Friday, March 11, 2022

GREEN SPRING GARDENS - 3-2-22 - PART 3

After leaving the pond we walk along a wooded trail that will eventually lead us up to the flatter part of the garden.  First, however, we walk across the bridge over a stream. I heard the crows in the trees and looking up I was mesmerized with that pretty blue sky and the puffy clouds.  It was a great day for walking.

In the next photo we are looking back at a steep incline, which is hardly discernible in this photo.  Out of sight is the bridge we have just crossed.  We usually sit on a bench for a few minutes when we reach the top.  Earlier, as we stopped on the bridge with the woodland stream below, a nice couple chatted to us for a few minutes.  We were all glad to be out in the sunshine.
 They have done a lot of work since our last visit, removing old fallen trees and underbrush, getting ready for the warmer months.  When we get to the top of the hill and turn left, there are several small gardens set aside.  I look forward to seeing it when the flowers start blooming, and always appreciate what I know must be incredibly hard work throughout the year.  Kudos to the staff and volunteers.
In each little garden area, there are hanging stars.
They have been there since before our last visit, but on reflection and, because of the colors, they make me think of what is going on in Ukraine.  As many of us know by now, blue and yellow are the colors of the Ukrainian flag, which is symbolic of blue skies over golden wheat fields. I hope with all my heart that peace comes to them very soon.  
Just before we get to the gazebo, I turn left on the grassy area, and look for the plant I was so taken with the last time we were here.
Here it is, Edgeworthia chrysanthia.  I talked about it in more detail in this post.
It's coming along...
and you can see the flowers starting to appear.  The very nice manager I met on our last visit, told me that it would probably be blooming in mid-March, so we will be going back again next week.
It is such an interesting bloom.  This website will give you more information.  If you click on the thumbnails at the bottom of its page, you will see more detail in the larger photo.
Whenever we have approached the gazebo, it normally has people sitting inside.  
Today the seats were empty and we had it to ourselves.  
It is a very nice place to sit for a few moments.  There is a wheelchair ramp and we took it to avoid the steps.
Nearby were blooms from a small Camellia plant.  Camellias are native to Eastern and Southern Asia.  They can be seen as small trees or shrubs, and are an evergreen.  I read here that they are from the family Theaceae, the tea family.  It says that our iced tea comes from the Camellia plant?
This is a globe sculpture on a small post next to the gazebo.  There is a metal plate at its base with a family's name.  
I have always enjoyed its design.
The Helibores are blooming.  We have a couple of these in our own garden and I am hoping they have survived
I tried a reverse shot of one holding my cell phone underneath.  You can see me trying to keep out of frame on the left, not quite succeeding.  The Helibore belongs to the buttercup family.  There are around 20 species and it originated from Europe and Asia.  It was extensively used as an herbal remedy in the past but due to its high toxicity, it is mostly cultivated for ornamental purposes today.
Lovely to see these purple crocus.  Did you know that Saffron is a product of the crocus?  If I ever knew that fact, I had forgotten. Each plant produces three red stigmas, which are dried and then used for coloring or seasoning in dishes like paella. It is one of the most expensive and precious spices on the planet.
These are all the photos I took on this latest trip to Green Springs.  I will be going back very soon.

Thank you for looking and 
have a great weekend.







48 comments:

  1. There is beauty, serenity, and, the promise of happy, wonderful days ahead...I really enjoyed it all Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place that is. I would visit there often if I lived near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you like the look of the garden Ann, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado, fico muito feliz que tenha gostado. Um abraço e um bom fim de semana.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I love the first sky capture and the flowers are beautiful. Nice views of the trail and gazebo and the globe sculpture. It is a lovely place to visit, beautiful photos. Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just lovely! It is heartwarming to see spring slowly unfold up the continent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those wooded areas are just stunning in the sunshine. the whole place is just gorgeous and i want to sit on that bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thank you :) Over the years we have probably sat on every bench available :) It gives us a chance to quiet our minds and enjoy the scenery.

      Delete
  7. This is such a fabulous garden. I love the hanging stars and you're right about Ukraine. Love that there are resting benches, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I had taken photos of those stars before, and then it struck me this time that they were the colors of the flag. Just started me thinking and wishing there was peace there and in so many other parts of the world. The garden has a lot of benches, all have memorial plaques on them for remembering Loved Ones.

