Thursday, July 4, 2019

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY - A WEEK OF QUOTES - PART 4


'Ragged Old Flag'
by the late and great
Johnny Cash

I walked through a country courthouse square,
On a park bench an old man was sitting there.
I said, "Your old courthouse is kinda run down."
He said, "Naw, it'll do for our little town."
I said, "Your flagpole has leaned a little bit,
And that's a Ragged Old Flag you got hanging on it."
He said, "Have a seat", and I sat down.
"Is this the first time you've been to our little town?"
I said, "I think it is."  He said, "I don't like to brag, 
But we're kinda proud of that Ragged Old Flag."
You see, we got a little hole in that flag there
When Washington took it across the Delaware.
And it got powder-burned the night Francis Scott Key
Sat watching it, writing, 'Oh Say Can You See.'
And it got a bad rip in New Orleans
With Packingham and Jackson tuggin' at its seams.
And it almost fell at the Alamo
Beside the Texas flag, but she waved on through.
She got cut with a sword at Chancellorsville
And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill.
There was Robert E. Lee, Beauregard, and Bragg,
And the south wind blew hard on that Ragged Old Flag.
On Flanders Field in World War I
She got a big hole from a Bertha gun.
She turned blood red in World War II.
She hung limp and low by the time it was through.
She was in Korea and Vietnam.
She went where she was sent by her Uncle Sam.
She waved from our ships upon the briny foam,
And now they've about quit waving her back here at home.
In her own good land she's been abused.
She's been burned, dishonored, denied and refused.
And the government for which she stands
is scandalized throughout the land.
And she's threadbare and wearing thin,
but she's in good shape for the shape she's in.
'Cause she's been through the fire before
And I believe she can take a whole lot more.
So we raise her up every morning,
Take her down every night.
We don't let her touch the ground
And we fold her up tight.
On second thought I DO like to brag,

'Cause I'm mighty proud of that Ragged Old Flag."



To All My American Friends here and abroad,

Happy 4th of July, with my thanks to everyone who serves and who has served, and to all those wonderful people who help others, whether it be in their profession or volunteer in any capacity. 

"No Republicans nor Democrats on Independence Day but all Americans, United not Divided."

A quote I heard recently and one I truly love.

Thanks for reading and stopping by.
Blessings and Peace to each and every one of you.  Wishing you Love, Happiness, Kindness, Tolerance, Patience and Respect, all those good things, and in receiving giving the same.
And once again, Happy 4th of July!





28 comments:

  1. I never knew the words to this song. This flag photo is gorgeous! Will there be many fireworks in your neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, there were no fireworks in our neighborhood. Usually they had a display up at the high school but stopping doing that a couple of years ago. We heard a few pops around the neighborhood and that was all.

      Delete
  2. Happy Fourth of July. Love that final quote and wish it could apply all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC, and I way late answering here. I didn't realize I had skipped.

      Delete
  3. But I'm awfully good for the shape I'm in. I remember those words from long ago. I enjoyed reading this, Denise, and wish you a happy Fourth of July. Pity we don't celebrate it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Szczęśliwego , dobrego życia i radosnego świętowania 4 LIPCA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję Ci bardzo! Doceniam te bardzo miłe uczucia :)

      Delete
  5. Um excelente dia da independência, aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigado, desejo-lhe um feliz domingo e uma boa semana pela frente :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra and I hope yours was an excellent 4th :)

      Delete
  7. Love Johnny Cash...

    Happy 4th! 🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi, so do I :) Hope your 4th was great!

      Delete
  8. Lovely words. Happy Day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise,
    Happy 4th of July, always liked Johnny Cash.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  10. I hope you have had a good 4th of July...we have spent it quietly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely one, thank you Rose. We spent ours with family this year, otherwise it would have been a quiet one also like last year :)

      Delete
  11. Belated July 4th wishes to you and Gregg and we know you most likely had a great get together with family. We spent the afternoon with neighbors and watched fireworks in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, now that sounds like a lovely way to celebrate :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!