they came over for dinner.  I found it at a blog called The Merchant Baker hosted by Ramona, and you can see the original recipe here.  



Raspberry Almond Cake


Yields 1 (9 inch) cake
Servings: 8 to 12

1-3/4 cups of all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 ounces almond paste (make sure it is almond paste and not marzipan)
1 cup sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups fresh raspberries, washed and thoroughly dried
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Confectioner's sugar for dusting the top of the cake




Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.  Spray a 9 inch springform pan with cooking spray or lightly grease.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Crumble or grate the almond paste into the mixing bowl.  Add sugar and beat on medium speed until combined and there are no longer any lumps of almond paste.  

Add in melted butter and beat until well combined.

Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.  

Add vanilla and mix until combined.

Gradually add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.



Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly to the edges.  Top with raspberries, making sure they are evenly distributed over the batter.




Spoon remaining batter in small mounds,  evenly spaced on top of the berries.  There is no need to spread it.

Sprinkle with the almonds.



Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 15 minutes, then remove the sides.



When completely cool, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.  

Store covered at room temperature.




Thank you Ramona for a great dessert.  Ramona has a few notes at the end of her recipe I think you'll find interesting.  Follow the link at the beginning of this post if you want to take a look.

If you enjoy the taste of almond paste and enjoy raspberries, I can highly recommend this recipe. The cake was delicious and there was none left when the evening was over.

I didn't do this but apparently you can make this ahead and freeze.  I like this idea a lot and will try freezing next time.

For more delicious recipes at The Merchant Baker, you can follow this link.



14 comments:

  1. It does look quite good, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. If ever I weaken on the dessert stakes again this would be very, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Denise. Looking at your pictures made me feel rather hungry. I wish I had the patience to try this recipe. If I did, though, there would be far too much for me to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop! in the name of love, before you break my heart... this is stunning to look at and i want it.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise, a couple of slices of that would go down a treat with my tea when i am out birding, if you weren't so far away I would come and beg some. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Denise, looks like a delicious cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious, I came right over, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks not too hard, Denise, and certainly can understand WHY there was none left. I will look for almond paste on a future shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM... Looks great, Denise. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your raspberry almond cake looks yummy...and a lot harder than my fresh peach and blueberry cobblers. Bud picked the blueberries and I bought the peaches while he was running his big race on Sat. and then ever since I have been baking and freezing for the winter. They are sososo good. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. genie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!