Wednesday, September 16, 2026

ODDS AND BODS FOR 9-16-26 - STARTING OFF WITH AN OCEAN FEELING

Good Morning! How are you today?


I am starting off with an ocean feeling. I lived next to the sea for half of my married life, and also lived on the other side of the Atlantic a mile from the beaches from the time I was 15 years old, ten years before I met dear husband. I was always rock pool exploring and dipping my toes in the ocean. We moved inland when hubby retired from the navy in 1989 and he started his second career. In some ways it feels like yesterday, in others not so much. 



Here is pretty art for the kitty lovers. 


and one more.



Here is my imaginary home this week, which is still in the forest…


and here we are at the back with a lovely porch. Come on over and we can sit for a spell. Let’s wait for dark while we sip on a beverage and wait for the fireflies. 


I have been enjoying this planter box at the back of the cottage. I bet a very talented person could put this together, no problem, at least someone who knows one end of the screwdriver from another.


On my walk through that lovely forest, I have my very own bench to sit and take shelter when it rains. The trees are always welcoming. 



How about a recipe or two, starting off with something delicious to dip our bread?


Ingredients: 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil - 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - 2 cloves garlic, minced - 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - salt and pepper,
to taste - 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
(Optional) - 1 loaf of crusty bread, for dipping. 



Got any French Fries?


Much better birdie. It is a great recipe from our beloved Dolly Parton. I was delighted to come across this. Has anyone ever made it? I also love that it is another slow cooker/crockpot recipe. I will make this real soon. 

Dolly Parton’s Stampede Soup: 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of potato soup
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies - 1 can (15 ounces)
whole kernel corn - 1 pound ground beef - 2 cups milk - 2 cups shredded
Cheddar cheese. Directions: brown ground beef in a skillet and drain excess
grease. Dump beef, cream of potato soup, diced tomatoes, corn and milk 
into the slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 
hours, then mix in the cheddar cheese until melted. This would be great to
take along to a potluck.


Here is another recipe for the seafood lovers.

Baked White Fish with Panko Garlic Butter Crunch - Ingredients: 1.5 pounds 
white fish filets - 4 tablespoons butter - 4 cloves garlic, minced - 1.5 cups grated Parmesan 
cheese - salt and pepper to taste - fresh parsley, chopped - Lemon wedges for serving.
Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (200 degrees C.)  2. Melt butter in a
small saucepan over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes,
Until fragrant. Remove from heat.  3. In a bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan 
cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic butter and mix well.  4. Place fish filets on a
lightly greased baking dish. Press the panko mixture evenly over the tops of the fish.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the topping 
is golden brown.  6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

Our one and only dessert today is…

Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake Bars: 1 Strawberry Cake Mix (1 box)
1 unsalted Butter (1/2 cup, melted) - 1 Cream Cheese (16 ounces) - 1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar - 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract - Fresh strawberries 
1/2 cup crushed golden Oreos (1/2 cup)  Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Line a 9 x 13-inch dish with parchment paper. 2. Mix cake mix with melted butter 
and egg in a large bowl. 3. Press dough into the prepared baking pan.  4. Beat cream cheese 
and sugar for 1 minute in a separate bowl.  5. Spread cheesecake batter onto the strawberry 
crust.  6. Add strawberry pieces to the crust, pressing down slightly in.  7. Top with Oreo 
crumbs and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until set. Cool and Chill.



Hello, I am Denise and I am... 

Birdcrastinating: (verb) When you have a million things to do,
But stop everything just to watch birds, listen to their songs and
forget the world for a moment. 

I don’t think that’s an actual word, just someone with a good imagination and who knows, it might end up officially in the dictionary one day. There are a lot of us out there!

Must be nice! Ataraxia, a state of serene calm and freedom from worry. 
On the cup it says “Just breathe”.

Halcyon, calm, happy, peaceful moments in time. 


A little poetry. This one is appropriate considering that we are fast approaching the last day of Summer on September 21st.

Summer and Fall: Today it still is summer, tomorrow will
be Fall.I see the purple asters, I hear the Autumn call. I
feel the warm sun shining as a balmy south wind blows;
the goldenrod is waving, the bees are in the clover. I hear
a distant honking - the geese are flying over. The maple
leaves are golden; the pumpkins, round and yellow, the
apple cheeks are rosy, the pears are getting mellow. The
nuts are growing rounder, the cornstalks, brown and sear.
By twenty lovely tokens I know that Fall is near. Today I
still am barefoot - oh how I love it all. Nona Keen Duffy.


A few wise words.

There is beauty in the small things. 

And talking about small things …

Tkalla Creations - The Ant’s Secret - Small steps every
 day build great things. One, a tiny ant watched the big animals.
They were strong, fast, and mighty. But the ant knew it had
something too - a big heart and the power to never give up.
The ant worked hard every single day. It carried one leaf, then 
another, then another…it never stopped. One day the animals 
saw a beautiful nest the ant had built. They realized, great 
things come from small effort, every single day. The Lesson:
Little by little, you can achieve anything. “Don’t underestimate 
your small steps. They lead to s beautiful tomorrow.”


I thought this was cute. What do you think they are saying/thinking? She’s away with the fairies again?


Looks like a great place to be. It is magical and good for the soul, so they tell me.


And as we are at the end of today's Odds and Bods, time to send lots of hugs to someone special.  

You!

Have a great day my dear friends
and always remember you are loved.










(My thanks to Pinterest for today’s inspiration.)




20 comments:

  1. Dear Denise,
    What a wonderful post, filled with so much love. The sea—you love the sea just as I do, and you grew up by it; simply lovely!
    Your recipes all look delicious! Yes, often the simplest things are the best.
    All the beautiful photos and that cute seagull.
    Have a lovely day! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elke, yes I love the sea and always will :) Thank you my friend, always happy you enjoy what I share. You have a lovely day too, hugs, Denise

      Delete
  2. These are all good Denise. It's nice living by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I loved our time by the sea :)

      Delete
  3. The Calico kitten is so cute. I love the flower box that looks like houses and the bench with the awesome roof!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all you mentioned Ginny, thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Wow…love all the pictures. I would love to live in that house with the wonderful back porch! 🩷
    Hugs
    Donna🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, so happy you enjoyed them :) Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  5. You will not be surprised when I tell you that I have birdcrastinated more than once in my life! I have not the slightest doubt I will do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not surprised David and I think that’s wonderful!

      Delete
  6. Another adorable post. I especially like the artwork with the seagulls and the lighthouse. In my mind's eye there is a pirate ship lurking just beyond the canvas...
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia :) Ah, the pirates but all’s well, they are friendly in my imagination :))) xo

      Delete
  7. This post has a little bit of everything. I love the seagull. That cottage is perfect. I want to hang out on that porch all day. If I have to move I want to go sit in that chair by the water with a cup of coffee and a blanket. The recipes all look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will join you by the ocean Ann :) glad you enjoyed, thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    I would love to live closet to the ocean. Beautiful images and cute kitties.
    The recipes look delicious. Take care, enjoy your day and the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Una variedad de imágenes, que hace muy interesante esta entrada en tu blog.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm ... last day of summer here is September 21 not June 21st!
    One thing my mom told me about houses in the woods is that after the rain stops the water on the trees keeps dripping all day so you never really know when the rain has stopped. I'd transplant those lovely houses to a more open space where the sun can warm the house in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ups! My bad! Thanks for pointing that out on the last day of summer Marcia, definitely a typo : ) I have corrected that. Good point on the houses but I still love the forest idea, my imagination doesn’t know of those things, lol!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!