Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A FEW TREASURES FOUND AT THE NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART IN WASHINGTON DC - PART 2


We always have a marvelous time at The National Gallery of Art.  It's not that far away from home, only about 25 miles if you make like a crow.  I have a tendency to want to head for the mountains, and Gregg is really great about that and he does love that too.  However, I knew he had been eager to see the city again, and though he has to persuade me more than usual, once I am there, I love it!  That goes for the museums too. Of course he always tells me that I will, and he is always right.  There is always so much to see in Washington DC.  


There are still areas we did not get to see, and you can bet that we will be going back sometime.  But I am sharing what I did see that day.


Explanation of the painting above and below.  I only took photos of these two.  I will have to go back for the others.  I cropped the above painting to show the flowers.  







Miss Juliana Willoughby
oil on canvas 1781-1783
George Romney
British, 1734-1802
Andrew W. Mellon Collection 1937.1.104

The Skater - (Portrait of William Grant)
oil on canvas 1782
Gilbert Stuart
American, 1755-1828
(Worked in Britain, 1775-1793)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection 1950.18.1

Mrs. Davis Davenport
oil on canvas 1782-1784
George Romney
British, 1734-1802
Andrew W. Mellon Collection 1937.1.105


Miss Catherine Tatton
oil on canvas, 1786
Thomas Gainsborough
British, 1727-1788
Andrew W. Mellon Collection 1937.1.99

A Painter's Studio
oil on canvas, c. 1800
Louis-Leopold Boilly
French, 1761-1845
Chester Dale Collection 1943.7.1

There are more paintings that I would like to share, but I will hold off for a while.  I hope you enjoy these.


22 comments:

  1. These are beautiful works. Romney's name struck a nerve- our Gallery has some of his work, including a portrait of the Mohawk leader Joseph Brant that I've featured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful paintings, Denise! One of my favourite artists is Claude Monet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work! Thank you for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so lovely! You did a wonderful job photographing these beautiful paintings. I visited the National Gallery of Art many years ago. I think I need to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galleries are always a joy. I find the more often I go, the more there is to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first paintings are magical! I also like the pretty little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I did enjoy this tour Denise -- and I think you live in an amazing place, where you can relatively easily get out into the country and all those wonderful gardens OR to the City (make that THE CITY) -- whichever you are in the mood for --

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid they sold prints for a quarter each! One that I had was the Juliana Willoughby portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love Washington. I was there for a weekend on my own 3 years ago. I had to go over the pond to work Monday Tuesday so tagged on the weekend. I did so many museums but not this one. Glorious pictures. Wish I had gone. Maybe another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The paintings are stunning. I run an Art appreciation class in my home so this is the kind of visit we all would love also

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work of art. Am glad they are in the care of musuem so that the public can enjoy them too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed that very much, Denise. Sadly, I know little about art, but I find myself enjoying it more and more. That first painting was indeed magical, as was Cole's explanation. Coincidentally, Romney used to live not far from us (but we never met).

    ReplyDelete
  13. the flowers on the cropped painting are spectacular. I was in DC at age 8 but only remember a few things of it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pleasure to see these beautiful paintings.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your fine art exhibition!
    Talented artists, great paintings.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh God i am kind of speechless right now THANK YOU soooooooo much for sharing such treasure with us i am a huge fan of old paintings god bless you dear

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some paintings I have in books (The Skater, Miss C. Tatton, Miss J. Willoughby), some are new for me and it must be great to look at them in original. Thanks for sharing there treasures.
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are such wonderful paintings, it must have been a treat to see them close up. I enjoyed reading Thomas Cole's description and meaning behind the painting. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Denise, this place is a treasure house with some wonderful paintings, art was never my subject I'm afraid so I'm always in awe of these people, mind not bad at painting a door, that unfortunately is about my standard. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful works of art. It has been a long time since we have been to DC. I would love to return for a visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those paintings are so so beautiful! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!