Saturday, July 11, 2026

SATURDAY MORNING AT THE BIRD FEEDER, SORT OF…

Not that I can read the mind of a gull flying overhead, but there was this one the other day.



And not a French fry in sight. He is trying to eat healthier also.  

Are those sardines up there? We are going to be very brave and open up a can this weekend. It's a super food and we're trying such things lately. Gregg's dad and my dad were big fans of sardines. I remember eating them as a child. Anyone out there like them? If so maybe you have an idea how we can add it to something, to make it more palatable to the non-fishy fish eaters.

The birds have been scarce at the feeders lately and that’s how it's going on this

Saturday Morning at the Bird Feeder.


Thanks for the visit and have a great weekend.







 

40 comments:

  1. I only know smoked sardines from a can—eaten with fried potatoes or on bread. My partner doesn't like them.
    I only know smoked sardines from a can—eaten with fried potatoes or on bread. My partner doesn't like them... As for the birds, they’re gone too fast for me to photograph them.
    happy day.hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a delicious accompaniment Elke : ) I remember eating them as a child and didn’t enjoy them much. I am hoping my adult self will have changed her mind, lol! I hope I can take photos of birds this week. I will keep my fingers crossed :) A happy day and hugs to you also, Denise

      Delete
  2. We eat quite a few sardines with onions in a teriyaki type sauce over rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that idea Kay, sounds good :)

      Delete
  3. No sardines for me. But Phil likes them, and puts them on crackers. Better hurry before this cool Gull eats them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Gregg would do the same as Phil :) I think we would lose them if left up to the gull, lol!

      Delete
  4. I've tried many times to eat healthier and I always fail but I keep trying....lol My old boss made me try a sardine one time and I did not like it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The important thing is we keep on trying Ann. If my old boss made me eat one, I don’t think I would like it either :)

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, gulls and fries. They were quite a thing at our former location down by the river. There were three chip trucks and probably three million gulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that’s a sight I would have loved to see :)

      Delete
  6. Denise you nailed this with words and art work
    Bryan and I enjoyed reading the info on my blog yesterday about all the willdlife you had in CA
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that Cecilia :) our blogs are fun to look through are ‘t they? Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  7. Hubby bought sardines lately. I let him experiment as I watch. :) Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks an excellent way to experiment Ellen ;) I hope your Saturday was great :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Loved this one, my friend. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Billie Jo :) you have a lovely weekend too my friend.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, I should consider them for I heard they are good for all sorts of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Val :) we still haven’t opened that can yet but hopefully soon :)

      Delete
  10. My mom liked sardines, but there is no way on earth I would eat them. LOL A mental thing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you commune with the birds and I'm sure you're right most of the time! Yes, I should eat more fish also... Have a beautiful weekend Aloha Have a beautiful weekend. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cloudia, thank you for the sweet words. You have a beautiful weekend also and yes, let’s both eat more fish :)

      Delete
  12. I like sardines as well. Great in salads. Some cans might be less fishy than others. Though it's been forever and a day since I had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Ivy :) thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
  13. Bueno fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias :) Espero que hayas tenido un fin de semana maravilloso. Te mando un beso.

      Delete
  14. Cute gull and captions. Sometimes my birds are missing, I think there could be a hawk around. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) I wondered about a hawk. You take care too and I wish you the same.

      Delete


  15. Cute post.
    Sardines are a super food ... you may get a few ideas here:-

    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2019/12/s-is-for-sardines-great-super-food.html

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the link Jan. I will check that out :) all the best, Denise

      Delete
  16. We enjoy sardines, Denise, and this post had me thinking that we haven't had them in a long time. I know that some people eat them in sandwiches with onions. And I also know they are good super foods so maybe it's time we gave them another try as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Dorothy :) They say all the right things about them from what I have read. Thank you for the idea.

      Delete
  17. I don't like sardines but a friend does. She often uses them as a flavor in something she is making that has no connection to fish. She says they add great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting Sandra, I will have to investigate that :) Thanks for letting me know about your friend.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Ah Jenn, you made my day :) thank you so much!

      Delete
  19. we once saw a seagull steal a bagel from a little boys hand. he cried...i would have too!! i would not cry over a lost sardine...good luck with expanding your palate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, poor little boy. Thanks for the good luck wishes Debbie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!