      Delete
  8. The Edgeworthia is such a very strange plant, like from another planet! And this globe, wow! It is so amazing, I don't even know how someone would go about making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) I can imagine this plant is prehistoric (I don't know if that's the case), but I could just see it in one of those movies when the characters are making their way through a jungle, and the fauna moves aside and there's the dinosaur ;)

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see those chrysanthias in full bloom on your blog! Very pretty right now. Love that gazebo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, hoping to get there and take photos of them soon. Not tomorrow, it's snowing!!! The gazebo is very roomy, bigger than most. I would love it in our garden :)

      Delete
  10. We have no spring flowers at our house yet. It is probably a good thing, as the snow isn’t done falling yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about the snow Linda, we have a winter storm watch tomorrow and it is the same system. They say there is a 100 percent chance that it will snow :-O Stay warm and get the hot chocolate ready! :)

      Delete
  11. You have a lovely place that you go to often and sheltered places such as the gazebo where you can sit and rest while out walking are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, we are very fortunate with our area gardens and places to rest :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Me too William, this is the first time we have been able to sit inside for several months :) Don't begrudge people enjoying themselves obviously, but I'm glad it was our turn on this visit.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It certainly is, I agree. Thank you Christine :)

      Delete
  14. A lovely place to visit, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
    Wishing you a happy weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made my day Jan, thank you so much! You have a happy weekend also and all the best :)

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous place to go to.
    Love the flowers and spring has certainly sprung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :) thank you! The weather people promised us 100 percent snow today, but I just checked and there is only rain right now. This is what they say.

      100% Precip. / 4 inches. Windy. Snow this morning will transition to snow showers this afternoon. Morning high of 37F with temps falling to near 30. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

      I am glad we got out yesterday. It was 64 deg. F. and gorgeous. The flowers are going to be so confused. As I write this I hear it is very windy.

      Delete
  16. Oh how beautiful...

    Especially as I sit here commenting, with a March snow storm, outside my window. -sigh- Needless to say, I am tired of snow.

    🚫Stop Time Change🚫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BB :) We have our snow storm too - quite a temperature and weather difference from our trip to the garden :)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful set of photos, spring is surely on its way. The news from Ukraine is so sad and what for just one man's dreams!
    Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, as I look at the snow outside it might take a little bit longer. Let peace come to them speedily. You keep well also :)

      Delete
  18. Edgeworthia chrysanthia is intriguing. I have tried saffron in capsules and they are like a very mild caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, Denise, it was nice that you were able to get out for a walk in such nice weather before it turned nasty. We had a similar forecast on Sa - rain turning to snow, but lucky for us it was mostly an all-day rain and wind event with only a dusting of snow. But, the temps dipped creating slippery conditions on roadways and walkways. Today the sun is out but very windy and cold out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather has improved Dorothy. It was 72 degrees here yesterday!

      Delete
  20. WOW! I could sit there and enjoy the beauty all day!

    Fabulous series of photos, Denise!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you liked my photos Veronica Lee, thank you! A happy continued week to you :)

      Delete
  21. Those yellow flowers are so pretty even when drooping. The gardens are lovely, and I'm surprised to see so many flowers already blooming. There was a rose garden in my old town, and I really miss visiting there and seeing all the different colors of roses. The purple crocus is beautiful. Love that gazebo.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I am so glad you enjoyed my photos :)

      Delete
  22. ps.....I know how much you feed the birds and even the squirrels. I love the birds but don't care much for the squirrels. I think you may enjoy seeing my post this morning, as it shows our squirrels up in the mountains. They look similar to yours I think.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as I know they are not your cup of tea. I will take a look at your post. I'm a bit late catching up but I will be over soon :)

      Delete
  23. I did know saffron came from crocuses, but I did not know it was only 3 tiny pieces from each plant, no wonder that spice is so expensive! That garden is so wonderful in all seasons but Spring has to be the best! Enjoy your next visit even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's amazing isn't it? I'm looking forward to going back to visit. Thanks Sallie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!