We had a lovely walk on the 10th at the garden. It got a bit hot and humid the longer we were there though, and we knew when it was time to go home. In the meantime, we took lots of photos of our surroundings. I thought I would share what Gregg took today. When I got home and downloaded his photos, I saw a small bug on one of the flowers. I tried to identify it but didn't see any that had its exact pattern of markings. Maybe someone might recognize it. I cropped it for a closer look, a bit fuzzy.
Here is another skipper. I didn't see a lot of butterflies again, maybe one cabbage butterfly. Hopefully there will be more as the summer progresses. I asked Google about this one and it said it is a Sachem (Atalopedes campestris), a type of grass skipper commonly found in North America. Another interesting bit of information was that I read it appears to be a female as it is darker with lighter markings in the center of the wing, lacking the prominent stigma found in males. I was also given the information on the flower it was feeding on - a Globe Amaranth, which is commonly planted to attract pollinators like butterflies.
Next is the house we both love and always take photos of and share. It's not a cottage but this would definitely be imaginary home. I have always loved this place.









I put your bug in AI, and it is a large Milkweed Bug. Which fits, since there was Milkweed there. Gregg is a wonderful photographer. And the Skipper photo is really good!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ginny and for id'ng the bug. I'll have another one on tomorrow's post. I'll pass on your compliment to Gregg, he will be quite chuffed.
DeleteI've seen a big like that, Denise the one I know has a distinctive smell to it.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers are lovely and thanks for sharing them.
That's interesting Margaret, glad you liked them and you are always welcome :)
DeleteThat is an excellent insect in flower photo.
ReplyDeleteThank you friend, glad you thought so :)
DeleteThe little bug is well camouflaged on the flower.
ReplyDeleteI like the decoration on the bench - very attractive.
Thank you Janice, I agree on both the bug and the bench. I wish I had the bench in my own garden :)
DeleteI have no idea what that bug is. All the flowers are so pretty. What a great place to visit.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ann, it has always been a favorite of ours :) Ginny id'd the bug :)
DeleteConeflowers are my favourite!
ReplyDeleteThey are a beautiful flower aren't they Angie? :)
DeleteThese are wonderful flower photos again—the colors are magnificent, and I love that patterned bug, too! The moth is something special as well! What a fantastic dream home! Thanks for sharing this garden visit!
ReplyDeletehugs Elke
Thank you much :) I am so glad you enjoyed everything here. You are very welcome dear Elke. Hugs, Denise
DeleteDear Denise :) This is a lovely place to take walks and enjoy the garden flowers. I like Cone Flowers and Greg did a fantastic job of photographing them. I almost never see insects on leaves or flowers ,, and am pleasantly surprised when I discover them whilst editing. I see someone has given you the name of the one you couldn't find. Blog frinds are good that way. :) I love the house too, and the Skipper photo is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteHave a happy week
All the best
Sonjia.
Thank you dear Sonjia, I will let him know you said that. He will be so pleased :) Yes, insects are often a happy surprise. I can often rely on you all for an ID. Part of the joy of blogging, you are all so willing to help :) You have a happy week also my friend. Hugs, Denise
DeleteI have posted a similarly coloured flower today, but I think my petals go the other way which makes it a coneflower. But perhaps I am not seeing correctly.
ReplyDeleteI shall look forward to seeing it John. All part of the fun of discovery in this flowerland we visit :)
DeleteThose flowers photos are gorgeous. It's always fun to visit gardens. Too bad for the heat, but the plants seem to love it, don't they? Have a great Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteThank you Erika, I always enjoy seeing what Gregg sees through his camera lens. Always an adventure :) Yes, the heat is quite horrid, I don't know how I would manage in the tropics, not very well I think. You're right, the plants and the butterflies plua seem to love it. You have a great Tuesday also :)
DeleteLovely spot to wander about in. Glad you found a bench in the shade too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Marcia, that shady spot was very welcome :)
DeleteGreg took good photos. I have not heard of a Skipper. I need to look it up.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandra, he has a great eye for such things. I'm glad I introduced you to the skipper :)
DeleteSo many times I've seen something in a photo which I didn't see at the time of taking it. I love those white echinacea, so elegant.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jo, very happy you enjoyed. The fun of discovering hidden things always gives me an ah-ha moment :) The white echinacea is a beautiful flower isn't it?
DeleteWe have enjoyed two days of cooler weather but the 3 H's are on they way back 100 by Thursday. Thank Gregg for the snaps.
ReplyDeleteHugs cecilia
That's wonderful, I hope we will get the same but oh dear, didn't last very long, did it? I expect it will be the same here. I will pass on your message to Gregg, thank you so much! Hugs, Denise
DeleteHello Denise,
ReplyDeleteThe flowers are beautiful, lovely photos. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.
Hello Eileen, thank you and you take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead also :)
DeleteLovely photos, stay cool!
ReplyDeleteThank you Christine, I will do my best :) You too!
DeleteInteresting bug. Its coloring matches the center of the flower it is feeding on.
ReplyDeleteYes, good camouflage I'm thinking Sandra :)
DeleteThat bug is very colorful. I love all the flowers.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mary, I thought so too :)
DeleteWe have coneflowers in our garden and we love them! However, the deer love them too so it is mostly coneflower stems that we see!
ReplyDeleteHello Kay, and oh dear on the deer :) I have heard this about them :)
DeleteSuch a variety of coneflowerrs! That sounds like a nice walk. The house is quite stately, with very nice lines. I would like it better if it had a front porch, but maybe there was a porch on the back.
ReplyDeleteAlways a lovely walk, it really is wonderful! I agree, the house would look lovely with a porch. I don't think they have one on the back either but I'm wondering if when it was first built, maybe? I have come across several old homes like that.
DeleteLindas flores. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteGracias, me alegra que te hayan gustado las flores. Te mando un beso :)
DeleteYour husband took some nice photos of the flowers, Denise. Those cone flowers are unusually pretty. I can see why you like that charming cottage so much. I hope you are enjoying these summer days.
ReplyDeleteHello Sheri, thank you, I will show him your sweet comment. I love all that you mentioned, much appreciated. Enjoying the summer days, the heat up to a point, but most definitely not the humidity. I am trying not to complain too much though, ha!
DeleteWhat a great place to visit girl. Where was it? Gregg took some beautiful pictures. I guess like Ginny said - a milkweed bug?
ReplyDeleteHi Sandie, it sure is. I think you would love it. It's in Alexandria, Virginia, about 30 minutes away from us. A lovely place to visit. Yes, it's a milkweed bug, an interesting angle to the usual photo we have taken of them. Too hot though! I had to cut our trip short because of the heat.
DeletePlease thank Gregg for these lovely photographs, and thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
You are very welcome and I certainly will Jan. Thank you so much. He will be delighted you enjoyed his photos. All the best, Denise
Delete