Monday, July 27, 2026

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - BUTTERMILK AND BLUE CHEESE MASHED SWEET POTATOES

I found this recipe at LivingLou.  I have tried two of Lou’s recipes before and if you click on the label ‘Living Lou hosted by Louisa Clements’ below this recipe, it will take you to them. You can also see other sweet potato recipes I have tried at this link.


Buttermilk and Blue Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes - serves 6


4 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into eighths 

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup blue cheese

1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives or green onion


Boil salted water in a large pot (use about 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt in the water). Carefully add sweet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until soft enough to mash. Drain and return to pot.

Add salt, buttermilk and butter (see my notes below). 

Mash using a potato masher until it reaches your desired consistency.

While still warm, stir in blue cheese and garnish with chives.


This was very tasty I served it with quinoa, and a spring green salad with diced sweet red bell pepper.

The creamy flecks are the crumbled blue cheese. If you don’t like this cheese, it would be easy enough to leave out.

The buttermilk gives it a little bit of a tangy zip but you can use regular milk if you don’t like that, or a plant-based milk.

I also didn’t use all the buttermilk called for, as I didn’t want it to get too soupy.  My potatoes may have been smaller but you be the judge on what consistency suits you best and how much liquid you add.

There are leftovers. I filled several freezer-proof containers (1 cup portions) and put them in the freezer. 


I try to remember to add the full address so that you can copy and paste rather than use the link at the top of the page if you prefer.

https://www.livinglou.com/buttermilk-blue-cheese-mashed-sweet-potatoes


If you have any questions leave them in the comments and I will be happy to answer if I can.





44 comments:

  1. This may even make sweet potatoes taste really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those who like sweet potatoes Ginny :) not everyone does I know.

      Delete
  2. What a recipe—I’m always amazed at the things you find! I’d certainly give it a try. *wink*
    My partner doesn't go for that sort of thing; he’s more into hearty, home-style cooking!
    have a good monday, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Elke. On this dish my dear other half and I think differently too :) He usually eats something else when I fix it. You have a good morning also. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  3. It certainly looks good, Denise. I don't eat sweet potato as it doesn't appeal to me at all but of course I've tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I never tried sweet potato until well after I got married. Gregg doesn’t care for them but I do and have a hankering for them every once in a while :)

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious. I do like sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely side for those who enjoy sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t particularly care for sweet potato although Sue makes a dish that is sort of tolerable. But she recently ordered sweet potato fries at the restaurant. I tasted them, and they seemed quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and my husband would agree :) I will have to make those French Fries. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  7. Interesting recipe, I do love sweet potatoes. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never even thought of adding blue cheese to a sweet potato! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither but speaking for my own taste, I enjoyed this combination very much :)

      Delete
  9. Dear Denise :)
    My daughter Eva cooks all my meals and is an excellent cook. We, Pedro and I eat varied and delicious meals so I feel I can't ask Eva to try other recipes as she does so much already. We love sweet potato though, and eat it grilled with other vegetables..
    The temperature is rising again, again Denise, I think we are going to get another heatwave. :(
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva (and Pedro) sound like wonderful children and how very thoughtful that Eva cooks all your meals :) the way she cooks sweet potato sounds delicious. I am sorry to know about your returning heatwave dear Sonjia. I hope you can stay cool. I have these neck wraps designed to put in the freezer to wear in severely hot weather when I go out walking. I wish I could give you one :) all the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  10. I am not sure about mixing sweet potatoes with blue cheese - but I'd give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it in a small portion off to the side first would be my advice :)

      Delete
  11. I love sweet potatoes, but not bleu cheese. I usually have them on hand. They are excellent with pork.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, I am another one who does not like Bleu cheese, but I bet my husband would like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that you included little notes about adjusting the buttermilk because recipes often need a bit of personal tweaking depending on the ingredients. The combination of sweet potato, blue cheese, and chives sounds really interesting, especially served with quinoa and a fresh salad. I might have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you do. I like to add them hoping they would help others. I have made soupy potatoes in my early days of cooking. Thank you, if you do I hope you enjoy :)

      Delete
  14. Wonderful recipe and so pretty too
    We have just veggie suppers about 2 days a week
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia :) we are making more and more meatless dishes these days. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  15. Hello! I LOVE sweet potatoes! Thank you for this. Have a cozy afternoon, my friend. It is rainy here, so it is very cozy. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hello to you too my friend :) so glad and you are very welcome. I am happy you are enjoying your cozy rainy afternoon. It’s sunny up here but looks like we will be getting rain later this evening.

      Delete
  16. Looks and sounds tasty Denise ... and I like blue cheese!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Jan, thank you and all the best, Denise :)

      Delete
  17. These look very tasty! I love a good mash and sweet potatoes/yams too. Hope it was a super Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Erika :) me too. Had a lovely Monday thank you. I hope you did too.

      Delete
  18. i love sweet potatoes, but have never prepared them in a savory way. i have always made them in the traditional way "extra sweet"!!! i'll bet these are delicious, i love blue cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to just roast one like a baked potato and pop it on my plate. I love them that way and I like them your way too which I make at Thanksgiving :) I’m glad you love Blue Cheese. Maybe you would enjoy this recipe.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!