Monday, August 29, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BEST EVER MEATLOAF


If you click on this link, you can see where I got my recipe.  Scroll up and click on the 'home' button to see more.  There are a lot of great ones on here.  The blog is called Pip and Ebby, and its host is Megan.  

Megan's Meatloaf Recipe  -  6 to 8 servings
Total time: 2 hours

For the meatloaf:

2 pounds ground beef
1 cup crushed Ritz Crackers
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

For the topping:

3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce




Instructions for the Meatloaf:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

Spray a 5 x 9 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, crackers, egg, milk, 1/2 cup ketchup, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Mix together with your hands until thoroughly combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly.  

Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet to prevent any spills, and bake in the preheated oven for 1-1/2 hours.  

Instructions for the topping:

In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup ketchup, brown sugar, apricot preserves and Worcestershire Sauce.

Mix well.

Spread half of the mixture evenly over the meatloaf half-way through baking.  Reserve the remainder of the sauce for dipping.

After taking the meatloaf out of the oven, sit for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.



What did I think of this recipe?

I enjoyed it very much.  There are leftovers.  The first night I added a salad of spring greens, sliced green onions, a few slices of mushroom, diced sweet red pepper and a tablespoon of sliced almonds.  I usually prefer my salad without any dressing, but if I added something it would be a teaspoon of olive oil and a dash or two of balsamic vinegar.  The extra sauce described in the recipe I had put aside for dipping, and it was a very tasty addition.

The next day I had a late breakfast/early lunch and added a sauteed tomato and mushrooms.  I also popped a poached egg on top of the heated meatloaf, because in my book eggs go with everything and to me it made it extra yummy.  The other slices I have put in the freezer for another day.

I have developed a recent allergy to milk, and used soy milk instead of dairy.  I found some information here, as I was curious if I could use it in recipes such as this one.  In part it said, 

"In terms of substitution, soy milk can be used cup for cup in the same ratio as dairy milk.  And, it can be used in baking and cooking just like dairy milk.  While the flavor will not be exactly the same, it will be close and you should have a similar final product in terms of texture and consistency."  

You can read more information at the site.  All that being said, this by far the best meatloaf recipe I have made in quite a while. 

Thank you Megan for this wonderful recipe.





19 comments:

  1. Denise, I am getting hungry looking at your photos! I haven't eaten beef in a long time but I am willing to bet that this recipe would be great with either ground lamb or pork, too! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I don't think it would be spicy enough for the carnivore in the house, but it would make a good starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meatloaf, and I can almost taste this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow looks delicious I will try it to do. Love from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good, Denise. I am pleased to learn the meatloaf can be frozen, an essential since there's only me to eat it. I am definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hubby loves meatloaf, and I like it only because I don't have to cook for 3 days plus... this is how I make mine but I use saltines instead of ritz.. and I cook mine in the microwave. it comes out just like this one. the salad looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Denise. Meatloaf is one of our favorites here. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I will give it a try! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum, yum, yum!! i made meatloaf last week...ashlyn requested it! i will have to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Mom's old recipe. She also added chopped sweet onion. Made the meatloaf even juicier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! Love the tomatoes too ♥

    summerdaisy.cottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this recipe ... which you clearly enjoyed.
    Love the look of your salad too!

    Yes, I believe we can suddenly become allergic to food items. Glad you've found soy milk is ok for you.

    Hope this new week goes well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love meatloaf ---and that looks FANTASTIC. Thanks for the recipe. I've never made it with Ritz Crackers before.... YUM.....

    Hope you have a great week. I published a blog post this morning showing some of our Hostas....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denise, another wonderful looking meal, could I use meatloaf cold as a sandwich filler on my birding outings. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a good meatloaf, Denise, and this one looks good. There is a restaurant not far from us that makes an outstanding meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been awhile since I had meatloaf, but I always liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meatloaf is one thing I can make without a recipe which is always nice, but yours sounds better than mine, so I think I'll make some changes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will have to try this recipe sometime; sounds (and looks) delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum... This sounds really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!