Monday, July 13, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CRUSTLESS TOMATO PIE


I have made a similar tomato pie but it has been a while.  At one time Quiche Lorraine was always a favorite of ours. This is a similar idea without the crust. I found it at Biscuits & Burlap hosted by mother and daughter, Sara and Pam. The original recipe is at this link.  I like looking at their pretty food photos which helps me decide which dish to try.  I look for a recipe we both like, and more often than not hubs does all the prep work, while I read the instructions at the kitchen table.  

Crustless Tomato Pie - 8 servings

4 tomatoes, sliced
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped 
6-7 leaves basil chopped
2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus extra for sprinkling over top
2 eggs, beaten


Slice tomatoes and lay sliced on plates. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit at least 10-20 minutes, and up to 30 minutes.

Melt butter in small skillet over medium-high heat. 

Add onion and garlic.  Sauté until onions are soft (about 8 minutes). Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

Add cheese, eggs, herbs, and pepper to bowl. Stir to combine. 

Drain water off the plate with tomatoes.  With a paper towel gently blot tomatoes to soak up excess moisture.

Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a greased pie pan.

Top with about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.

Repeat until all ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of tomatoes.

Top this layer with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.  

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. 

Allow to sit 5-7 minutes before serving.

In my first picture at the start of this recipe, for a side I fixed a simple green salad using butter lettuce and diced avocado.  The pie fell apart when I transferred a slice to the plate.  It didn't look as pretty as the one in the photos on the website, but it was delicious none the less.  

The next night we made our tried and true Mashed Potato and Cauliflower Gratin, which you can find here.  It is our favorite potato dish at the moment and we found it paired very nicely with the tomato pie.  

I also put a tablespoon of chutney on the side.  That went very well with the pie. The photo below is the kind we always get.  This was a staple in my family when growing up. We both love it and it is found in the British aisle at our local supermarket.  
This was a "it is time to use up what we have in the fridge and vegetable/fruit bowl" meal, before the next grocery run.  I didn't have any fresh herbs and some overly-industrious (where did all that energy come from?) person (me) cleaned her kitchen from top to bottom, which included the herb cupboard because when she looked at the expiration dates she realized many were way past time.  Just salt and pepper in this dish.  

I added the last two green onions to the sweet yellow onions.  

There was no mozzarella cheese.  It was replaced with cheddar.

Even without the original ingredients this was a very tasty dish.

My thanks to the hosts of Biscuits and Burlap, another great food blog with lots of excellent recipes.






33 comments:

  1. Your tomatoe pie looks and sounds delicious.
    Branston pickle is a fixture in this house. We always have some - something I learned from my parents and my partner from his. It goes really well with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you like the look of it Sue :) I agree about the Branston, it is delicious with any cheese dish.

      Delete
  2. That sure does look nice. I make quiches sometimes and never use a crust as family doesn't like..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, we love the crust but trying to cut a few carbs out of our lives these days :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    I would love this tomato pie, looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen, I am happy you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  4. This one looks and sounds delicious to me and it's something that I could and would eat. Now I just need somebody to cook it for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am lucky with hubs enjoying being in the kitchen. I help prepare some of the items he is not too fond of, like chopping or mincing the garlic, and anything else that he asks help with, but he just loves to be doing his own thing :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting idea of a crust less pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious... But how do you bake, in this weather?

    We have wall A/C units, but do not like to use them, unless necessary.

    ⛄ 😀 ⛄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tasty. I baked this a few weeks ago when the weather was a tad cooler :) I have a list of recipes all scheduled on the blog for several weeks ahead.

      Delete
  7. I need to try some of the recipes you give...this sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make them I would love to know what you think :)

      Delete
  8. Tomatoes will soon be available at the local Farmer's Market in town and this recipe will be a good one to try when we have some. I liked your pairing it with a simple salad too, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) I do enjoy a simple salad.

      Delete
  9. This dish looks like one we would enjoy, especially since it is crustless. I'm eating low carb these days and this would fit the bill nicely. Thank you for sharing your Monday recipes, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, I am very happy you enjoy them :)

      Delete
  10. That does look like a tasty recipe. How nice that you team up to make a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen :) Our teamwork started in earnest in full retirement. It's fun and knowing hubs enjoys it, even more so.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Great, let me know what you think Linda. Would love to know how you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  12. Ha Branston pickle, no chance of that in France but I make my own pickles anyway :-) Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet it is delicious! Thanks Diane, you too :)

      Delete
  13. Yum!
    Your tomato pie looks and sounds delicious.
    Great recipe :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Jan and thank you :) All the best to you too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!