Thursday, July 2, 2020

THE NATIONAL ZOO IN WASHINGTON DC, FROM JUNE 2009


I am thankful for old posts so that I can keep my blog going while not being able to share new places with you.  Looking through them lets me relive times such as this one, when we saw the family of Western Lowland Gorillas.  Yes, it would be preferable to see them in their own natural habitat, but I remember being very thankful that we had the opportunity to see them that day.  

I had always hoped back in my teens, and when I got my very first job with a travel agents - the job only lasted a couple of years - that I would become a tour guide and take clients on trips all around the world.  

I enjoyed watching nature shows from everywhere imaginable, and was especially enamored with the animals in Africa.  I loved seeing them at the zoo and that day there was a new baby with its mother.


As we stood looking at this sweet family, we met a nice couple who had traveled from Saint Louis especially to see them, and to attend a related zoo function. They were very much involved with our gorilla family, and knew all their names and history. They also told us that they had contributed to the family's care for several years.  

You can read all about the Western Lowland Gorilla at the zoo’s website here.  Just like the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC, the National Zoo has no admission charge. 






17 comments:

  1. Hello Denise - your Gorilla brought a smile to my face, they are so expressive and those babies how they don't fall off!
    Happy days, hope you are doing ok.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How indeed :) Thank you Wren, and I wish you the same, hope all goes well with you out there.

      Delete
  2. To come to visit the national zoo in Washingston is not charged in ... oh, wow that is so much fun. Seeing a gorilla photo here I want to see it at the zoo. Have a good day. Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Himawan Sant :) It is a wonderful place to visit. Thank you and have a good day also. So nice to meet you :)

      Delete
  3. It is laudatory that populations of many endangered creatures exist in zoos, but a sobering thought that we have destroyed their habitat and degraded the environment so much, that this is their final refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I agree, very sobering thought. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I love looking at these photos of the gorillas. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DENISE






    Hi Denise.
    Beautiful images of the Gorilla with young, my wife and I have had several wonderful experiences with wild Gorillas in Africa over several years. One female always remembered my wife as we always took Oranges and Bananas and she would run to greet us which with a fully grown female can give you a fright, she would then take my wife for a walk and devour the contents of the bag of fruit'
    You band yours stat=y safe and well
    John


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful John!!! To see these beautiful animals where they actually live would be thrilling. Loved the story of your wife. Such a fabulous experience. Thank you for sharing that. All the best to you and your loved ones and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
    2. Dare I hope that you will share your African experience on your blog? Keeping fingers crossed here :)

      Delete
  6. Piękne fotografie niezwykłych zwierząt .cudownie jest wrocić myślami do miejsc w których się było.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cieszę się, że podobały Ci się te urocze zwierzęta. Zgadzam się, kiedy wspominam takie doświadczenia, to jest cudowne! Dziękuję Ci :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise,
    Nice pictures of this ZOO in Washington.
    It's always nice to see the wild animals as these gorilla's.
    So funny with that little one on his back. Maybe you can go back soon?!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marco, many apologies for not seeing your comment sooner. Thank you so much! I hope to go back one day :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!