Monday, July 6, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - MIXED BERRY CROSTATA

This Monday's recipe comes from Saving Room for Dessert, hosted by Tricia.  You can find it hereThank you Tricia for not only a delicious but very pretty dessert.  Always encourage you to read the original recipe just in case I have missed anything out.  Also there are great recipes to enjoy.
Mixed Berry Crostata

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes



Ingredients

For the pastry dough:

2 cups all-purpose flour
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons ice water


For the filling:

4 cups mixed berries, (blackberries, blueberries and raspberries)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon (I also used the zest)
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Egg wash
Coarse sugar for topping


Instructions

To prepare the pastry dough:

Combine the flour, salt and powdered sugar in the bowl of a food processor.

Add the butter and pulse until it forms a coarse meal.

Add the egg yolk and ice water and pulse just until the dough comes together.

Gather the dough together and divide into two equal size pieces.

Form each piece into a disc and place on a piece of plastic wrap.  

Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. If chilled overnight allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before rolling out.


To assemble the crostata:

Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.

Place the berries in a large mixing bowl.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the cornstarch and sugar and pour over the berries.

Add the lemon juice and toss to combine (if you are using lemon zest add this also).

Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured, clean work surface, roll each half into a 10-inch round. 

You can freeze the extra round.  As there was just  the two of us we didn't make the extra crostata.  We adjusted the filling ingredients accordingly.

(I found a page here to refresh on freezing dough and it said:

"Pie dough is a great keeper in the freezer.  As long as it is tightly wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer-weight plastic wrap and sealed in a freezer bag, it should keep up to 6 months.  Pie dough freezes so well, in fact, you'd be wise to make some extra to keep around for whenever inspiration strikes. For extra convenience you can freeze pie crusts in the pan.  This allows you to roll-out the dough ahead of time, and best of all, the crusts need no thawing prior to baking.  A little extra cooking time is the only adjustment necessary.")

Back to our recipe. Transfer the disc to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Repeat with the remaining dough if you are using and forget about freezing the extra disc of pastry.

Mound half the berry mixture in the center of a dough round leaving a 2-inch border.

Fold the edges of the dough up, overlapping as needed, covering part of the fruit.

Scatter half the diced butter on top of the fruit.

Brush the dough edges with a lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake the crostatas until crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 45–50 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Recipe Notes

Do not make the dough rounds any larger than 10 to 11 inches. The dough will be too thin and not hold together well.
My crostata did not come out as pretty as those in Tricia's photos, but it tasted delicious.  It is the first time I have made anything like this that wasn't in a pie dish and I need practice.  I found a  YouTube video here.  It is very close to Tricia's recipe and it is good to have those pointers.  

I not only juiced the lemon but I also used its zest.  

I bought ready-made puff pastry, the kind that is frozen and comes in two sheets to the box.  

I only needed one sheet and when thawed I placed it on a flour-dusted board.  As they are oblong shapes I used a dinner plate roughly the size needed, and used it as a template to cut out the round shape.  I rolled this out a bit but had to be careful as I didn't want to get it too thin as it will break.  I've used these puff pastry sheets before and have always been pleased with them.  

I used fresh blackberries and strawberries for the filling.  

There are a few slices left for the next couple of days.  

I think that's about all I can think of on the changes I made.

Did anyone ever go blackberry picking?  I would love to hear your story.  On Sunday drives in the countryside when I was very young, my family and I would often find a pretty place to stop and have a picnic.  This was in the 1950's/60's.  Mum sometimes packed sandwiches, but mostly always included cold sausages, hardboiled eggs, and carried a knife for thick slices of fresh bread with butter and cheese, probably a few other things I can't remember, and pop.  On the way home Dad would find a farmers gate to tuck the car into, read his newspaper while Mum, my sister and I walked along the lane and searched the hedgerows looking for wild blackberries.  These quiet country lanes which barely fit one car width, rarely had any traffic and we were quite safe but you know, always aware with eyes and ears.  Sometimes we would collect enough to make a pie and sometimes just enough to fill a small bowl topped with cream for that night's dessert.  Another nice memory from childhood.

Writing this on the 4th of July, I am listening to the sound of fireworks and firecrackers as we enter the twilight hour.  We opened our patio door, stepped outside for a while and watched at least two families, and listened to the giggles of small children. The heat had gone out of the day and it felt very pleasant.  I would gladly sit outside if it were not for the humidity and worst of all the mosquitoes. We are not very fond of each other.  (How on earth did they get on Noah's ark?)  Well, I should say they are fond of me but I definitely don't return the feeling.  The first time they arrive they always take me by surprise and I start swatting.  It isn't long before I have a dozen or so bites. The next day I am itching like crazy, tormented by the fact that I can't scratch while reaching for the magic ointment to calm the fire.  Occasionally one gets inside the house and I wake up with my feet or elbows on fire.  They leave hubs completely alone.  Noah, for crying out loud?

