We were at Walney yesterday afternoon (the 24th) around 3 o’clock. I was very happy when I saw this beautiful caterpillar on one of the milkweed leaves. I wasn't looking for it in particular, more for the milkweed bugs you can see in the second photo. It was a nice surprise. I positioned my cell phone low and directed it upwards to get this and was delighted but very surprised it turned out reasonably well.
As many of you already know, you don’t ever want to pick one of these up with bare hands. They have a great defense system against predators. That applies to many other caterpillars. And while we are on the subject, as beautiful as nature is, we need a good dose of common sense about it all don’t we, and a bit of knowledge helps? This is something I have learned myself over these many years. I feel like I am still learning every day just by stepping out the front door.
There is a very interesting article to read here.
I will say more in another post. It's late and time to put my laptop away.



*Wow*—that caterpillar looks fascinating; I’ve never seen anything like it. Oh yes, even at our age, you’re always learning something new!
ReplyDeleteHappy day , hugs Elke
Thank you dear Elke and very true. You have a happy day also. Hugs, Denise
DeleteOh my GOSH! I have never seen anything like it!! It is both frightening and beautiful. When I was a child, I used to grab all the caterpillars I could find and put them in a jar. Of course then I let them go. I guess I barely escaped being injured! Don't forget the Mary Oliver doc!
ReplyDeleteHi Ginny! I am trying to remember if I have ever seen one before. I think I have but it was a very long time ago :) lovely childhood memory. Thanks for sharing. Also thank you for reminding me about Mary Oliver, I will go take a look right now to see the timing. Very much appreciate you doing that. Thank you so much!
Deletethat is the most glorious caterpillar! we have some here in australia that can make you itch badly so you have to be careful under trees :)
ReplyDeleteA great description Sherry. Never thought about that about the trees :)
DeleteIt certainly a beauty, Denise.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret, I'm happy you think so :)
DeleteOh wow, that's a very fancy caterpillar. I remember the first time I came across an elephant hawk moth caterpillar and wondering what on earth it was. Nature is amazing with all these beautiful, and some not so beautiful, creatures.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is Jo :) I'll have to look up your caterpillar. very much so on your last sentence.
DeleteI've never seen a caterpillar like this one. I hope he's not a hungry caterpillar.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
I think he was a very hungry caterpillar Amalia :) xo
DeleteWhat a fascinating caterpillar. Glad you were able to get the photos.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ann, I was happy too. I took a lot of other blurry ones and was very happy when I saw these :)
Delete‘Tis their season. They seem to be wandering everywhere of late.
ReplyDeleteYes indeed, I saw dozens and dozens of milkweed bugs especially. I will keep looking for the caterpillars :)
DeleteGood work with the phone. Too bad it doesn’t work well with quick-flitting bees. I have tried and been disappointed.
ReplyDeleteThank you John! Flitting bees is another matter. I have been lucky to take one or two with the phone when I have caught them sleeping on a bloom. Hopefully, as they progress, the phone will one day be able to take a photo of your quick-flitting bees.
DeleteSuch a beauty!
ReplyDeleteVery much so :)
DeleteWhat a fabulous insect! It looks so splendid.
ReplyDeleteI am happy you think so Janice, thank you :)
DeleteSo beautiful. Thank you for your love for me. I’m grateful for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for seeing its beauty Regine. And you are very welcome dear friend, you will always have it. I am also grateful to you for your wise and powerful words.
DeleteHow beautiful it is! But untouchable...
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Very untouchable Donna, but beautiful indeed :) hugs, Denise
DeleteI've seen these on my milkweed plants, in fact, I should share all the little ones I saw recently. You got a super photo though, and I'm with you, you can learn so much just stepping outside your door. Thanks for sharing Denise.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome Erika. I am looking forward to seeing your photos too :)
DeleteFYI- I put a photo of all the little ones on the milkweed leaf on my post for tomorrow, just in case you're interested.
ReplyDeleteWonderful, I'll drop by then too :) thanks for letting me know.
DeleteI'm in the 'never seen anything like this' club. Wow
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot in your club I'm sure Sandra :) I keep thinking I have seen one before but now not sure it was a picture of one. Whenever or whatever it was, I really enjoyed seeing it as if for the first time.
DeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Christine :)
DeleteI like the fluffiness of this caterpillar! Great photos!
ReplyDeleteYes, and he's very different isn't he? Thank you Ellen :)
DeleteI too just read an article about these moths. Like monarchs they feast on the milkweed and its toxic sap. I saw another photo of a huge caterpillar here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNPeriDUyKNHOsyYkrDqocYYB1P-Q0UC4em4raf1-QHEyAkIDX6FNzvK1UEdkQUfA?key=ZlQ0dm12S0hDalUyd3ZYOExqd0FwTWdwVFJyNkJB
ReplyDeleteIt's called a cecropia moth caterpillar. Reminds me of a tomato horn worm also a caterpillar.
Hi Marcia, thanks for sharing the website address. I will be very interesting in reading it :)
DeleteBeautiful shot! It’s amazing that your cellphone can take such pictures with clarity.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Gigi. I say the same thing about this phone I have. It takes much better photos than my old point and shoot. I still took a lot of blurry ones and was getting disappointed scrolling through them, and then these two popped up. I was a happy camper that I had something to share of this little beauty.
DeleteThe black,and orange coloring of that caterpillar would have caught my eye!
ReplyDeleteI was really surprised to come across it. I was actually looking for the milkweed bugs and was stooped trying to look at the milkweed pods, when I spotted this one :)
DeleteI believe I recall Milkweed is the place where caterpillars hang out before they become
ReplyDeleteMonarchs...
Hugs cecilia
Very true Cecilia, I have been learning about them. Hugs, Denise
DeleteThat is very cool!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, I agree with you. It was a very cool little caterpillar :)
DeleteI've seen these at Blue Run park before and know not to touch! You got some amazing photos! WOW!
ReplyDeleteThank you Diane, I enjoyed finding them, both moth and milkweed bugs :)
DeleteLinda polilla. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteMuchas gracias, me alegra que te haya gustado. Te mando un beso :)
DeleteWe actually know vey little who the critters are around us and less about them.
ReplyDeleteI agree Red, and yet they play a very important role our environment don't they?
DeleteI skimmed over the post.. I have a massive bug phobia.
ReplyDeleteI understand completely Hena :)
Delete