Wednesday, April 26, 2017

2017 CROSS-COUNTRY ROAD TRIP - FRIDAY, APRIL 16TH, 2017

Austin Area Garden Center
Texas


Sunday, April 16th, 2017

We left our hotel in Austin, Texas at 9.33 a.m. and the odometer reading is 50401.  We are heading in the direction of Lubbock, Texas, birth place of Buddy Holly. He was born on Sepember 7th, 1936, and would have been 80 years' old.  I believe there is a museum dedicated to him (but no, we didn't go to it as it turned out.)
A dinosaur!

Two more of the dinosaur.



And a little closer still.




This was the waterfall we shared in our video the other day.

An insect hotel.....


with instructions.


Growing flowers and vegetables in straw bales.












And instructions how to make one.


I always love coming across these butterfly chairs.


I took the selfie stick along with me but should have remembered the tripod.  My arms aren't long enough!


We learned that Swedish Immigrants settled in this area.


If you click on the sign below you should be able to read all about them.  


How they made these log homes fascinated me.










For the following Gregg took over as I drove for a couple of hours.  He likes me keeping up with our daily journal too and filled in for me. 

2:15 p.m. This is Gregg. Denise took over driving. Going through pretty hill country. Seeing lots of goats and a few sheep. Also seeing quite a few donkeys. Light rain showers. First rain of the trip. 

3:26 p.m. saw first wheat  fields (very large) about 5 miles from Winters, Texas. 

3:56 p.m. Driving through a humongous windmill farm of several hundred windmills in lines on the ridge line. We are on route 153 heading north west about 25 miles southwest of Sweetwater, Texas. Amongst these hundreds of windmills, there are several oil rigs. 

And I'm back.

5:57 a.m. It is me, Denise. We have just pulled into our hotel for the night.  I have enjoyed driving but I am glad our journey is over for the day. 

Popped out for a bite to eat as there was no restaurant in the hotel and we couldn't find a place to buy anything for an in-the-room picnic.  We did find a Long John Silvers open (drive-thru only).  We actually had a pretty decent fish and chips tonight.

 9:47 p.m. back in the hotel room and ready for a good night's sleep.

42 comments:

  1. love the logs, love the log cabin and love that butterfly chair. you are getting really good at taking selfies, these two are really good. so much beauty out there and you are finding a lot of it. that dinosaur looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the walks along water....

    And how interesting, straw bale gardening!!!!!!!

    Stay safe.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am enjoying your trip reports. The gardens is beautiful, lovely tour and photos. Pretty shots of you and Gregg. I like the butterfly bench shot! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting and beautiful post. Love the garden and the flowers from the garden. That is a nice waterfall. I have never seen an insect hotel, so interesting. Both you and Gregg look great with the butterfly photo. The way the log cabin was built is really amazing! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and enchanting place, Denise! I would absolutely love a long walk there, so much to see! And I love the green and the waterfalls...everything! Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you are having a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a lot in a day. It was interesting to read about and I particular liked the insect hotel and the picture of you both on the butterfly chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love botanical Gardens, and this looks like a great one. But best of all, I think my favorites are the pictures of both of you! and you in the wonderful butterfly chair!! An insect hotel, never in a million years would I make one! I love your close up shots of the log cabin! Happy Trails, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I love Botanical gardens also. I find them so relaxing. I would love to have one of those butterfly gardens in our own garden. Not sure about the insect garden either :) but maybe a bee house.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I found that very interesting too Christine.

      Delete
  9. Hi Both and wow you are really on the move and getting a considerable amount done in a day. What a wonderful place to visit, what with waterfalls, dinosaurs and a butterfly bench. Interesting section on the Swedes of Texas. We have the insect hotel at Rutland Water where I help with the Ospreys. Look forward to see where you are next. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I first saw the insect hotel over there. Found the concept so very interesting. All the best, Denise:)

      Delete
  10. I would like to have an insect hotel. Love the butterfly bench, so pretty!
    the log cabin totally fascinates me! truly amazing and yes they were so brave.
    safe travels and happy days!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The garden is a beautiful area- and the dinosaur unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William, it was a beautiful garden and yes, the dinosaur was a surprise :)

      Delete
  12. Wow … those Sweds sure did get around. There are also traces of them pioneering in my neck of the woods in southwest Canada. I love the butterfly chair and you and your husband look quite majestic and happy to be near it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penelope:) The butterfly chair was fun and reading about those brave Swedish immigrants was very interesting.

      Delete
  13. I would love to go to that garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, I feel very fortunate that I was able to :)

      Delete
  14. I like botanical gardens and arboretums and road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful place to visit and explore. I wouldlove it there and lovely photos of the 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Serene and lovely. After a very, very busy couple of days, this post is heart balm.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Insect hotel! What a bounty of photos! Enough for a weeks posts. Love seeing the nice shots of you both. Glad to see you looking so well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia, we are having a great time :)

      Delete
  18. This was definitely a very busy day, Denise, in terms of photos and driving. The cost was worth seeing all the colorful and informative photos and really enjoyed the ones of you and Gregg. We don't own a selfie stick and so extend our arms as long as possible to take them😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beatrice, we often forget that selfie stick and do the same.

      Delete
  19. You are very wise to document your trip this way. Later you can enjoy it over and over! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally Jacqueline. I have enjoyed reading about our travels over the years. It is fun to look back.

      Delete
  20. Great photos....I bet that was a really nice day. Loving the tour you are taking us on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam and happy you have enjoyed our day. The weather was lovely, not too hot and not too cold, just right :)

      Delete
  21. This road trip is so much fun! What a gorgeous, very interesting garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time and now are happy to be heading home :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!