Enough of the jest, we spent our day quietly just the two of us, the first time in many years on Independence Day.  The introvert in us is okay with that and we both enjoyed it, though we obviously thought of our family and friends.  God willing, as my dear old Dad used to say, there is always next year.  He was also introverted but always optimistic.







29 comments:

  1. The crostata looks delicious.
    We often went blackberrying when I was a child. We ate as we picked, and all of us were berry stained long before the day was done. My mother made blackberry jam and blackberry pie - but I cannot remember a crostata.
    The only down side was keeping an eye out for snakes. We often saw them, but they saw us too and slithered away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing those lovely memories EC :) We didn't have to worry about snakes when we were blackberry picking :0

      Delete
  2. It is stunning! Too pretty to eat. You are an accomplished baker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Post Denise. I always seem to read your recipes just before dinner time and my mouth starts watering and my tummy starts rumbling. I love the idea of using the ready made Puff pastry. I 'll try this one. Yes I can remember picking blackberries when I was a kid. They grew along the edge of the road not far from our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, and sorry about that. I like the puff pastry sheets, as good as they are too. They make the job a lot easier. Nice to read about your blackberry picking days :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a very good recipe. Glad you enjoyed your fourth of July. David and I spent it quietly also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny and glad you had a good 4th :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise, this looks delicious. The ready made puff pastry makes it so easy too. Hubby and I usually pick wild raspberries around here. Thanks for sharing. Taker care! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and how wonderful that you have wild raspberries nearby. You take care too and have a good week :)

      Delete
  6. I have picked a mini of blackberry we used to go out with bucket so Mama could make blackberry jam or Blackberry pies are BlackBerry anyting. And she used to fuss at me because I would put one in the bucket and one in my mouth. I love blackberries and have been known to pay $5 for a tiny little container of them at the store! And mosquitoes did not bite my mother but they did by my dad and I and my brother we would be sitting out on the porch in the backyard and we would all be swatting and going in the house and she would be sitting there with not one bite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great memories Sandra and I thank you so much for sharing them :)

      Delete
  7. Mozzies can be a nuisance especially if you want to sit out in the evening. Fortunately
    I don't often get bitten if I sit outside in the evening, if I hear too many I come inside.
    The berries look lovely and yours came out well Denise.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I sat outside again today and eventually had to come back in because of the mosquitoes.

      Delete
  8. What a treat with delicious photos to match. I noticed the strawberries I recently bought are from California, although I generally support local farmers. When I was small, I picked strawberries at a local farm some summers. It was a big deal and a way to raise money for some special treat I wanted and to learn work ethics. I recall it was tempting to eat the choicest berries along the way. I don’t think my boxes got filled very quickly. :)) Now I'm older I realize what hard work berry pickers do with little appreciation so we can enjoy the fruits of their labor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penelope :) I like to support out local farmers also. Nice reading about you picking strawberries when you were small. I agree, all the hard work to get those berries - and other foods - on our table, I will never take them for granted and will be forever grateful.

      Delete
  9. This dessert looks delicious! It's a fact mosquitoes do prefer some people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great recipe to take advantage of the great berries this time of year! I used to go blackberry picking as a child and have many fond memories doing so. On our morning walks my husband always picks me three or four blackberries as he knows I love them. I enjoyed hearing your blackberry picking memories, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen and thank you, kind of you to say. How sweet of your husband to pick those blackberries for you. He is a gem :)

      Delete
  11. Blackberries grew wild in the neighborhoods we lived in north of Seattle. My parents would come up especially in the summer to pick blackberries and make syrup and jam. Our son picked blackberries in our neighborhood and sold them to small local restaurants. The dessert looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very enterprising of your son, and home made blackberry and syrup? Yum! Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  12. What a great looking dessert and perfect for the July 4th holiday. I wonder if blueberries could also be included? I have never been berry picking of any sort. I’m with you in getting bit by mosquitoes or any insect and nothing bothers Pat, like Gregg. We joined neighbors outdoors to watch fireworks on the holiday and I have at least 8-10 red marks from some sort of insect bite.Luckily they are not itching much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy, I believe the original recipe had blueberries. They would go great with this dessert. Your 4th of July sounded lovely! Glad you are in no discomfort from those bites :)

      Delete
  13. Being a bit of an introvert (especially if you both are) is a blessing these days...we also share that trait and don’t get bored easily and are grateful! Blackberry picking is practically a requirement if you live in Lane County Oregon. They’re everywhere ..,invasive and threatening to take over , but ohhh so good. Just a little early for them here yet, but We did buy a small box of Marionberries at the farm store this week (a domesticated variety). Your crostini looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie and yes it helps :) How wonderful that you are near a great blackberry picking patch. I've never heard of Marionberries, I will have to look those up.

      Delete
  14. I picked blackberries many a time when I was a kid, and ate them right off the bush, without any thought of washing them. Life was indeed more carefree in some respects and we didn't obsess the way we seem to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice memory David. I believe we did the same and we survived :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!